The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 18, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Crotalus

New Browning BBR

Recently luck was on my side and I found a BRAND NEW still in box, 1979 Browning BBR 30-06. Never used, never fired. Came out of someones collection and I got it for a price I could not refuse. It is a very nice rifle.

I bought this rifle and really don't have a practical use for it, however I could not pass it up.

I can't decide whether its smarter to keep it in the box and let it be a collectable, or mount a scope on it and have fun with it. I'd love to shoot it and maybe take it on a gentle hunt now and again, but part of me feels like that would be ruining a special thing.

What do you guys think? What would you do?
Old February 19, 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Scorch

I am not aware that BBRs were going to become collectible, but who knows? The BBR was the first out-of-the-chute attempt to replace the FN Mauser 98-based Browning Safari and Browning High Power rifle series. Browning long arms production was moved to Japan due to lower manufacturing costs and the recent "salt wood" debacle nearly bankrupting Browning. The BBR was not a bad rifle, but was sneered at by Browning purists who felt that the Japanese could not match the quality of the FN-made long arms. This was before Japan kicked our collective behinds in the 1980s technology boom, and Japanese products were still considered to be inferior. Anyway, nice rifle, hope you got into it right. Parts are scarce, and BBRs were never really known as tack drivers.
Old February 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Can't answer your Browning question... but I have a couple Stainless Stalkers, & they are very nice shooting rifles...

I also have one of the Remington 700 - 100th aniversary of the 30-06 cartridge limited editions... my Remington is also unfired, & is a really nice looking limited edition, I bought mine very right ( less than a new BDL in 30-06 )... ( I'll probably mount up a scope & shoot it on nice days... but have yet to do so )

if the Browning is just a standard edition, I guess I'd probably shoot it on nice days... if it were some sort of special edition, I might think twice... but personally feel these things were made to shoot... so nice rifles get special "sunny day" treatment, but most everything I have gets shot at least once...

I even took an unfired special edition early Rossi engraved & special wood lever gun, that I got for a great deal, & made a cowboy action gun out of it
Old February 19, 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
AllenJ

Not being a "collector" my answer might be a little one sided: Scope that puppy up and see what it can do
Old February 19, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Crotalus

I don't think the BBR is a collectors treasure or anything. However there is something neat about have a 34yr old rifle that has never been mucked with. Still as beautiful as the day it was first sold.

Knowing me though I will shoot it. For what purposes...... I'm not yet sure. I don't expect a target rifle and for hunting I have workhorse Tikkas to fill that role.

I am really curious to know how well it shoots though. From what I have read, other BBR owners say they shoot great.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Barber2678

Don't shoot it. It is hard to find guns of that age that are NIB and at a reasonable price unless they are some piece of crap. It may not have huge collector value but it's value will be more stable that others. I would love to add another BBR to my collection. Especially one that is NIB.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Crotalus

Yea, I bought it for $650. I figure I can't even buy a new low model Rem 700 at that price. This rifle, I feel is of much greater value than what I paid. I think a new rifle of this quality, made today would cost at least $1200.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Dearhunter61

If I were you I would never shoot it. And it is a tack driver! I own two and both are the best most accurate rifles I've ever owned except my custom 6.5 Creedmoor. I love mine!