The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2001, 04:45 PM   #1
wildcat

I just finished building a new rifle.It is a .25 cal. wildcat that will push a 100 gr. projectile at about 3200 fps. I have little experience with this bullet diameter for white tail deer hunting.What are the best choices for the .25 at this velosity? If I use bullets heavier than 100 gr. I will have to seat them deeper than the ideal depth in order to make them work in my action.
Old January 17, 2001, 04:57 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You definitely want a bullet that's going to hang together and not break up when it hits the target.

I'd HIGHLY suggest, for that application, the Nosler Partition.
Old January 17, 2001, 07:13 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

.25 Bullets

Wildcat--

I've had excellent results with the Sierra Spitzer 100 gr. SP, pushing it as fast as I can out of a Ruger .257 Roberts--I mean some loads well above published max. This bulet is extremely accurate and devastating on white tails. My son claims(Humorously, I hope) that this rifle/bullet combo is more deadly than a .300 Winchester Magnum. But, really, we've had more deer drop in their tracks, DRT, than with any other rifle. I think it is simply a matter of luck, combined with extreme accuracy, but there it is.

I wouldn't even mention my .257 Roberts load, but some friends have used this same bullet, loaded a lot hotter, in .25-06 rifles. I'm sure there are some .257 Weatherby Mag users out there who will contribute input better suited to your needs.

I wouldn't bother with the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, though, because I've had it break up part of the time even at my lower velocities.

Unless you're figuring on it being a super varmint rifle, though, and I note you mentioned white tails, I think you'll be happier with the 120 grain range of bullets.

Let us know the results of your load development.

Best,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old January 17, 2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I have used the 100 grain Sierra in my 25-06 for deer but have only taken 2 with it. One was a doe on a doe day and she was standing at 330 yards (measured). Seeing it would be used strictly for the freezer and I had a rest and the deer was still I took a head shot. The bullet performed great but that is not a true test. The other was a 135 pound spike at 175 yards and it was a shoulder shot and again the bullet worked as advetised. I have then switched toa 120 grain bullet again with excellent results. If you use a lighter bullet (100 grain) make very sure of your shots and use a premium bullet.
Old January 17, 2001, 08:01 PM   #5
wildcat

Has anyone made meat with the Barns x bullet? It sounds good on paper,nearly 100% wt. retention with reliable expansion.I have never fired one myself but I always wanted to try them.
Old January 17, 2001, 08:19 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Wildcat I never used the Barnes X personally but their reputation is a great one. I do know of others that swear by them. I think that if I were going to use a steady diet of 100 grain bullets in my 25-06 it woul be along that line. As far as a 120 grain at about 2800 0r 2900 (I don't know what your wildcat can launch one at)or a 100 grain at 3200 as yours will do I would say its a toss up. Heck use what you are comfortable with and place the shots good and most likely with a good bullet either one will work well.
Old January 17, 2001, 10:08 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

My experience with the Sierra 100gr spitzer sp much like Johnny Guest's. Custom Roberts overdriven before Roy Weatherby marketed his variant. Sorry, I don't remember the twist rate. Would hold .5moa with a very stiff load of Super Vel. Only deer taken with it was neck shot, anything would have dropped it so not a real test of the bullet.

Sam
Old January 18, 2001, 03:13 AM   #8
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Vaguely related sidebar . . .

Just got update from elder son---

My Ruger .257/Sierra 100 gr/IMR 4350 assembly has scored again, a couple of days ago, in the extended season in south Texas. My sweet daughter-in-law popped a nice doe at about 125 yards. The "laser death ray" effect didn't QUITE work this time--the doe travelled about 40 feet before dropping.

What a great combination! One of these days, I'll try to figure how many food animals have fallen to that rifle since I swapped for it, I THINK in '76 or '77. First deer for both sons and at least three other people. Three feral hogs for me. And to think, I wasn't really interested in the trade--did it mainly as a favor to a friend.

Wildcat, I wish you as much enjoyment from your .25 - - -
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old January 18, 2001, 06:32 AM   #9
wildcat

Johnny my .25 will likley never do as well as yours because my usual practice is to build a gun ,take a deer or two,then build anouther.My last project was a .338 win mag on a 98 action.I took a Vermont buck with it this fall and unless I get a chance to hunt elk or some other like size critter I may never hunt with it again.At least that is what happened with my 8mm-06,and 30-30 ackley.I am already working on a 8mm-.338 mag..My .25 is much like the .25 souper but my version has a ackley 40 degree shoulder,it is on a sako L579 action,with a Bell and Carlson stock and a Simmonds Atec (borrowed from my 7x57).
Old January 18, 2001, 01:24 PM   #10
C.M.Rich

Wildcat,I use the 120gr.Hornady H.P on whitetails in my .257 Wby. at 3300fps. It's awesome! Also,I use a 100gr.Hornady spirepoint@ 3600fps. I shot a 8-pointer with this bullet at 75yds.and it came out the other side in 3 baseball size hole needless to say,It never took a step,I'm so glad I bought this rifle and 3.5-10-50 Nikon for my wife. Regards,C.M.Rich Lam.3-22-24