The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

new wildcat... thinking of names...

my retired builder buddy just finished my .416 Rigby ( shot it the 1st time yesterday )

so on to my next project... we are looking at swaging 5.7 X 28 cases down to the rough equivelent of the 5.7 Velo-dog case... my buddy has come up with a 4 or 5 die process, after the 5.7 X 28 cases are fully annealed... because I'm converting a 22 Mag revolver to centerfire, I can load these to higher pressures than the Velo-dog, so we are making the diameter of the case a couple .001's thicker, to keep the new case from slipping into my antique Velo-dog revolver...

so... what I'll end up with, is a reloadable 22 mag, in which I can select which bullets the cartridge is loaded with... thinking cast 22 bullets & Trailboss for low end, & Hornet bullets or light .224 rifle bullets for high end...

anyone done anything similar ???

got any suggestions for the Wildcat name ???
Old February 13, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Jim243

Quote:
anyone done anything similar ???
No, but it is an interesting idea. I know Five-seven handguns are expensive, but wouldn't your performance be better just using 5.7x28 and adjusting your 22mag revolver to that cartrage? How are you overcoming the fact that the 5.7 is a rimless cartrage and the revolver takes rimmed 22 mag rounds??

Jim
Old February 13, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
old roper

I read this while back.

9mm 115gr 1250fps 399 ft lbs
5.7mm 31gr 2346fps 379 ft lbs
.22 mag 33gr 2000fps 293 ft lbs

Our recent tests also show that mass is more important than energy calculated in this manner. Considering this, a 31gr projectile is an abysmal performer. Tests show it does no better than the slightly slower .22 mag in killing even small game.

and this

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...m-vs-5-7x28mm/
NRA Life Member
Old February 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
but wouldn't your performance be better just using 5.7x28 and adjusting your 22mag revolver to that cartrage?
that would be nice, but the bottle necked cartridge would set back & lock up the cylinder...

Quote:
How are you overcoming the fact that the 5.7 is a rimless cartrage and the revolver takes rimmed 22 mag rounds??
The case body & case head will be swaged down to roughly 22 mag diameter, this will result in the original case head becoming a rim...

OLD ROPER... I like heavier bullets myself ( I've done some work with fast twist 22 Hornet, in both a revolver, & in a converted Ruger bolt action... my fast twist hornets allow the use of up to 68 grain bullets with good stabilization... I have thought of lining the barrel with something faster, allowing the use of 223 bullets, but since this is just a fun gun, I'll probably start with the 22 mag barrel at 1 in 16" twist & see what bullets will stabilize 1st... BTW... I have a 5-seven pistol, & a Contender barrel for that cartridge as well wasn't trying to imply they were anywhere close to the same in performance... been looking at lowest power reloadable cartridges for a while now

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Hammerhead

How about the 'FN dog' as in 'that effin dog!'.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I like that ^^^
Old February 13, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

not as easy as we had hoped

we were hoping I'd get enough heat from a kitchen oven ( for future forming ) but the cases did not anneal enough using my machinist's tempering oven at 500 degrees... so the household kitchen oven is out...

also the laquer coating on the 5.7 X 28 cases did not burn off at 500 degrees... my buddy is going to try 900 degrees this afternoon & see if they'll get soft enough...

... also there is too much material at the case head, so it looks like at the least, the cases will need some turning in a lathe at the case head/ web area... my buddy did run a couple through a 22 Hornet die just to see how things would go, before making the 1st of the form dies... the pin used to maintain the primer pocket was sized the same as a primer, & it looks like it stretched / snapped tighter after removed from the die, enough so, that a primer would not seat in the primer pocket... so the pin will have to be a couple .001's bigger to get primer pocket of normal size...

the laquer coating looks to be highly solvent resistant... anyone that's played with the 5.7 X 28 cases come up with a chemical remover for the laquer ??? of coarse, maybe it'll burn off at 900 degrees ???
Old February 13, 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
griz

22 CCM
Old February 13, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Sevens

You definitely need to name this the .22 Rube Goldberg.
Old February 13, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

GRIZ... thanks for the link... I'm a member there as well, & am familiar with the CCM ( day late & a $ short ) on getting any brass or load equipment for the CCM though
Old February 13, 2012, 05:55 PM   #11
thedaddycat

I just read an article on annealing, it says you should not fully anneal the case, especially the case head. Now I'm sure you and your friend have a lot of experience since you're wildcatting a new chambering, but please consider the safety aspect of a fully annealed case when you are making your brass.

Here's the article:

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
Old February 14, 2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Tex S

The super select .22 whizbangpoodleshooter
Old February 14, 2012, 04:30 PM   #13
dunerjeff

How about just .22Super or .22Mag Super.
Old February 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #14
thump_rrr

As already mentioned by thedaddycat.
Can anyone say case head separation?
Old February 15, 2012, 10:28 AM   #15
jaguarxk120

Take a look in P.O. Ackleys loading book there were several small 22 wildcats based off of the Hornet case.
Old February 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #16
griz

Sorry, I didn't realize that the CCM was unobtainable. Am i reading it correctly that you have already formed cases? A photo would be interesting. Have you considered starting with the hornet case? It already has a rim and I think the base of it is a not as stout, making forming easier.

Either way, good luck. I like the idea of a "reloadable 22".
Old February 15, 2012, 10:47 AM   #17
griz

My timing leaves a lot to be desired
Old February 15, 2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Inspector3711

The .22 HotDawg Or .22 Doggystyle
Old February 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
CowTowner

How about calling it what you said it is:
"22 Relo" or a "Mag Relo"
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 15, 2012, 04:04 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
also the laquer coating on the 5.7 X 28 cases did not burn off at 500 degrees... my buddy is going to try 900 degrees this afternoon & see if they'll get soft enough...
I don't have much experience in metallurgy, but it is my understanding that exceeding 800 degrees F for more than about 30 seconds is going to cause irreparable damage to the brass. (Causes the zinc or copper to oxidize - can't remember which.)

On a separate note...
I have been a fan of the centerfire .22 Mag concept for a long time. For a while there, I was even trying to get my hands on some .22 CCM cases. As you probably know, that is incredibly difficult.
Which makes me wonder: Why do you want to use 5.7x28mm cases, and not .22 Hornet?

The only advantage I can think of, is that you won't have to ream the case necks as much, since the cases don't have to be trimmed as far (if at all). But... the 5.7 case doesn't save you any time during the important forming steps (swaging and lathe-turning).

Am I overlooking something, or is simply it a matter of convenience? (Such as having several hundred pieces of 5.7x28mm brass.)

I like "FN Dog".
Old February 15, 2012, 04:39 PM   #21
hornetguy

Quote:
I just read an article on annealing, it says you should not fully anneal the case, especially the case head. Now I'm sure you and your friend have a lot of experience since you're wildcatting a new chambering, but please consider the safety aspect of a fully annealed case when you are making your brass.
What he said... X10
Old February 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #22
jaguarxk120

I have some of those case's, as I recall putting them in a slow cooker for a long time, will loosen the poymer coating. It is put on the case's to aid in extraction in the automatic arms for that caliber. The stuff really wants to stick to the brass, but long soaking helps to take it off.