The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2002, 04:29 PM   #1
Jack Carson

Re: Earlier Dillon question

First, thanks to Steve Smith, UltimaSE, Swifter, rick_reno, Johnny Guest, Blackhorse and Gewehr98 for all your input. You guys really helped me out and I appreciate it.

After I finally got the picture it was a no-brainer for a guy on a budget...upgrade the 450 to a 550! For a little more than $200 I can turn the old loader into a more efficient 550 and send the rest to OSU for kid #1's education

What really sweetens the pot is that I found that the range that hosts our OKC IDPA matches is a Dillon dealer and will order the upgrade kit and help me get it all set up for the same $$ as if I ordered directly from Dillon. Sweet!!

Thanks again!
Jack
Old September 6, 2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Steve Smith

DUDE, YOU'RE GETTIN' A 550!!!

Couldn't resist.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 6, 2002, 11:25 PM   #3
Jack Carson

Just wishin'

I looked that young.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:28 AM   #4
UltimaSE

I've read here on tfl that if you send the press to dillon they will repair any damage or any rust that was on the press when it gets there. Might be worth the few bucks shipping, this is if the shop hasn't ordered anything as of yet. I'm waiting for dillon to send back the 450 so I can mention if they did take some of the rust damage off the press.

But either way, you're building on an already good press to an even better press.

Shipping wasn't bad either, I just took off the 450 primer system and put it into a box. What's weird is when I called dillon they told me that I shouldn't ship fedex because it gets expensive really quick, and that the return shipping would be in the neighborhood of $12 for ups ground. But then I took it to fedex it cost me $5 to send it fedex ground. So I'm confused yet again.

UltimaSE
Old September 7, 2002, 08:01 AM   #5
stellarpod

I'm betting the range you're talking about is Howard's.

Bob is one heck of a good guy. I've purchased more $$$-worth of Dillon stuff from him than I care to mention. But, he's always quick to lend a helping hand and even throws in a freebie here and there.

PLUS, he's a CAS hombre!

Old September 7, 2002, 08:08 AM   #6
Jack Carson

I can't see any rust damage to take off. It's had a pretty pampered life.

Anyway, I talked to the "Head Man In Charge" of the IDPA club yesterday after I had ordered the upgrade parts from the gunshop/indoor range. It seems the owner may feel he's not been supported as much as he should by the shooters. Maybe this will help to some small degree.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Jack
Old September 13, 2002, 01:01 AM   #7
UltimaSE

Got back my press today. I am impressed.

They changed the frame out to another frame, I initially didn't even notice this until I tried to remount the press on my bench only to find that it didn't line up. I'm not sure if they changed anything else out, but I get the feeling if the frame waranteed a change there's other stuff that I have not seen that is changed as well. There was some rust developing at some places and it seems as though they've taken care of that too.

The automatic powder drop and the primer system is up and running. It seems as though they threw in a the auto eject feature for me. They charged me for the powder drop, the primer feed, and an indexing sprocket. What they didn't charge me for was a new plateform with provisions for the auto eject, and one of their bins along with the piece of metal that redirects the finished cartriage down into the bin.

I'm going to give them a call to make sure they didn't send someone else's press to me on accident.

On a side note I was going to consider buying their strong mount to raise the press a little so I wouldn't be stooping down to reload. I was intending to do this, but the press came back before I had a chance. So I made a few trips down to home depot and was able to find some two blocks of wood that I ended up using to make my own version of the strong mount. Everything seems to be working out, but I haven't had a chance to turn out some rounds just yet.

UltimaSE
Old September 14, 2002, 07:14 AM   #8
Jack Carson

COOL!

My stuff hasn't arrived yet. Sounds like they really set you up great. Let me know how it goes.
Jack