The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 27, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
badbadhoggie

Colt DA

I have a Colt Da Revolver...rac inspector markings and US stamped on the right side with oversized trigger guard...ser# 46376...anyone have any info on model, caliber etc...thanx

Last edited by badbadhoggie; August 27, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old August 27, 2010, 02:42 PM   #2
RickB

Sounds like a M1902 variation of the 1878 double action frontier model. They were made for a Philippine police unit, the extra long trigger giving additional leverage for the heavy DA pull. An enduring myth is that the large trigger guard was intended for use with heavy gloves, so the gun is still sometimes called the "Alaskan model". It's chambered in .45 Colt, and they were made during the period that Colt was changing from blackpowder to smokless powder capability, but I don't know if the guns were approved for smokeless, or not. I have one of these guns, but rarely look at it except for an annual wipe-down and return to the safe.
There's a pic here: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21980
Old August 27, 2010, 03:40 PM   #3
badbadhoggie

Thanx

Rick, thanx for the info...i bought the pistol 25yrs ago from a friend for $75 just thought it was a good deal...action is loose and it's worn out but i still kept it...
Old August 27, 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Note, please, one thing. If you want to disassemble that revolver (which I do NOT recommend) the hammer screw has LEFT HAND threads. A lot of those guns have been damaged by ham-handed folks who didn't know that and tried using a bigger screw driver or even drilling out the "stuck" screw.

Jim
Old August 27, 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
badbadhoggie

Colt DA

Not gonna mess with it...haven't seen in a couple years..cleaning out the safe and was just courious about it