The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 10, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
bbamericanb

When to buy supplies for build

Hi I have an ar lower and was planning to eventually build an ar-15. I want to know if an assualt weapon ban is put in place would you be able to buy an upper or any parts? So should I buy what I need now or can I wait? Thanks alot.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
djcantr

Any response to this would be speculation.

I would think rifles configured in a certain manner would be banned if a ban were put in place. Might include flash hiders, bayonet lugs, adjustable stocks, high capacity magazines, etc. The lower is the serialized portion of the firearm. Your lower means you legally already have an firearm, it's just not functional. I don't see how barrels, stripped uppers, BCGs, LPKs, etc would be banned as they are simply parts and the lower is the firearm but there would certainly be a rush on those parts if there was a ban in the works which would make them very hard to get. Certain parts aren't easy to find in stock as it is.

I'd proceed as normal with putting together your AR. If you really thought there was going to be a ban you'd already have a bunch of parts.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Nathan

I would buy and build. Prices are up a bit, but not stupid IMO. Will skyrocket with any kind of ban or serious threat.

No idea what would happen in a ban. That is because gun banners want everything that can be called a gun banned. Americans, real ones, want the freedom to buy anything at free market prices!

So, there would be compromise like the GOPA or NFA gun bans.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Mobuck

Two years ago would have been cheaper. You have already waited too long since nearly every part and piece is out of stock, back ordered, or unavailable. Build or buy what you want and if it becomes verbotten later just keep your trap shut.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
BillyJack3

If you find a BCG, get it. Good ones are going as quickly as they are coming in stock.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Metal god

I would look at what was ban last time and start there . 30 round mags , threaded barrels .

I started a thread some what like this a month ago . Mine was more about If you already had the stripped lower and they had some grandfather clause in the law . Would you then be able to put it together with pre-ban parts cus technically you had the gun before the ban .

The lower receiver is the gun , everything else is just add ons . I bought a few stripped lowers a while back . How can anyone know or tell which ones I've put together and how they are configured .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 11, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Quentin2

It might not hurt to keep all your receipts for parts to prove the rifle was completed before the ban. Who knows? The lower's serial number proves when it was manufactured but it wasn't a complete firearm at the time. I really don't know how a new law would look at an AR build. Receipts might help.

Of course complete, factory assembled ARs get new uppers and other parts. With all the upgrades done to ARs, who can say when it is completed!
Old December 11, 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
CTUAgent247

I'm building an AR right now and I'm trying to get it done as quick as I can before an AWB is passed. I'm sure it won't be for a while, but it is a strong possibility that it will happen in this term. I'd rather buy the parts now while they're cheap rather than pay an arm and leg for a BCG lol
Old December 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #9
oldsoonershooter

I'm currently trying to buy everything and anything I can relating to the building of AR 15s. Prices won't get cheeper as long as the current regime is in power. What will happen is that parts will be harder and harder to find. If there is a second "Modern Sporting Rifle" ban, they will have learned all the mistakes they made in the first one (mistakes from their point of view) not ours. There is no best time to buy. Just buy it when you can find it and afford it.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:41 PM   #10
scsov509

Panic buying just hurts everyone fellas. Best thing to do if you're really worried about another AWB is take a few of those dollars and give them to a group like the NRA that will use them to fight and protect our rights.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Revoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsov509
Panic buying just hurts everyone fellas. Best thing to do if you're really worried about another AWB is take a few of those dollars and give them to a group like the NRA that will use them to fight and protect our rights.
Just like they did for the first AWB right? Didn't the NRA even have a hand in passing the first AWB?

To the OP, buy the major components now and worry about accessorizing later.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:21 PM   #12
scsov509

Quote:
Just like they did for the first AWB right? Didn't the NRA even have a hand in passing the first AWB?
You're kidding me, right? The NRA spent many millions of dollars lobbying to elect pro-gun legislators during the Clinton administration, and it was through those legislators that the "sunset clause" was written into the 1994 AWB. Then in 2000 and 2004 the NRA continued spending and campaigning for pro-gun Senators and Congressman as well as a pro-gun President, so that when the sunset arrived in 2004 there was sufficient support to see that the AWB expired. They spent over $40 million in this most recent Presidental election campaigning for pro-gun legislators, including several million in October alone following the comments made by President Obama about wanting to see another AWB.

Point is, the NRA is an ardent defender of the Second Amendment and one of the most powerful resources that we have in fighting for our Second Amendment rights. Consider that just this week the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the carry ban in the State of Illinois is unconstitutional, a Federal lawsuit mind you that was brought by residents and funded by the NRA. Your suggestion that the NRA somehow supported the 1994 AWB or that they would do nothing to oppose a new ban is utter nonsense and totally ignorant of the facts. Please do some actual research into the actual legislative action of the NRA befor you spread this kind of false information or make such baseless suggestions. It's a slap in the face to the NRA and those of us who support them to suggest what you have.

Last edited by scsov509; December 14, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Missed a word
Old December 14, 2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Metal god

I would say , after today I'd start buying any and all AR and AK parts you can . I believe this event was significant and will push the AWB foreward .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .