The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2016, 08:58 AM   #26
98 220 swift

Fastest I have gotten was 4700 fps with a 36gr varmint grenade in a 220 swift with a 26" barrel 1-16" twist. Accuracy was not that great. It likes 40gr vmax at 4500fps. The 4700 fps load had a fairly stout bolt lift. I only shot a few.

Old January 12, 2016, 09:03 AM   #27
jmorris

When I built my 50 BMG Maddi Griffin had .30 cal sabot load data over 5000 fps.
Old January 12, 2016, 03:09 PM   #28
Clark

When the book, Elements of Ordinance, says to calculate the center of mass of the gas escaping at 4700 fps for calculating recoil, it is hard to imagine efficient loads getting the bullet to move faster than that.

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Of-Or.../dp/1432518119
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 12, 2016, 04:00 PM   #29
aarondhgraham

The .17 Remington came close,,,

The .17 Remington came close,,,

Factory ammo gives an average of 4,145 FPS.

Way before I knew what I was doing with rifles,,,
I won one of these rifles w/scope in a poker game.

I was stationed TDY at the USAF Seismic Research Station,,,
Located in Pinedale Wyoming.

The detachment was way out in the middle of nowhere,,,
The detachment Rod & Gun club had a very nice range set up.

Shooting that rifle was like using a laser beam,,,
It literally vaporized prairie dogs at 300 yards distance.

Old hat to you dedicated reloaders and varminters,,,
But to a young man with only experience was old milsurps and .22's,,,
That shooter was the single most amazing rifle I had ever had the pleasure to fire.

Could this be pushed to that 5,280 FPS?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 12, 2016, 04:05 PM   #30
Jim Watson

The fastest private effort I know was a light bullet in a .30-.378 that reached or closely approached a mile per second.
Old January 12, 2016, 05:18 PM   #31
Jimro

The gasses produced by burning gun powder, nitrocellulose, are generally right at the 5,200 fps velocity so that is considered the "theoretical maximum" for velocity when approaching 100% efficiency of velocity transfer to the projectile.

Sabots have been used to create a low for caliber mass low friction projectile to get there.

One other way around this is to use the property of fluid dynamics which states that for an equal volume to travel through a smaller vessel the velocity must increase to move the same amount of fluid in the same time. This is why the "squeeze bore" barrels were used. I've read accounts of 50 to 30 caliber squeeze bore M2HB variants being used in Vietnam with decent success, and the Germans used a squeeze bore anti tank rifle system in WWII.

Jimro
Old January 12, 2016, 07:05 PM   #32
Jim243

Quote:
The pull of gravity has nothing to do with the velocity of a bullet fired level on earth.
Really, Sir Isaac Newton might take exception to that comment, as well as the Army Corp of Engineering. I've never met someone from the "Flat Earth Society" until now, where is this piece of level ground you are talking about? And what was the gravity neutralizing properties it was made of. I was unaware of any bullet make of anti-gravity materials, UFO's might have that abilities, but i am unaware or Hornady or Speer developing any.

Stay safe and grounded to earth. Well, I guess you do not get an option on that. Since everything on earth is traveling at 1,000 miles an hour and you haven't flown off into space yet.. You need to be traveling at over 17,000 miles and hour to neutralize the effect of gravity on earth.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; January 12, 2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old January 12, 2016, 07:33 PM   #33
Road_Clam

I deep throated the chamber in my Red Ryder to accept a 50 BMG case necked down to .177 . Bad sun angle so my Alpha Chrony wasn't working, but i'm guessing about 8000 fps judging the vapor trail. I'm running titanium nitride coated fmj round ball. Rifle kicks butt at 50ft, only issue is after 1 shot the barrel is burnt out.
Old January 12, 2016, 11:15 PM   #34
Kosh75287

Indeed. For a projectile to do 5280 f/s on average, over a time of 1.0 seconds would likely require an initial velocity in excess of 8000 f/s. That's a little shy of 5500 mph. It makes me envision a usable barrel life of 20 rounds.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!