The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2020, 07:43 AM   #26
amd6547

“ Quote:
reduced recoil rounds in 00 buck means no hard kick even in light weight guns.
Do remember "there's no free lunch".

You gat a lot less recoil with a .410. too. Are you recommending one of those?”

A rather troll-ish response. Are you claiming the low recoil Federal #1 buck flitecontrol load in my Mossberg right now is equivalent to a .410 load?
Old February 27, 2020, 03:30 PM   #27
MarkCO

Quote:
MarkCO: Thank you for that very clear response. I shall have to rethink my ideas about .410s and HD.
You are most welcome. I like to tell folks that the faster and more accurate you are, the less (rounds and power) you can get away with...in most cases.

I change what I have (in public) based on the roles I am filling and or the conditions I plan to be in. But it is the unplanned 5% (pure speculation on the actual percentage) that might be the difference. I keep pistols, 9mm PCCs, a suppressed .223 and shotguns with slugs at home. No reason not to. But when I go out, there is most often a backup and in some cases 2 backups...and Med Kits in all vehicles and one next to the front door. All stuff I pray I have enough training for and never need.

Before my wife was firearms trained, we kept Pepper Spray and a light on her nightstand and in the central room of the house. We have since dispatched the pepper spray at the house, but when I am working security, I will often add that to my on body carry items.

So things change, environments change. Better a gun than a knife is always my final answer after "get more training."

Tags
home defense , tactical shotgun