The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2005, 06:31 PM   #1
justsomedude

Blasphemy

Ok, I own a stainless Ruger Old army 44 cal blackpowder revolver (the 7.5" barrel version). I love the thing but I'm just not happy with the grips. I don't shoot SASS CAS or anything like that so I don't need to keep the gun period-correct. I know this is basically going to get me flamed, but I feel like the grips themselves and the position the gun puts my hand in, plain sucks.
I looked around online for some alternate grips. I did find one place that had fingerswell grips ($65)

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Excali...gripsruger.asp

They sell the same part number for the vaquero and blackhawk so I guess the grips are interchangeable.

My questions are:
- has anyone seen any 'modern' grips for the Ruger Old Army? Maybe (god forbid) wrap around rubber finger groove grips?

-Is there another grip frame I can bolt on that isnt so...old timey??

(yes, I know I could just buy another gun but I dont want to :-P )
Old December 30, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Old Dragoon

No Flames here......

I won't flame you and probably no one else will either. We all do pretty much what floats our own boats.
I just saw a pistol for sale online that had something like you are talking about. They looked like Ivory abut the left grip had finger grooves in it. Not bad looking at all. This was on either an Pietta "58 or Uberti, but it well could have been an Ruger Old Army. I think it was on either Gunbroker or Auctionarms. I did a double take when I noticed it.
Personally my hands are small and the '58 is a handfull, if I wasn't into the CAS thing then I'd be looking at some too.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:30 AM   #3
cma g21

No flame here either. I really like my Blackhawk, but also didn't like the grips. I tried Pachmayr, but didn't relly like the either.
I finally settled on Hogue monogrips. They don't look authentic, but they feel great! YMMV

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=781093