The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2007, 02:36 PM   #1
notbubba

Adding Nu-finish

1) How often do you add Nu-finish to your tumber?

2) How often do you thow out & replace the tumbling media?
Old October 30, 2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Trapper L

Would you spray your ammo with WD-40 before shooting it? It's about the same thing. Nu-Finish is a polymer based COATING that is imparted on your brass. This finish will be very slick and bolt thrust will be much greater. Here's the FAQs about Nu-Finish and note the last FAQ.

http://www.nufinish.com/faq_polish.html#q10

There is no such thing as I'm only using a little. A little of this stuff goes much farther than you can imagine. Nu-Finish won't recommend it, I won't recommend it. There are many case cleaners out there that are safe to use on your brass. I'd suggest you pick one of those.
Old October 30, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
gwalchmai

Assuming your brass is not a press fit in your chamber (and I thing that's a fairly safe assumption), how will making it a bit slipperier hurt anything?
Old October 30, 2007, 03:37 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I add 3/4 of a cap full of Nu Finish to my walnut every other batch. Also add a used dryer sheet or paper towel cut into 2" squares to every batch and that will help keep your media clean. I have been using Nu Finish for a year and haven't had any problems.
Rusty
Old October 30, 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Alleykat

Horse damn hockey! Lots of us use NuFinish for tumbling brass and, so far, after tens of thousands of rounds of clean brass (yes, it cleans very well), no problems with the mystical "bolt thrust" silliness.

Never take advice from anybody who thinks that WD40 is the same thing as NuFinish!

BTW, Mobil doesn't recommend their Mobil 1 as a firearms lube, either, but it's probably the best lube available! Could it be that those guys giving advice at NuFinish and Mobil don't know a lot about reloading and firearms?
Old October 30, 2007, 06:20 PM   #6
mniesen89

Nu-Fininsh,been using it for roughly 3 months with no ill effects except very clean brass,yes it does slickin it up a bit but not to the point where I've had any problems on the range.....Alley,your a harsh harsh man!
Old October 30, 2007, 07:10 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Never take advice from anybody who thinks that WD40 is the same thing as NuFinish!
I actually wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. I think you need to do some research before making an accusation like that.

Just because you disagree with one's statement doesn't mean his/her's experience and credibility should be rebuked....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 30, 2007, 07:53 PM   #8
grymster2007

So what's the consensus here? I don't have any Nu-Finish, but I'm about to dump some Zymol in the tumbler. I'm using walnut and tried some aluminum oxide polishing powder, but the cases still don't have that "factory" sheen. They're not bad... certainly clean, with a matte finish luster. I was just hoping for a little better.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Shooters Plus

I add about a cap full before every cleaning. No problems here. As for changing media, I'm not sure as it last me a good while. Maybe every 6 - 8000 rds? Depending on how dirty the brass is of course.

Good luck

www.shootersplus.com
Guns for Sale! Glock, Colt, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, HK and many more! Wilson Combat 1911 parts and accessories
Old October 30, 2007, 11:50 PM   #10
mc223

Bolt thrust may actually be reduced by the increased surface contact with the chamber walls.
Such news of Nu-Finish being a problem after 10,000 +, problem free rounds is very disturbing.
I add a capfull every other tumbler load and put in a used dryer sheet to keep the Nu-Finish from spreadin bad JUJU on my brass, and to pick up dirt and other very small contaminates. Helps the media last a long time.
Old October 30, 2007, 11:57 PM   #11
TWB

I guess you'll have to count votes for a "consensus".

Nu-Finish is a gift of the Gods to the home brass tumbler. It works, it leaves no residual that causes any problems that I have been able to detect in thousands of rounds over several years, and it's comparatively cheap. What's not to like? I've used brass tumbled in the stuff repeatedly, for training courses where we fired hundreds of rounds per day, without any problem. It appears to me that this stuff is polish, and has no wax to impart, but I don't know that for sure. In any event, it doesn't matter.

I add another capful when I start having to vibrate the brass for what I consider an excessive time period. For me, this is in the more than 3 1/2 - 4 hour range. It is time to dump the old medium when the addition of a capful doesn't help. By the way, if you add too much at any given time to walnut, the walnut will turn dark and shiney, and will no longer work.

I suppose that in a world of 6.5 billion people that there will be one or two that can't make the stuff work right, but this stuff is worth a try.

twb
Old October 31, 2007, 05:43 AM   #12
CrustyFN

Quote:
Posted by Trapper L: Would you spray your ammo with WD-40 before shooting it?
Have you ever seen anybody shoot a belt fed machine gun? Spraying the ammo with WD-40 is exactly what they do.
Rusty
Old October 31, 2007, 08:57 AM   #13
kestak

Greetings,

I use one cap of nu finish every other time. I never had any problem and instead of tumbling 2 hours, I tumble 1 hour with the same result. I use corn cob and cut a scott towel in 2 inches square to keep help keep the media cleaner.

One small comment on WD40. I use it to clena my guns WITH a good spray of compressed air to remove all excedent and I never had any problem with any of my guns. In fact, the guy at the box'o truth website is doing the same thing than me.

Moreover, with the 44 mag PRVI (last time I use that ammo for my 44 mag) and my Super redhawk, I have a heavy case of sace stucks in the cylinders. So, I found out spraying the cases with WD40 and wiping them to remove the surplus make them no longer stick.

Thank you
Old October 31, 2007, 04:10 PM   #14
swmike

I tumble my finished ammo, remove live primers from cases using a de-capping die, let black cats cross my path, have spilled salt, have walked under ladders, use WD-40 on my firearms, and use Nu-Finish polish in my tumbler media. Somehow I have not seen all the problems that all of the above are supposed to cause. I've shot thousands of rounds that were cleaned and polished with this product and I like the way the brass doesn't tarnish after a month or so.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 31, 2007, 05:25 PM   #15
steve4102

I'm sorry, I read Trapper's link and I can't find anything that pertains to the evils of Nu-Finish and rifle brass. Can someone help me out and direct me towards this info?
Old October 31, 2007, 07:43 PM   #16
Alleykat

Quote:
I actually wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.
Another suggestion: Don't take advice from anybody who wholeheartedly disagrees with my previous statement! So, you think WD40 is the same as NuFinish? Do a little research and become enlightened. Hell, let me add a little something else. Never take advice from anybody who lives in a state that elects pusillanimous pansy Democrats to represent them in D.C.!!
Old November 1, 2007, 08:09 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Another suggestion: Don't take advice from anybody who wholeheartedly disagrees with my previous statement! So, you think WD40 is the same as NuFinish? Do a little research and become enlightened. Hell, let me add a little something else. Never take advice from anybody who lives in a state that elects pusillanimous pansy Democrats to represent them in D.C.!!
Well, I almost followed my own father's advice. Alas, I'm not going to bite my tongue. Let me see if one that's unreasonable can actually decipher the body of context...

1. Trapper, correct me if I'm wrong on your statement. What the meaning of WD40 and Nu-Finish being the same is that they both provide a slick surface on brass. Had nothing to do with being the same chemical make-up.

2. Of course, if you assume that I think WD40 is the same, I don't. Obviously, you didn't even know why I disagreed. So, I submit to you again. It isn't me that needs to do the research. It's you. Research the one that you accuse to never take advice in your earlier post.

3. And, lastly. I think I just wasted my time clarifying my statements thinking I would actually do any good on one that passes judgement so swiftly without engaging in intelligent, productive conversation.

Moreover, I'm done with you.

Notbubba, my sincere apologies to you for degrading your thread.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 1, 2007, 10:18 PM   #18
mc223

Tuttle8, I vote for number 3.
Old November 2, 2007, 12:07 AM   #19
TWB

Holy crap, this is a thread about making brass look pretty. This is grounds for fight picking?

twb
Old November 2, 2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Ranger325

At the risk of fanning the coals od disagreement, but since I'm a 'new'er reloader' I'll ask the question.

Is NuFinish materially different from/producing different results than the products specifically made for case tumbling. I have a bottle of the Cabelas stuff that I was given and have seen a Dillon brand and Lyman I think as well.
Should these be used??
Old November 2, 2007, 11:35 AM   #21
mc223

Please refer to the link below for a discussion of NU- Finish.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ighlight=mc223
Old November 2, 2007, 03:56 PM   #22
JoeHatley

Quote:
How often do you add Nu-finish to your tumber?
Once, when it is new.

Quote:
2) How often do you thow out & replace the tumbling media?
Often. Whenever it takes more than a couple hours to get the brass clean.

Joe
Old November 4, 2007, 10:39 AM   #23
Alleykat

I don't pass judgement (sic) quickly, unless I'm provided with enough info to make a quick judgment. You were wrong, regarding the analogy between WD40 and NuFinish, regardless of the chemical composition. (And, for those of you who'd actually like to KNOW something, the chemical composition, OF COURSE is significant to this discussion.)
Old November 4, 2007, 07:34 PM   #24
dogfood

Well, I don't want to get into the debate on whether you should use Nu-Finish (or Turtle Wax or Soft Scrub or ...) to clean brass, as I am not an expert in these areas. Hell, I don't even know what "pusillanimous" means.

However, a couple of questions have been asked that I think should be addressed. Someone asked why a slick case would increase bolt thrust. During firing, the brass case momentarily expands to grip the chamber wall. Because of this, the case carries some of the backward thrust load. If you make the case really slippery, the case doesn't grip the chamber walls and the bolt (or slide, recoil shield, etc.) takes the full load. This is theory, anyway. In practical terms, I don't know how much load the case actually carries when it sticks, so if a slippery substance is involved, it's not clear how much thrust is added to the firearm. I'm sure it varies depending on firearm design, roughness of the chamber, cartridge working pressure, straight wall vs. bottleneck, etc. So, considering all those variables (and probably more), does the slippery substance change the equation? I have no idea.

Second, someone asked about whether the commercial media additives are OK. I'm guessing the answer is "yes", because if they were not, somebody would have been sued by now. I think they are mostly water-based, light citric and very fine polishing abrasive. They probably don't have the protective coating that Nu-Finish has ... which I guess is the whole centerpiece of the argument. Again, I have no idea if whatever is in Nu-Finish is cause to be concerned.

Do I use Nu-Finish? No. Years ago, I bought the economy-size jug of stuff from Midway, and I am still going through it. It has worked well for me, so I think I'll stick with it.

dogfood
Old November 6, 2007, 11:36 AM   #25
Corbin Dallas

I just started using NuFinish and I'm loving it. I'm no chemist, but WD40 is a water displacer right? Isn't NuFinish is a wax compound? I use WD40 all the time on my truck springs (keep the squeek down) but I never thought of using NuFinish there...

No ill effects to my brass yet.