The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
jmfc606

T/C Renegade and White Mountain Carbine

A local gun shop just took in on trade a T/C White Mountain Carbine in 50 cal and a T/C Renegade in 54 cal with an extra 50 cal BBL assembly. I'm going to stop back tomorrow because he didn't price them yet. Both are in excellent condition. They have been fired but neither looks to have any wear at all. My question of course is how much are they worth? Thanks in advance!
Old December 19, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
PetahW

I wouldn't expect to pay more than $150-$200 for a White Mountain Carbine, and $350-$400 for the Renegade w/two barrels - PROVIDED the bore(s) are rust-free.

Old December 19, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3
arcticap

Used Renegades are fairly common and cost about $175 - $200 in very good condition.
With an extra barrel costing $75 - $100 more it would be worth about $275 - $300 tops.
The White Mountain Carbine would cost about the same, about $175 or so.
$475 for both guns is about the top price, with less being an even better deal for buying both guns, say $450 out the door.
But $500 for both wouldn't be unreasonable either if both guns and the extra barrel were in really great condition.

Last edited by arcticap; December 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, I sold an unmolested .54 Renegade last Spring for $300, via walking it around a funshow - but the sale DID include over 100 unfired NOS T/C Maxi-Hunter conicals.

Old December 20, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Save some money. Let'em keep the White Mtn Carbine for another customer. Go after that Renegade with a vengeance in mind like "I GOTT'A HAVE IT!!" I believe you'll enjoy the 54 more. Hopefully that extra barrel is a Round Ball or a Quick Twist for conicals. If you do purchase the Renegade. My advise before leaving that shop Sir. >Swap the two barrel out to make sure the 50 Cal fits in the Renegades stock properly. A Renegade's barrel channel for a 54 cal. is usually 1" measured across its octagonal barrel flats. Where as that 50 cal may or not measure out to 1" and could very well be 15/16ths measured across its octagonal flats. 1/16th of and inch may not seem like allot. But in a stocks wooden barrel channel you want a near perfect fit without any extra tolerance. As far as pricing. Hey, with Gun Shops. "Its what ever the market will bare." Its up to you to make your best deal and be happy with that reduced price you bargained too when walking out that door with that fine look'in weapon under your arm._
Good luck and let us here know how you made out on this deal please. I'm kind of anxious to know.

S/S
Old December 23, 2012, 08:06 PM   #6
jmfc606

I went back and checked them out. It was definately the wrong time to be in a gunshop. There were gobs of panic induced idiots buying every .223/.556round and AR-15 rifle in sight. I'll go back and make my offer in a week or so when they are sold out of every black type gun they have.

The Renegade was priced $375 with both BBLS and the White Mt carbine was priced at $275. I'm gonna offer $450 for both and see what happens. They both look brand new. If I can't get them both I'll go $300 for the renegade. I'll keep you posted.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:55 AM   #7
dlbarr

I bought a WMC in .54 probably 6-7 yrs ago. It was brand new at a now-defunct GI Joe's store. That model has been out of production for quite awhile, maybe somebody else here knows how long, I don't. But I gave $300 for it and haven't been sorry that I did. It's a shooter for sure - I bought for my three boys to use and it's been good. But you might well get a deal on those two rifles together, I doubt there's a big market for that kind of weapon right now.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:03 AM   #8
arcticap

The price often depends on the selling venue, that is where it's being sold.
A gun shop has monthly overhead and needs to pay their expenses such as taxes, insurance, wages, heat etc...
It's not like the guns still belong to the original owner who are often more willing to cash them in for a fair price.
However I doubt that the original owner received $450 in trade for them, even if he had traded them in towards a high end firearm.
Most gun shops want to clear at least $50 per gun if they've invested in it.
But it sounds like that shop wants to clear $100 per gun or more.
Remember that their business is based on the formula of "buy low and sell high".
Considering the price that they're asking, $450 would only be a starting point for opening negotiation.
Even paying $500 wouldn't be too bad if they're both really like new, and could very well still give the shop a net profit of $50 per gun.
However offering $500 out the door would still be better than paying $500 plus the state sales tax.

Last edited by arcticap; December 24, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #9
bobn

jm how did you make out? while in cabelas the other day I noticed it took a lot more than what your store was asking to get a imported black powder rifle. I recently purchased a tc hawken like new and paid a lot more than that but I figure I was ahead by far....bobn
Old December 28, 2012, 11:43 PM   #10
jmfc606

I haven't been able to get back there and won't be able to get there until Sun or Mon. I'm a long time customer so I called and asked him to put both on the side for me until I came up to "talk price". He said no problem as he is out of stock on AR-15's and .556ammo so it's just the "regulars" coming into the store. He said he'd treat me right on a package deal so I'm hoping to get the whole lot. If he'll do it for $500 or under they'll be mine. Oh and if you pay cash with this guy it's no tax!