The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1
gunslinger555

Turning an 870 into tacticool

Well to make a long story short my father and I ended up moving to Mansfield, ohio We realy didnt know that much about the crime in Mansfield. So my father baught a remington 870 with 18 inch barrel and two shot extention just in case. Now that we have lived hire for a few months we have realized that thair is rarely any crime in our area, exept the few prainksters every once in a while. My dad also owns a couple handguns so with that my father gave me the shotgun and said I can do with it as I like so I want to turn it into a tacticool shotgun but im not sure what to put on it. Any suggestions?

Last edited by gunslinger555; August 1, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old August 1, 2006, 03:48 PM   #2
sawyerrog

ramline

i put a ramline law enforcement stock and foreend on my 870 they have different colors i went with black of course. i really like it too price wasnt to bad either
Old August 1, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3
gunslinger555

omg check this out watch the vidios http://www.knoxx.com/index.html I just dont know witch one to buy.
Old August 1, 2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Savage10FP308

The first thing I would put on your tacticool shotgun...

would have to be a spell check. After that I would suggest that you dont put just a pistol grip stock on the gun. If you go for a pistol grip then at least leave the buttstock. You wont want to shoot just a pistol grip after you've tried it once. It isn't very pleasant.
Old August 1, 2006, 05:56 PM   #5
gunslinger555

I spelled it tacticool because tactical guns are cool hence tacticool and also I definitely want a stock.
Old August 1, 2006, 06:01 PM   #6
'75Scout

gunslinger I have created a pretty good self defense 870. I bought a 1956 Wingmaster with an 18.5" barrel with rifle sights and an extended mag. I then had it coated OD green and added a two more things.

These are a Mesa Tactical side saddel. These are made of aircraft aluminum and are much better quality than the plastic tacstar ones and only slightly more expensive. Their website is www.mesatactical.com

The other was a Knoxx Compstock. I see you have already visited their website. The Compstock is a standard style stock and really reduces the recoil. Therefore my followup shots are much faster and I can shoot all day without bruising.

The only thing I plan to add is a Surefire forend. This way I'll have a good light on my hd shottie.
Old August 1, 2006, 06:10 PM   #7
gunslinger555

Wow im going to have to get one of thair shell holders and a Picatinny Rail from them, thanx.
Old August 1, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Eightball

If it is an 870 Express, you'll have to buy a new magspring and endcap, and dremel-tool out those little dimples on the end of the mag tube in order to do so. Other than that, the 870s with the collapsable stock seem spiffy--and not for the "tacticoolness", I just think that folding it for storage helps in my gun cases (no safe, yet ). If you have a VR Bbl, you can't mount a heat shield, but all the other 870 mods will work. If you have an 870 police--heat shield'll fit, no dremel needed IIRC. If you have a Wingmaster and are "tacticool"ing it--please, send it to me, I"ll buy you a new Express to tool with instead. Then both of us will be happy . And oh yeah--you gotta get a tactical light and aiming lazer as bright as the sun .

If you like a pistol grip but want a stock---maybe a speedfeed stock would work for you? Extra shells and all, w/o exterior mods or stuff hanging off of it.

Edit--didn't see you already had the short barrel. Go nuts.
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old August 2, 2006, 01:05 AM   #9
HK_P7

Knoxx makes some quality products. I recently picked one up for my 870 and I am very happy with it. I also have the a Speedfeed Stock (came with the shotgun), and that also works well.

Speedfeed Stock:

Knoxx Spec Ops Stock:

Old August 2, 2006, 01:25 AM   #10
gunslinger555

^ Hey I think that is what im going to do to it, with the flash light fore end and knox rear. It already holds seven rounds but i want it to hold ten, thair is a ten round tube mag. for it how long does the barrel have to be for it? I have a 26 in. on my 870 ex. combo.
Old August 4, 2006, 04:38 PM   #11
KC dude

I strongly recomend getting a Knoxx Specops stock. Not just for the tacticoolness, but for the recoil reducing feature & the adjustable length stock. The shell holder on mine is the Knoxx Power Pack that you buy seperately from the Specops.

Stay away from a pistol grip only shotgun. Too hard to hit anything with if you don't have much experience with it. Heat sheilds are also not important, don't waste your money on it. Get a 2 - 3 shot mag extention. I got mine from the local gun shop, only $15. May not look as fancy as some others out there, but I don't think criminals care about what your gun looks like! If you get a long mag ext., make sure you buy a mag clamp. I think ATI sells them for $8 or something.

Ghost ring sights can get expensive & usually require a gunsmith to install them. Either stick with a bead sight or buy some tru-glo sights. I bought some that fit on the rib-vent (not on this one, my other 870). Of course, I don't know if you have a rib vent or not.

Anyway, once you start to add cool stuff on, you'll never want to stop. Tactical shotguns can be expensive! Good luck sir!
Old August 5, 2006, 08:13 PM   #12
webbee

The Knoxx Copstock, which is a pistol grip folder, is very practical for home defence. I have shot slugs...one handed...NO PROBLEM. I did get a wire imprint bruise from the slugs on the shoulder. It was gone in 3 days so it was a light one. The SpecOps reduces the recoil more than the Copstock. Which would I choose? I think for home defence with a woman or child expected to use the weapon, it would be the SpecOps. If it were just me, then the Copstock would be my choice. With the wire folded it makes moving around the house easier, especially if you have the 18.5" barrel.

If you get the Power Pack for the SpecOps then you don't need the side saddle on the receiver. The extra shells are on the outside for a righty shooter. I find that there is a bit of unbalancing from receiver mounted ammo.
Side saddles won't work with the Copstock because of the wire interference when folded.

Another nice option is a night sight bead with the tritium vial. You always know where the barrel end/aim-point is.
Old August 8, 2006, 08:44 AM   #13
flashman70

Don't forget the Surefire forend.

Old August 8, 2006, 09:47 AM   #14
Jeepmark2005

Noticing a trend here? Get a knoxx stock. But more important than all the gadgets is training. Go shoot and then shoot some more then after that..... All the neat stuff will not make you a better shot. You need to be familure with your weapon. That said the Knoxx stock is great. Ghost ring sights make a big difference and a forearm light comes in handy. A side saddle is a good place for some slugs and Knoxx stock has that too. A 7-8 shot magazine is plenty. More than that and you affect your swing weight and the shotgun becomes too long to manuver in tight quarters. Did I mention you need to go shoot some?
Old August 8, 2006, 04:52 PM   #15
Savage10FP308

gunslinger555...

when I said spelling I wasn't talking about "tacticool". I was talking about baught, realy, hire, thair, and exept. Anyways, back on topic. You are getting good advice. Once again, a lot of "tacticool" shotgunners want to have a pistol grip without any form of a butt stock on their gun because they have seen the terminator shoot one or something along those lines. It is unpleasant to shoot and serves no useful purpose. I have a completely stock 870 Express 3 in Magnum with an 18 in barrel and a 7 shot magazine. I happen to think it looks fine the way it is. It serves it's purpose, it's easy to handle, and it patterns well. What more can you ask of your gun?
Old August 8, 2006, 08:20 PM   #16
gunslinger555

Oh I'm sorry, I would change it but the edit button isn't coming up.
Old August 8, 2006, 08:32 PM   #17
joab

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, I would change it but the edit button isn't coming up
Don't worry about it. Notice how nobody else is commenting on it?

Definitely get the full stock with the pistol grip of some sort it really reduces recoil.

A Tac_light is good also, I mounted mine to the magazine with a $30 AimShot mount.

Don't have a side saddle but I do have the extended mag, for HD I don't think I would need more.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:03 PM   #18
hpg

I'm a little more frugle with my money try these sites. hpg

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/products.html
Tactical III or IV

http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

side saddle
Old August 8, 2006, 10:04 PM   #19
kozak6

Put a drum on it .

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/P...SideWinder.htm
Old August 8, 2006, 10:28 PM   #20
gunslinger555

I'm not convertible with sending any of my guns to kali. And its permanent on the 870. I guess ill have to find a used mossy and put that on it.
Old August 11, 2006, 03:46 PM   #21
glock21pwr

hey joab. you should get a side saddle. its much better to have too much ammo than not enough. you never know what could happen .....