The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 11, 2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

how rare are the H&R Folding shotguns...

... & anyone out there that can date one ???

I have a 12 ga I've done quite a bit of custom work to... 1st off I added a premium recoil pad, then bought a used Poly Choke, & cut the barrel, so that with the Poly Choke, it's the same length as the stock when folded ( still easily legal length ), then added a fiber optic front bead, & it's currently getting dura-coated for corrosion protection... my goal is to make this my version of Ronco's "pocket hunter" it folds into the most efficient package, of any of the folders I've ever seen

I bought a pool cue case that doesn't scream gun, & has pockets I'm setting up to hold an assortment of shot shells, & it'll go behind the seat in my truck, as a truck gun...

I'm now looking for another, preferably in 20 ga or .410 for MRS truck... I'm sure the numbers are much lower on those, over the 12 ga... I'm not sure if they ever made a Poly Choke in .410, so I'd prefer the 20 ga

any other suggestions for brands, other than the H&R??? I've seen several others, but it seems like making them into a folder was an after thought, as most don't fold flat, & would require cutting a trigger guard slot, or shortening the fore arm, to get them to fold into a practical package
Old December 11, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Several Italian manufacture's made folding shotguns, generally in 20 gauge.
They considered poachers guns at one time. The reason is poachers could hide the gun under a "great coat".
To the land owners all the game belong to them and poaching was stealing from them. And every year the land owner had a harvest or hunt to take the birds and deer, which would be sold at market.