The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

need advice on shoulder holster

Way back in the stone age ( 1970 ) I sometimes carried using a sholder holster for my 4" colt 357 in magnum. As I remember it was very comfortable but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. The 2 carries would be for either my G19 or my S&W 686+ 3". I think the Smith would be the one I'd concentrate on.
I'd appreciate everyone's input on those who carry this way & which one they recommend.
I live in South East Florida so I'd be using it when the temp gets down into the low 60's & below.
As always, all respones are welcome.

Doc
Old November 4, 2018, 07:52 AM   #2
ms6852

Try typing "Miami style shoulder holster". That should be enough to give you the info you need. Here is a link for one company.
https://www.galcogunleather.com/miam..._8_2_1211.html
Old November 4, 2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Schlitz 45

Maybe a Dirty Harry style holster? I’d consider one if I had 686

Last edited by Schlitz 45; November 4, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old November 4, 2018, 12:40 PM   #4
heyjoe

wild guns leather...isnt that the maker that people have so many problems getting their holster from after paying.
Old November 4, 2018, 01:01 PM   #5
armednfree

Jackass rig.
Old November 4, 2018, 02:24 PM   #6
TRX

Here's a page I put together with pictures of different types of shoulder rigs: http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/shoulder/holsters.htm

After going through several, I've found I greatly prefer the single-strap type over the X type.

Also, the "upside down" types are *way* more convenient than the pull-forward or pull-up types. Most upside downs are for 2" snubbies, based on the old "Brown Shoe Company" design, but Ken Null and DeSantis make some for longer barreled revolvers and autoloaders.

What I've determined is that most of the people who design and make shoulder rigs don't actually wear them, and that while the guns may be artfully draped over dummies or models, they're going to rotated back under the point of your shoulder after you move around a big. "Gravity always wins."

You can also crossbreed some types of holster with other brands of rigging. It can be expensive given the premium for shoulder rigs to begin with, but if that's what it takes...
Old November 4, 2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Schlitz 45

I did a search on wild guns leather/lawman and see others have had issues with them, I’ve altered my post & removed the link-I didn’t want to give anyone a bum steer just always liked that style shoulder holster for a bigger revolver.
Old November 4, 2018, 06:27 PM   #8
shuvelrider

https://www.barsonyholsters.com/cart.php Might give these people a look. I have a shoulder holster from them for my Smith M586 with 6" barrel. I wear it under a leather vest when I ride the motorcycle.
Old November 4, 2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Bottom Gun

Smith & Wesson branded some leather goods back then and I had a couple of their holsters. They sold shoulder rigs that were VERY comfortable. I wore out two of them carrying my model 29.
I’ve since tried a number of different shoulder rigs but none has suited me like those old S&W holsters.
Unfortunately they are no longer made but I do see some on eBay from time to time.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old November 5, 2018, 09:31 AM   #10
TxFlyFish

TRX what are some good and comfortable single strap designs? That link is very useful
Old November 7, 2018, 06:44 PM   #11
DaleA

TRX---that's a marvelous display of shoulder holsters. I'm bookmarking it.
Thanks!
Old November 7, 2018, 09:54 PM   #12
RickB

I've been using a Galco Jackass for over fifteen years, and I like the fit, comfort, and the draw, but I'm rethinking horizontal holsters that leave you sweeping everyone around you with a loaded gun.
I have an old, vertical, holster that uses a surrounding "spring" to retain the gun - think Dirty Harry, Untouchables - and I think it's a better way to go for safety, and there are no snaps or straps.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:21 PM   #13
Cosmodragoon

Nice work, TRX!

I also prefer vertical carry. One issue I've had is that I like to wear my gun high. I like the front of the gun grip to be about even with the bottom of my shirt pocket. Between that and being a larger guy, getting the adjustments just right on some of the less expensive models can be a real challenge. I've added a few stitches here and there on a few of these and it helps.

One problem I've had with the Uncle Mike's Pro-Pak is that the elastic belt straps are too slippery. The little doodad that is supposed to hold them at length just doesn't hold. This is solved with a stitch or just tying them at the desired length.

I know getting something custom made could do a world of good but I often wear a slightly modified nylon model all day in reasonable comfort. I also like that nylon and some of the other synthetic materials in the cheapies can be washed without worry.
Old November 8, 2018, 01:32 AM   #14
Sgt127

Well don TRX!

I’ve always been a fan of the Bianchi X15.