The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2015, 06:59 PM   #1
PittsburghNasty

My first two FTL ever today!

One was on my CZ P06 and the other on my CZ P01. The using Remington UMC on the P01 and WWB on the P06. Easily 3000 rds the P01, and 1000 throught the P06.

Are FTF usually the ammo or the weapon? I'f used all sorts of ammo with both, SB, Federal, UMC, WWB, Hornaday, etc. I did keep both rounds so that I could take a look at them when I got home.

I am still novice so I'd like some feedback. Thank you!

Last edited by PittsburghNasty; July 11, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:02 PM   #2
TunnelRat

By FTF do you mean failure to fire or failure to feed? The second f can be a bit up in the air.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 11, 2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Dashunde

Do you mean they chambered, took a hit by the firing pin and didnt go off?
If so, did you try firing them again?

Or did they "jam" some how, mechanically failing to cycle through correctly?

If they took a pin hit I dont think I'd keep them around.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:12 PM   #4
PittsburghNasty

Sorry... Neither round chambered. The both blocked the slide from going forward, like after the final round of a magazine.

I guess that's FTL.
Old July 11, 2015, 08:50 PM   #5
cougar gt-e

Incorrectly sized brass would be my first thought. If they are reloads.

Plunk test a hundred and check.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:01 PM   #6
745SW

I'm not familiar with these pistols. Assuming 9mm the S&B being warmer may work better for you.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:18 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

With novices, you can never rule out "limp wristing" as a cause of malfunctions such as failure to feed.

Suggest that you could have someone with a good grip fire the ammo and see if you still get the same results.

This is not ALWAYS the case, but a possibility rather than ammo.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:41 PM   #8
PittsburghNasty

Thanks fellas. I think you are right HVR. Everything was high and left today and I know I was flinching. Just wasn't a good day at the range.

These were all new ammo, the guns were the CZ-USA P-01 & CZ-USA P-06.

I appreciate the feedback!
Old July 12, 2015, 12:11 PM   #9
DaleA

Shrug. I don't have any handguns that have NOT jammed or misfired.

If the guns were perfect, and they are not, then my own reloads or the (rare) dud factory rounds would cause the occasional problem.

Problems are a fact of life. Just gives you a chance to practice your tap-rap-inverted-overhand-double-salchow-slingshot-failure-drill so that if a failure ever occurs for real you'll know how to do it.
Old July 12, 2015, 01:53 PM   #10
vyse.04

It could be any number of things, but because it only happened twice, it is harder to diagnose. I had eight failure to feeds with my Glock within the first 120 rounds of purchase, took it out yesterday with different ammo, and ran 150 through it without a single issue. I think mine was either due to ammo, or some super tight magazines.

Limp wresting could be your issue, but it is more common with the smaller handguns that do not give you much space to hold onto. My failures seemed to have no rhyme or reason, and I was able to fire some rounds barely holding the gun (or using a death grip).
Old July 13, 2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Dashunde

Two different guns running two different brands of ammo, neither had any prior failures, then both have the same kind of failure during the same trip to the range.
There is one common denominator (the shooter) or its just a coincidence....
Old July 14, 2015, 12:44 PM   #12
dyl

cleaning

Perhaps you haven't cleaned in a long time? That would explain why now and not earlier.

If the slide rails and frame rails are dirty, the gunk can slow down the forward movement of the slide and not chamber the round with enough force. Limp wristing will also do this by your wrist/arm absorbing some of the force that usually propels the slide fully to the rear so a long forward stroke can follow.

Also, check your technique, some folks have found themselves making contact with the slide as it travels and this slows down the action. Usually a thumb.
Old July 14, 2015, 01:02 PM   #13
hub1home

Remington UMC

Back in the 80's, I tried using Remington UMC and this ammo would never work in any of my pistols including Colt Gold Cup. However, there was no problems in any of my revolvers using the appropriate calibers of course.

What I would do is get some Winchester, Federal and try it. It may just quickly solve your problem without further ado.

Tags
40sw , 9mm , cz-usa , ftf , ftl