The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 14, 1998, 02:53 PM   #1
Hilton

I'll just open this topic with the statement that your tactical long gun is USELESS without a sling. Your handgun is certainly less useful without a holster, but it only ties up one hand if you must use the support hand. The long gun really benefits from the use of a sling to free up your hands.

One of the most versatile and prolific of the weapons mounted tactical slings systems is that which HK originated on their G3 and MP5 weapon systems. It's also available in various incarnations from JFS and the Wilderness (Giles).

Wearing the sling: There are two ways that I typically see - stick your head and right arm thru, with the sling resting on your left shoulder (I call this slung right, as the weapon will fall to your right). Sling left, is the opposite of the above. You will see many people slinging their weapons to the right, but I feel that this interferes with the handgun, and requires a secondary motion to sweep the long gun out of the way to draw the pistol. Slinging to the left allows the weapon to hang in the middle of your torso, allow unhindered access to your pistol.

Another very interesting concept I saw this week was the Chalker Tactical Harness system.
You can see it on the Emerson Knives site, http://www.emersonknives.com/ (please go look at it before you ask questions about it). I had the pleasure of having Harry and Dennis Chalker demo the system for me this week, and it has me intrigued. If I'd had a few more bucks on me, I'd have one now. The shoulder harness allows for the weapon to be supported by both shoulder straps, making a long day with the weapon considerably easier. An interesting feature that I wish to further explore is the quick release feature, which allows the user to rapidly disengage the weapon from the sling. The Chalker system also lends itself readily to low ready positions as well as allowing the weapon to hang naturally to the left, getting it out of the way for weapon transitions. It's also the fastest I've seen for shooting weak shoulder -- normal slings can bunch up uncomfortably.

Even if you can't afford $30-$55 for a high speed sling system, you owe it to yourself to at least have a $5 military web sling on your weapon -- it's better than throwing your long gun down to free your hands.
Old November 14, 1998, 03:10 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

I was very impressed by the Chalker sling. I first saw it at the SOF expo being worn by our own Harry Humphries with a beautiful replica of my own beloved Benelli attached to it .
I fell in love. (no, not with you Harry... sorry)
Since then I have seen it at the Emerson site and asked around about it a little.

I will purchase one from him if he has them for sale at the SHOT show..hint-hint.

------------------
-Essayons
Old November 16, 1998, 12:38 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

That is a good question, Erick. For the average operator I see the point of many departments not allowing them. It would probably take most officers twice as long to get the shotgun into play if they had to untangle the sling from the rack and god knows what else.

Most departments are rather inflexible when it comes to weapons policies. You might try gathering data from the top training facilities backing up the pro-sling argument and appeling to the more reasonable members of your chain of command.

OTOH, sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. If you haven't been told expressly NOT to use a sling. Can you imagine if you used one and then it was a liability in a shooting incident though?

That may be one big advantage of the Chalker system, BTW. You only have to attach a loop around the grip area of the stock, then if you know you are going into a bad situation you might have time to slip the harness on and clip in.

------------------
-Essayons
Old November 16, 1998, 03:51 PM   #4
Hilton

Denny had suggested that patrolmen could wear the Chalker system over the body armor, but under the uniform shirt. That way, the hook could be slipped out between shirt buttons and attached to the shoulder weapon. I suppose this would be worth wearing an extra item if the long gun was used routinely on calls.
Old November 16, 1998, 04:27 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

THAT is a great idea.
Old November 17, 1998, 03:04 PM   #6
Harry Humphries
Staff Alumnus

I'm glad to see the awareness of the Tactical sling importance.

For infromation or purchase of the Chalker Sling visit our site at <http:gsgi.org> and fill out the info request at the bottom of the home page or go to tactical products page.
Old April 9, 2005, 01:03 PM   #7
harley rider

Great link on slings. I have an 870P and will be using it for 3 gun matches. I have also installed a http://www.factorytactical.com/StockShox.html Car15 style stock. I now have a single point sling and do not like the attachment set up - seems to get in the way of my face when bring the weapon up. the
Chalker system looks interesting... how does it attach to the 870 with the car15 stock set up??

[email protected]
Old April 9, 2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Edward429451

CQB slings (now Spectre?) are good I got one of their SOP slings on the Bushy. The more I practice with it, the more I like it. Very versatile.
Old April 9, 2005, 04:35 PM   #9
seb5

Most uniformed officers have a lot of gear already on thier person. Vest, gun, ammo, radio, pager, phone, cuff(s), OC, SureFire, keys, Taser, ASP, recorder, etc. That's just my duty stuff. Others could have more. I like the chalker hook but think most LEO's would not wear it.

As far as slings, I've been using the T.T.'s on my AR's and an Eagle on my MP-5 for several years. I like the added slider to keep the weapon from dropping all the way down. IMO either is great and hard to beat.
Old April 9, 2005, 04:53 PM   #10
harley rider

I did not say but I am Not a LEO - instead a Firefighter that will only be using the sling for the three gun match and Not all day - I need a fast sling that will Not bunch up at my sight line like the single point seem to now - Or am I just not used to or maybe using the single point wrong??? You know Firefighters - we just think we know everything
Old April 10, 2005, 07:58 PM   #11
Dwight55

"I'll just open this topic with the statement that your tactical long gun is USELESS without a sling."

Obviously, the writer of this gem has never tried to shoot a sling.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 11, 2005, 09:48 AM   #12
VaughnT

One of the biggest problems with slings is deciding on which one to get.

I have an M4gery that I like, but I'm not an operator and don't ever see the need for something like the Chalker rig. Yea, I could play in the 3-gun matches, but does that require a 3-pt sling or a 1-pt sling? Would the Chalker rig make the difference?

I'm not going to be doing any climbing, running, rappeling in the near future. I surely won't be egressing from a rubber boat or clearing a structure. What I need is something simple to slip into and out of; something that is reasonably well-priced and offers me a way to retain the weapon but doesn't tangle me up if the weapon gets hung up on something.

I like the simplicity of the 1pt sling....just have to decide on which make/model.