The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
bushmaster65

Cimarron firearms

I found out through some old posts that Cimerron arms are really Uberti"s that supposedly are ordered to a higher manufacturing quality than others and are inspected by there own QC gunsmith before they allow them to ship.
Q-is this true?
Q-Anybody out there have any cimerrons?

I noticed that they stamp a similar "address to..." stamp on the top of the barrels, like the old colts.
Q- is this the only "defacing" thats done?

They are based in Fredericksburg Texas which is also home to the newly expanded "Museum of the pacific war". That's a darn good reason to drive 1 1/2 hrs to get there.

So lets here it, anybody care to weigh in on this brand name? I e-mailed them at "Texas Jack's" to ask if there in store price is lower than the internet price but haven't heard back.
-bush-
Old October 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
TomADC

I just picked up a Cimarron 1860 Colt the only marking on the barrel is a proof mark, until you look under the loading lever, there it's marked as a Uberti.
Fit and finish is above parr but then so is my 1860 Uberti 1860 Colt.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
spitpatch

I have a hi-wall in 45-70. Had it for years. Great rifle.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4
gus3836

I have the New Thunderer in 45 Colt great pistol. Had a little action work done and changed the screws to the hardened ones. Also have 2 61 Navies and those are decent but do not hold a candle to my Colt Signature Series pistols. Deeper bluing and the case coloring is better also. Had a timing issue with one the Navies with fluted cylinder changed to engraved cylinder no more timing issue. They all shoot to POA and no real issues.

Last edited by gus3836; October 18, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: grammer
Old October 18, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

No difference between the quality of Uberti's imported by Taylors, Stoeger, or Cimmaron. I have had them all. In fact... due to the markings (see below)... I rate the Cimmaron ones at the bottom of the pack.

My Cimmaron's (2) came with childishly deliberately mis-spelled markings like "Address Sam Cotl, New Jork" on the BBL, which caused me to send them back for a refund. This was after I was assured by Texas Jacks that there would be no markings other than the Texas address stamped anyplace. I do understand this has changed, but it was a show stopper for me. I was especially unhappy as I had been promised that each of 3 revolvers would have their boxes opened for inspection of markings before shipment, and what I was assured was the case and what was actually the case were completely different.

My consumer experience with Texas Jacks left much to be desired. Guns were shipped a week late after being promised for delivery on a certain day, guns were not looked over for defects as promised, wrong items were shipped, and call tags for returns came 3 weeks late, customer service representative was rude, and I was able to optain the call tags for return 3 weeks later only after I read the riot act to the manager. I would most sincerely suggest you shop elsewhere.

All in all my Cimmaron experience was lacking, my Texas Jacks experience was completely unsatisfactory, and in contrast my experience with Taylor's imported Uberti's as procured from S&S has been excellent. Identical quality art a very substantial discount, with excellent customer service. I have been both a mail order and walk-in customer at S&S and consider them to be superb.

Willie

Old October 19, 2012, 12:54 AM   #6
red96ta

I think that the idea that Cimarron has someone at the uberti factory is some kind of internet myth. I got a Cimarron 2nd Model Dragoon last month and while it performs flawlessly, the brass-work is sub par IMHO. The brass looks like it was sand cast and has a few pits and the fitting between the brass and metal is sloppy. My Pietta's brass looks like it was cut from a solid block instead of cast.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Hawg

I have a Uberti Cimarron model P that's top notch. I had a Uberti Cattleman imported by Stoeger that was ok but left a lot to be desired in comparison. All the Italian markings except for the cat number are under the ejector rod housing.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:34 AM   #8
MJN77

I have over a dozen Uberti firearms. Some are from Cimarron, some from Taylor's,Navy Arms or Dixie Gun Works. Other than the markings there is no difference between them. Some are "better" than others. That is just the luck of the draw. Dealing directly with Cimarron/Texas Jack's is a PITA. They don't care about you once they have your money. Taylor's and Dixie both have great customer service and they sell most of the same guns that Cimarron does.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:45 AM   #9
mykeal

If you're only 90 minutes away from the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg you need to get in the truck and get your skinny little butt over there right damn now. It's a bit skewed towards the US Canoe Club folks (just kidding, swabbies), but very well worth the time.

Oh, and yeah, I own one Cimmaron Uberti. Nice gun, but not necessarily better than any other Uberti I own. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about Cimmaron from one gun, however.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Roshi

SAA Clones

Some of the Cimarron single action army clones are Pietta guns. The New Frontier and Custer and USV Artillery. Are all by Pietta. I just got a NF with 4 3/4 barrel in .357 Mag and it is a superb revolver. To me every bit as good as the Uberti's I've owned through Cimarron. So good I ordered a Custer.

When buying modern guns from Cimarron I go through Davidson's Gallery of Guns and not only get fast delivery to my dealer who offers great pricing but Davidson's has a life time replacement/repair policy so you don't have to depend on Cimarron.

The Museum of the Pacific is well worth the trip. You can't visit Cimarron but Texas Jack's is right there in town. They have a fair stock but I recommend calling or emailing ahead if yoiu are looking fro something specific.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Peter M. Eick

I agree the museum is worth the trip. I have not gone to Texas Jacks in person but have thought about it a few times. Some day I will probably run over there just for "grins".

My Cimmaron's have been fine and no problems. When I handled the Cimmaron's in the store (Collector's here in Houston) and then compared them to other Uberti's from other importers, externally I could not see a difference. Maybe they do work on them internally. I can't really tell.

To me though, it is more of a simple issue. I will go out of my way to support a Texas company like Cimmaron. By buying through Collector's, I let them deal with any problems and since there have not been any, I am happy. I admit it was not cheap though.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Hawg

The top is a Cimarron and the bottom is a Stoeger. Case colors are all but nonexistent on the Stoeger.

Old October 20, 2012, 06:47 PM   #13
dlbarr

So I see Buffalo Arms in ID sells Cimmaron firearms (at a substantial discount compared to buying online from Cimmaron). Anybody have any experience with this transaction in terms of product quality, service etc?
Old October 23, 2012, 10:44 AM   #14
H.W. French

Buffalo Arms

I have used Buffalo Arms in the past for black powder arms. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They were very professional over the the internet and on the phone. They personally inspected my Cimarron before it left the building. You will not get that with other "big box" retailers.
I am sure to be doing business with them again in the future. I'm trying to come up with a good enough excuse to drive up to Cour d'Alene and make my next purchase FTF.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Willie Sutton

The top is a Cimarron and the bottom is a Stoeger. Case colors are all but nonexistent on the Stoeger.

That depicts a pair of SAA copies, and there are dozens of versions of finish and all on those. You can pick your level of finish based on what you want to spend. Obviously those are two different finish levels. And were likely different price points.

On cap and ball stuff there is one Uberti finish level, and the Stoeger imports are the same as the Taylors and are the same as the Cimmaron. This is based on having literally a dozen and a half of the darned things.

Willie

Old October 23, 2012, 01:57 PM   #16
jlb43

I second the kudos for Buffalo Arms. I bought a revolver a few months ago that was not a correct reproduction and they sent me the return label charged to their account and refunded all my money, including shipping, no hassle whatsoever. When I decided to buy my MWNN revolver I ordered it from them, sent the CC information and FFL and had the gun in two days. I will buy again without hesitation.