The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Kimber Camp Guard 10MM Table Top Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygw6al4wOQI

Kimber was never a brand that captured my attention until 2017. There were three products added to the Kimber portfolio that made me take notice. 1st the Kimber K6s revolver previously reviewed, the Kimber Super Jagagre 10MM and this Kimber Camp Guard 10 MM. Kimber partnered with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation to configure the ideal back country defensive handgun in a high powered cartridge. Proceeds from each purchase will go towards conservation.

Features:
Full Size 1911/Frame
Skeletonized Trigger
Checkered Frame Front
5inch Ramped Barrel
Night Sights
Flat Top Slide with Rounded Edges
Serrated BobTail Mainspring Housing

Some say the Colt Delta Elite saved the 10MM, well Kimber has extended its legacy.
Old March 20, 2017, 06:20 PM   #2
B.O.F.H.

A looker for sure, my only Kimber had to go back to Yonkers for repairs. It runs now, but has me hesitant to drop that kind of coin again anytime soon.

Thanks for the review.
Old March 22, 2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Venom1956

there are superior guns at kimber prices, at least for my tastes. I am glad you go something that is perfect for you though. Id also call make sure that barrel isn't carbon in the white...
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; March 22, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old March 24, 2017, 02:15 AM   #4
tipoc

Nice review. Good work.

tipoc
Old July 9, 2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Rfactor

I just bought a new Kimber Camp Guard 10, and took it out to the range to shoot it for the first time. The very first round jammed as I attempted to load it. After trying three different types of ammo, factory, reloads, ball, and hollowpoints, the best result was two rounds feeding before another jam. Took it straight back to the dealer to be returned to Kimber for repair. Very disappointing!
Old July 9, 2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Mr.RevolverGuy

That sucks Rfactor mine has been flawless please let us know how Kimber treats you. What I have noticed is that Kimber has a very tight chamber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2AN5v7AjyI

Wait let me backup coated lead bullets would not feed in any of my 1911 10MM but the Camp Guard choked on just about everyone. I notice the case mouth with the coated bullet seated was .426 with plated bullets it was .424 with jacketed Nosler it was .423.

For this next statement please do not go ape crap. I ran the coated and plated bullets through my Lee factory crimp die and they all came out .423 and then cycled fine. I purchase some Sig 180gr and notice they were .424 I had a few jams with them also but after running factory Sig through the Lee it was all fine.

To late now but one thing you could have checked was the slide stop, on my Para it was to large for the profile of Berry's round shoulder bullet. After just a little polishing all was fine.

I really wish you the best of luck let us know the outcome.
Old July 9, 2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Rfactor

I will keep you posted. Almost seemed more of a problem with the feed ramp, but not sure. I think Kimber just happened to let a bad one slip through. The dealer seems very interested in making this right, and hopefully, Kimber will as well.
Old December 2, 2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Mr.RevolverGuy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I am curious Rfactor what did Kimber say.

I have recently found out that I have been shooting with my Ruger/Colt Delta Elite magazines which seem to be the same and they are flawless with this pistol. I happen to notice my Kimber magazines were in the safe so I took them out and WOW it won't run 1 round without a jam.

Even more interesting these Kimber magazines which look to be checkmate magazines run flawlessly in the Para Elite Hunter.