The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
oracleammo

Saiga conversion refinish

Morning all,

I have a 308 saga otw and I'm gonna do the conversion myself since I have the time to take my time.

Looking for opinions on the finish work. Seems like most refinish jobs I see the work was done using paint.

Any opinions on whether I should try parkerizing over paint? Looking for just a plain black dull finish that will hold up without scratching easily with use.

I can bake a finish if paint is the best option, but I was hoping parkerizing would work better. Never done either, so if parkerizing requires dipping the whole lower and that may cause a problem with later fitting let me know.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old January 3, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Silver_Bullet

Cerakote the outside if you want a baked finish. This stuff holds up the best I have ever seen. Should have no problems with 1 solid coat. You want notice anything until you get upwards of 4+ coats ( like if you where doing a camo job).