The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2007, 07:22 PM   #1
tools

Frustrating problem

I am experiencing a frustrating problem with my .223 reloads. I'm just starting reloading so this could be (probably is) some form of user error, but I can't figure out what. The issue is my fully resized cases don't chamber all the way -- they stop about 1/4 inch from fully seating in the chamber. The base of the case seems ot not be getting the resizing it needs, and is too fat.

I've tried screwing the full length resizing die way down, a couple turns more than the die instructions say to -- just to see if that has any effect. It doesn't. I can see the case holder in the press meeting the base of the die so there is no more to go.

Factory ammo chambers just fine in this rifle, so the rifle is not the problem.

What else could be the issue?
Old October 30, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2
TATER

Bullet depth, whats your COAL. You could be too far out.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Dave Haven

You may need to resize your cases with a "small base" sizing die.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:39 PM   #4
MDman

you may need to trim your cases as they have grown too long.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:57 PM   #5
bigautomatic

Are you trying it with an empty case? If so, you need to measure the case length to make sure it doesn't need trimmed. If a resized empty case fits, then it is probably OAL, try seating the bullet deeper into the case a little at a time.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Woolecox

Resizing

All of the sizing dies that I have every used should be set up to "cam-over" at the bottom of the stroke. But, set up according to instructions.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:13 PM   #7
swmike

I had the same problem with my CAR-15. I got lazy and didn't trim my cases. Last batch I trimmed and the problem is gone.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old November 17, 2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Thesenator

To start with, Inspect your brass carefuly, If your cases are buldged that much, you might think about scrapping the whole lot of them.

Secondly, go over your die settings again and be sure they are right. I cannot belive that a properly set up die (especially a small based die) wouldn't resize a case to chamber.

Thirdly, Trim your brass before you get one stuck in the chamber throat and have a case failure due to high pressure.
Old November 17, 2007, 11:44 AM   #9
castnblast

Trim your cases EVERY time. Then check your over all length. You can tell real quick if it is a COAL (case over all length) issue just by looking at your bullet. If you see rifling marks on the bullet, it's too long. If not, your case trim COL (case length w/o bullet) is too long. Get a lee case length gauge for 223 and a trimmer. It will cost you about $5.00. Stick the lock lug on a variable speed drill and go to town. Trim your cases after you resize your brass. Then make sure you chamfer the necks (deburr the brass). Shoot me a private message if you need help. We all have to start somewhere.
Old November 17, 2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Sevens

The easiest and quickest way to see if your problem is (most likely) cases that are too long to properly chamber, without ordering tools and gadgets is to take three pieces of brass and line them up.

--Take a factory new, loaded, never fired and box-fresh round.
--Place it next to a once-fired, never re-sized round, one who's last act was ejection from your chamber of question
--The third round should be one that you've recently re-sized.
Compare these three. You'll see instantly if your problem is one of case length.

YES, you do need to buy those tools and gadgets, but you can gain insight right now without any of that stuff, and just three pieces of brass.

Are you using some kind of case NECK lube, either by swabbing the case mouth or using a fine mica powder? When you extract the round from the die you can (and often do) stretch it, simply by pulling it from the sizing die. And if you cases are too long, you are pinching the bullet and pressures are raising... danger is imminent.
Old November 17, 2007, 01:24 PM   #11
jdmick

Quote:
I've tried screwing the full length resizing die way down, a couple turns more than the die instructions say to -- just to see if that has any effect.
Those instructions don't match any full length sizing dies I have. If you indeed have full length dies they should say to contact the shell holder and then turn in something like a quarter of a turn. What brand of dies do you have and what do the stampings on them say?
Old November 18, 2007, 12:14 AM   #12
odsixer

I had the same issue!

with my 30-06, almost made me pull my hair out! The case was jamming with some of my reloads at the base and getting stuck in the chamber. Required a sharp rap on the bolt handle just to get the shell back out of the gun.The bolt handle wouldn't come close to closing.
I was using rcbs dies full length re-sizing with the die 1/4 turn past touching to cam over. I tried it deeper, shallower but nothing worked.

Finally I went out and bought some different dies(Hornaday) and the problem was fixed.

I still don't know exactly what happend but I think the dies were no good, only some of the reloads did this. the resized shell was slightly bulged near the base, it wasn't a headspace problem.

This was so frustrating I almost quit reloading. Try different dies and let us know how it goes.
Old November 20, 2007, 07:25 PM   #13
tools

It was the die

I got myself a Redding die (previously was using Lee) and the problem is solved.
Old November 22, 2007, 10:37 PM   #14
sbob63

hahahahaha....yeah right...

Had the same problem...

To things going on here...Your base is to big for your chamber

You probably have a gun that says 5.56 but is really .223.
Your probably running military surplus brass having been shot out of a machine gun(loose chamber)

Save yourself the hell I went through...

Your AR is probably chambered for a tight .223, so you can probably only run factory .223 rounds through it. Possibly, after shooting those rounds, having come from your chamber can you reload those, but they might be tight.

Put in minimum powder load or you might stick cases in chamber, fun to remove.

You can try all the small base dies, I did, three makes, won't make a dif.

You should either sell your gun, or have the chamber reamed for 5.56, then it will run anything.

I sold my AR for this vary reason.
Old November 23, 2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Bboomer

Quote:
You may need to resize your cases with a "small base" sizing die.
+1

Also, a case lenght guage is a great tool to have on hand.

Or borrow another sizing die for starters.