The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 21, 2006, 06:52 PM   #1
cdoc42

Scope changing point of impact

First time I ever had this experience. I have a Leupold 6.5-20 on a .270 WSM and I was sighting in at 100 yards using 10 power. Shots were 1.5" high, slightly off to the right. I cranked up to 20 power and fired at 200 yards; I hit about 4" to the right. At 300 yards I was about 9 inches to the right. Wind was not an issue and I set the yardage to adjust for paralax at the corresponding location on the optical end. I reset the scope to 10 power and I hit dead on at 300 yards (adjusting for distance, of course). Should I send the scope back to Leupold?
Old January 23, 2006, 10:01 AM   #2
ConRich

I would check the mounts and rings then check to see if the scope is properly aligned with your rifle. Something may have come loose or got bumped . After you have checked all that go back to the 100yd target test fire and adjust the windage. Remember that if your shooting say 2" to the right @ 100yds, you would be 4" to the right @ 200yds and 6" to the right at 300yds etc. From the information in your post it sounds like your getting farther off to the right as the range is increased. Then again, it might be the scope . Not to worry Leupold has a great warranty

Good luck
Rich
Old January 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Pointer

You probably already know this... but

a little bit to the right at 100 yards will look pretty drastic at 200 and subsequently greater at 300 yards.

If that isn't the problem...
And the scope is wandering around (Back and forth and or up and down)

Send the scope back to Leupold...

Call them first and get a return authorization code...
Old January 23, 2006, 08:15 PM   #4
cdoc42

Thanks to both of you. I'm not surprised by the additional travel as the yardage increases. MAybe I didn't explain it clearly enough. What IS surprising is when I dropped the power down to 10 the point of impact at 300 yards was the same as that seen at 100 yards (adjusted for elevation).

For example, at 10 power, at 100 yards my point of impact was 1.5 inches high, about 1 inch to the right. At 300 yards it was 1 inch to the right and 6 inches low. Just what I would expect.

When I increased the power to 20, at 300 yards I was 6 inches low, but 9 inches to the right.

I fired 3 shots in all cases so the above changes were consistent. None of the scopes on my other rifles do that ( Burris and Bushnell).

I tried to e-mail Leupold but so far I've not had a response.
Old January 23, 2006, 08:35 PM   #5
ConRich

You can contact Leupold Technical Service at (503) 526-1400. They will probably recomend that you send the scope to them to be checked out.

Good luck,
Rich