The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2020, 08:49 AM   #1
USNRet93

Dry firing Ruger Wrangler

Just bought one and when wandering around the interweb found the below..WITH Ruger note in owners manual,
Quote:
The WRANGLER® revolver can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin or other components.
BUT..just for info...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl0lf0RPAPs

GREAT fun tho..went shooting with it and my Beretta BirdsHead 38spec..great fun!!

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 11, 2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Yep - a guy who doesn't know the difference between a cylinder and a chamber certainly knows more than the people who make the firearm.
Jeepaholic
Old February 11, 2020, 11:11 AM   #3
pete2

The damage was caused by dry firing, no doubt. I would have sent it back to Ruger. Min/max tolerances met at the wrong point on his revolver.
On another point, my Wrangler firing pin has a blunt point on it, it has fired every time but it doesn't put much of a dent in the rim. Nothing like the pin in my Single Six. I don't dry fire the Wrangler. Dry firing hasn't hurt my other Rugers, MKII, 10/22s and the Single Six.
The people who made his firearm certainly screwed up on his Wrangler.
Old February 11, 2020, 11:51 AM   #4
Pahoo

Good heads-up !!!!

Good heads-up and Ruger certianly, will take note to rectify !!

My primary take-away on this is to be selective on what and how you dry-fire. Regardless of what "the" manual says, I take steps not to dry fire and do not let others, dry-fire my "stuff". I routinely use my thumb, dummy or spent rounds as well as snap caps. When handling other folk's firearms, I make it a point to assure them that I will not fry fire their 'stuff". …….

I fully understand that there are competition shooters that "need" to dry-fire a firearm and that's their call. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old February 11, 2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Yep - a guy who doesn't know the difference between a cylinder and a chamber certainly knows more than the people who make the firearm.
It was obvious he knew the difference. I do not see any need for a comment like that. I can see how it would be useful info for some folks, especially new shooters or younger shooters. Give the guy credit for taking the time to point this info out.
Still, he should not have fired without snap caps. I use dry wall anchors. Ruger should not have put that misinformation in the manual.
Old February 12, 2020, 01:23 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

"Cylinder" instead of chamber, "bore" or "cylinder bore" instead of chamber aside his credibility of knowing what he's talking about flew out the window before that. "Most of my handguns are striker fired and "specifically" you aren't supposed to dry fire them"
Dude, ever hear of Glock?
Rather than a video of his "expertise", contacting Ruger would have been a better plan for everybody concerned .
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 12, 2020, 02:39 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I would have sent it back to Ruger.
Yup, a rimfire that's supposed to be safe to dryfire should not peen the chamber. Probably a missing or out-of-spec part. Ruger should fix it.
Old February 12, 2020, 09:35 AM   #8
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Did you see the part where he showed the indentations on the cylinder walls?
FROM the firing pin? That prevented the rounds from going into the cylinder? Guess that's 'fake news' since he
"doesn't know the difference between a cylinder and a chamber certainly knows more than the people who make the firearm"..yeegads.
Quote:
The damage was caused by dry firing, no doubt. I would have sent it back to Ruger. Min/max tolerances met at the wrong point on his revolver.
He made that point also..even if he make the YUGE cardinal error of calling a 'cylinder' a 'chamber' or whatever something...
Quote:
It was obvious he knew the difference. I do not see any need for a comment like that. I can see how it would be useful info for some folks, especially new shooters or younger shooters. Give the guy credit for taking the time to point this info out.
Agree..and it caused me to look at my new Ruger..(I don't dry fire it at all)..

I guess he could have kept all this to himself, then let 'some' bad mouth Ruger...AND him...
Quote:
Rather than a video of his "expertise", contacting Ruger would have been a better plan for everybody concerned
See above, he implied it was a QC issue and anybody seeing this SHOULD contact Ruger.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 12, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 12, 2020, 11:05 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Sample size of ONE.
Old February 12, 2020, 12:32 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

If the manufacturer says "mechanism will not be damaged by doing X" an it is damaged by doing X then it is defective. Simple. One individual gun is defective. Call Ruger, they WILL fix it.

Now, if you've got 3 or 3 dozen of that specific model and ALL of them do it, THEN you have a case for saying the factory is having problems.
Old February 12, 2020, 01:36 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

If the firing pin is striking the cylinder with enough force to peen it there is probably a bigger, even potentially dangerous problem than not being able to dry fire it. Is the firing pin length out of spec enough for it to negate the need for the transfer bar to make contact with the rim. Making the transfer bar safety useless.
Instead of taking a file to the chambers, contacting Ruger is definitely in order.
As a side note, nothing but this one video comes up when searching dry fire problems with Ruger Wrangler.
A one off incident, or at least not an epidemic of QC problems, or design flaw.
Old February 13, 2020, 09:28 AM   #12
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Sample size of ONE.
Perhaps but without this video I would have read the owners manual and 'maybe' dry fired the thing..and create a scenario where I gotta contact Ruger, plus all the rig-a-ma-roll...

blah, blah..It's just a PSA..you can bad mouth it if you want or ignore it or dry fire your Wrangler..don matter to me.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 13, 2020, 10:08 AM   #13
bamaranger

interesting

All very interesting.....I have not viewed the video yet.

I was taught as a lad NOT to dry fire any rimfire, and have abided by that instruction pretty much since.
Old February 13, 2020, 01:24 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

I dry-fire mine occasionally - usually while it is traveling between a case and the safe.
I never read the manual and don't really care what it says.

I am not the average fecal floater in the punch bowl, though. Before even firing mine, I checked firing pin protrusion during the nearly complete detail strip that I did to see how it compared to other Ruger SA revolvers. Plenty good enough to crunch the rim of a cartridge, but incapable of touching the cylinder unless something breaks.

Sample size +1.
Old February 13, 2020, 02:59 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Before even firing mine, I checked firing pin protrusion during the nearly complete detail strip that I did to see how it compared to other Ruger SA revolvers. Plenty good enough to crunch the rim of a cartridge, but incapable of touching the cylinder unless something breaks.
What would be your hypothesis on the gun in the video? Out of spec firing pin? Or broaken/missing part. Isn't there some sort of pin in the frame to limit the firing pin travel on Ruger revolvers?
Possible reason that the firing pin peened the cylinder, and potentially dangerous problem that the owner in the video should be taking to Ruger rather than taking a file to his gun!
Old February 13, 2020, 06:48 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

My guess(es) would be:
Long firing pin, and/or missing, broken, or damaged rebound spring.

The Wrangler has a rebounding firing pin. I don't recall the exact parts arrangement for the firing pin, but I seem to remember thinking that a missing spring could be trouble.
Old February 13, 2020, 06:55 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Having taken another look at my Wrangler and photographs, as well as photos on the internet, and called another Wrangler owner to ask about that one... I'm beginning to doubt the legitimacy of the YouTube video.
Wranglers have flat firing pins. In the video, the dimples appear to be concave.

1+1=3? ...And more clicks/views.
Old February 13, 2020, 07:46 PM   #18
Pahoo

Dry-Fire at your own risk !!!

Quote:
I'm beginning to doubt the legitimacy of the YouTube video.
Then I would add; Dry-Fire at your own risk !!!

No problem here as I do not own one and if I did, would not dry-fire, just to prove "something". ….

Be Safe !!!
Old February 14, 2020, 12:08 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

With a couple BPS gift cards from Christmas, a few bucks in Club points, and some "mad money" stached, I might have to just buy a Wrangler to find out!
Old February 14, 2020, 06:30 PM   #20
Carmady

At the 5:00 mark he's showing the back of the cylinder.

What are the marks at 9 o'clock at the outside edge of the rim on every charge hole (when the holes are at 12 o'clock)?