The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 21, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
RUN2424

P11

Thanks to every one for the advice.Bought the p11 for a range gun. Needless to say that is not a plinking gun. Found a good deal on a Bul Cherokee 9mm for the range. Shot that for awhile,now time to step up. So got a really good deal on a S&W 4044. what a smooth shooter. Thot my wifes new XDM 9 was smooth it has nothing on the S&W......
Old December 22, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2
PT-92

Indeed--the P11 is perhaps one of the finest small CCW 9mm's to be found but it's not a true "range gun" in any respect .

-Happy Holidays
Old December 23, 2011, 05:00 PM   #3
sgms

Agreed, outstanding pocket carry protection piece but a real nasty choice as a recreational shooter.
Old December 23, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Having had many of these small guns, I think the P-11 is a sweetheart compared to some of the small 9mm or .380 handguns.

My problem with the P-11 was an inability to adjust to its trigger if I had been shooting anything else.

I decided to shoot it at an IDPA match once, and it took me forever to clear the first stage. After that, things went well, and I shot it well. But, I realized that the first Stage of the IDPA match was probably what I'd experience if I were carrying the P-11 and had to use it in a crisis situation.

I traded it away, and eventually got a small gun with a trigger that I could handle -- first the P3AT, and then then the Kahr P9, and then an LCP, and finally the PF9. (I'd probably still have the P9, except someone made me an offer I simply couldn't refuse.) Nothing wrong with the P-11; it was all ME.

I'll probably get a PM9, one of these days.

The P-11 was never my favorite gun, but properly shot, it was accurate, reliable, and a good size. The broad grip made it comfortable to shoot. I just didn't shoot it enough to really develop the right kind of muscle memory to make it a good choice for me. Those folks who really focus on the P-11 do well with it.
Old December 23, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5
fnsmoak

If "melted" and preserved properly, the P-11 has no competition in the comfortable carry category.

Without dampening the faux-hexagona slide, distinct corners make constant carry uncomfortable, and indeed ruin clothing; at least for the active individual.

Slide on right is the personally customized ("melted") P-11 after parkerizing.

GUNSMOAK
Old December 24, 2011, 12:16 AM   #6
RUN2424

Is that a P11 barrel rounded over??
Old December 24, 2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Master Blaster 2

SCCY has a Generation 2 pistol that blows away the KelTec P11in price, contol and quality. CPX-1 has a safety and the CPX-2 does not.

Old February 2, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
jaxgunslinger

I had a gen2 CPX, the receiver had to be replaced just over 300rds. The CPX has its plus's over the Kel-tec, but will never beat them in long term reliability. The price difference on line is only about $50 for the KT. Also, the kel-tecs have lots of accessory options. The Sccy's don't have any that I'm aware of.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:43 PM   #9
PT-92

Quote:
jaxgunslinger

I had a gen2 CPX, the receiver had to be replaced just over 300rds. The CPX has its plus's over the Kel-tec, but will never beat them in long term reliability. The price difference on line is only about $50 for the KT. Also, the kel-tecs have lots of accessory options. The Sccy's don't have any that I'm aware of.
I have never heard of this gun until now--am I the only one not familiar with this...?

-Cheers
Old February 2, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10
B.N.Real

Everytime I see SCCY I think sucky.

Not a reflection on the actual gun-that's just what the abbreviation looks like it would be to me.

You'd think the marketers might have thought of that when they named it.

I owned a P11 once for one trip to the range and sold it because it was simply one of a kind in the way you had to shoot it.

Long travel trigger,high effort spring,very light and difficult to keep on target.

That said,now that I am again back in thge market for a small frame semi auto 9mm,the P11's many advantages for ccw appeal to me.

It's does'nt hurt that I'm broke as a stone now too.

The P11's especially used are excellent deals.

And I really like the smooth recontoured gun shown.

That makes total sense for pocket carry.

You'd think someone at KelTec would have already figured that out.

The Beretta Nano shows Beretta already did.

But's it's almost half a grand.

Last edited by B.N.Real; February 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 05:57 PM   #11
jaxgunslinger

My P11 with 15rd mag, custom trigger shoe, Handle jr grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p11 upgrades 006.jpg (226.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg p11 upgrades 007.jpg (223.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg p11 upgrades 012.jpg (230.0 KB, 31 views)
Old February 7, 2012, 08:43 PM   #12
scottycoyote

do some of the mods on the p11 from keltec.org and it makes it a better shooting gun (like the eraser mod, etc), but even then....no the p11 isnt what id call a range gun nor was it meant to be