The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2002, 09:21 PM   #1
westvirginia

Swaged or Cast - newbie question

I'm not green to reloading, but I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination. I've been rolling my own for about 2.5 years now, and I mostly use jacketed bullets (230gr .45's, 170gr .30-30). I've loaded some hard-cast .44 mag stuff, but I've seen advertisements for swaged bullets as well. What's the difference? In what situations would one use either for a "better" result. I know a bunch of stuff is subjective, is this just one of those things?

Jack
Old July 21, 2002, 11:17 PM   #2
capbuster

Swaged bullets are generally a softer lead alloy since they are formed under pressure in a swaging die. I have found that they are excellent performers when used for mild to moderate target reloads for my revolvers.
Old July 22, 2002, 07:07 AM   #3
westvirginia

So I need to use the hard-cast for faster hunting loads then?
Old July 22, 2002, 07:57 AM   #4
Catbird

Definitely!

After 25 years of reloading, I've pretty much gotten away from using lead bullets altogether, but when I do, it's hardcast.

I have some of these hardcast lead rounds for both .44 magnum and .45 Colt, but these are relatively mild (1,000 fps or less) loads. I used to get a tremendous amount of leading from swaged lead bullets over 950 fps or so.

The only time I'd even consider swaged bullets, is for .38 special SWCHPs in order to possibly get a little expansion from a snubnosed revolver.

Bottom line: If you're going to use lead, use the hardcast variety; "Laser Cast" aka: "Oregon Trail" are good.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old July 22, 2002, 10:05 AM   #5
westvirginia

Thanks, guys. I always appreciate the info I get on this board.

Jack
Old July 22, 2002, 11:31 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Quality of the lube makes a tremendous difference in leading.

Sam
Old July 22, 2002, 08:35 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

AND QUALITY OF MANUFACTURE

www.pennbullets.com

Or.....

Cast Performance
Beartooth
Dry Creek

Now them's some lead!
Old July 23, 2002, 07:38 AM   #8
braindead0

I've used Meister Cast (http://www.meisterbullets.com/) hard swaged lead. They use a different swaging process that allows for using harder lead. I've only tried SWC and HBWC which is what a local chain place carries. The prices is good and the only leading problem I had was with under-powered SWC leading a little bit at the back of the barrel.

I am in no way associated with Meister Cast ;-).. Just happens that a close place always has them in stock and the work pretty darned good.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:42 AM   #9
LAH

Atlanta, you're a long ways from home Jack. Swaged lead bullets are great, so are cast. Each have their own place. The soft swaged lead bullets give me the best results at 650-750 fps. These bullets are usually very accurate at 25 to 50 yards. Just don't try to push them.

Cast bullets vary so much the sky's the limit. Soft ones cast from 1-20 or something like straight air cooled wheel weights make good 700-1000 fps bullets. Our standard bullets run 16-18 BHN and do well from 900-1300 with 1100-1200 being probably best. Hard cast stuff like 20-22 BHN are great but need to pushed hard.

With all that said about cast bullets I still feel the most important thing is they fit your gun. Heck a book could be written on that subject alone. Well at least a chapter.

Probably most swaged lead bullets shot in this country are WC or HBWC. These bullets used with fast burning powder in 38 special cases can shoot groups that make tears of joy.
Old July 26, 2002, 04:56 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

"I'll MAKE'EM FIT, BY GOLLY"

LAH knows bullets.

(His are BEAUTIFUL. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.)