The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2013, 09:20 AM   #51
JimDandy

I believe both Wade's and The Bellevue Indoor range both rent handguns, and require their ammo in their handguns. I know Wade's also requires you have your own firearm, or bring a friend. Too many people wanted to rent for just the one shot.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #52
willr

One additional comment. The range that allows no reloads also restricts what 22lr ammo can be used: copper plated bullets only. We have another range which, while allowing reloads, makes a surcharge of $2 over and above the hourly range fee if you don't buy any ammo from them.

willr
Old May 8, 2013, 10:37 AM   #53
deepcreek

This reminds me of concert venues were they do not allow outside drinks but they sell the $6-8oz drinks in little plastic cups. Greed.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:19 PM   #54
BigD_in_FL

Not greed, otherwise they would mandate you buy their ammo. Insurance, if obtainable, is very high - if the carrier says his premiums will double with reloads, then no reloads
Old May 8, 2013, 02:30 PM   #55
SIGSHR

People are always claiming "insurance issues". One very knowledgeable insurance agent told me 90% of insurance policies don't say what people claim are in them-and 90% of people never read them. Their range, their rules, I would look elsewhere.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:50 PM   #56
Justice06RR

I've heard many weird shooting range policies, including no reloads.

Some other common restrictions is no steel-core ammo and no rapid fire. A really weird restriction from a range I went to is that they do not allow you to bring loaded magazines. So you have to load all your mags while you're in the range, which can be very time consuming sometimes.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:59 AM   #57
spacecoast

We have an indoor range like that too, I don't go there often any more but when I do, I just take my reloads (which I pack in factory boxes) and don't volunteer the fact that they are reloads, and they don't ask. If you don't mix headstamps, it can be hard to tell what's what.

The only two squibs I've ever had in 3-1/2 years of shooting were both factory ammo, one centerfire and one rimfire.

"No rapid fire" I can kinda/sorta understand, many people don't understand that the muzzle tends to climb under rapid fire and can end up shooting out target frames, lights, etc. So I save my RF practice for my home range up north.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:37 AM   #58
iowamike

Maybe this is why

Freedom munitions I bought 500 rounds of the 9mm "Reman" and found a few 380 autos with 9mm bullets stuffed in them. Emailed and said its my wife's Kahr and no way would I let her use these. They traded me for "New" and they looked and shot well. Actually they helped her grouping over WM ammo. Been back several time over the last few months but only new 9mm.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:56 AM   #59
Nittespanker

What manufacturer says in the users manual that reloads are approved to fire?
All of the manuals I have say it voids the warranty or flat out say do not use reloaded or hand loaded ammo.
Compliance with this may be required by the ranges insurance policy.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:56 PM   #60
bumnote

I've never been to a range in the last 20+ years where I didn't have to sign some sort of waiver of liability for whatever may happen on the range due to theirs or someone else's actions.

The only places I've heard of doing this, outside the web, are places that also say you can't keep your brass either. I have a feeling it so they can sell that "once fired" brass, but have no proof.

Personally I think the insurance line is BS.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #61
Misssissippi Dave

A range I have been to a few times now has a policy all brass that hits the floor is theirs. The owner told me they have all the brass going to a company making reloaded ammo. This place also sells reloaded ammo from that company. He also said it allows him to keep the range fees lower with this policy. His range fees are lower per hour than most you will find around here. The facility is pretty new. He also said he got a break on the insurance by having the policy so there are not people crawling around on the floor while shooting is taking place. I can see his point. I prefer to go to places where I can collect my brass. There is room in this world for both types of ranges.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:29 PM   #62
spacecoast

Quote:
A range I have been to a few times now has a policy all brass that hits the floor is theirs.
That would be a revolver-only range for me! ... or at least set up a net and catch most of it.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:31 PM   #63
FloridaGuy

I have 5 local ranges here in my area. Only 2 out of 5 will allow reloads to be shot. Most of the ranges that do not allow reloads will inspect any ammo you bring into the range before you can shoot it. Most of them prefer you purchase the ammo from them. Also most of the ranges do not allow any steel case or steel core ammo and no green tip rounds, most do not allow magnum loads or rifle calibers bigger than the .300 Winchester.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old May 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #64
Misssissippi Dave

I was shooting revolver, .22, Blazer aluminum, Tulammo and Wolf while I was there. I'm getting low on center fire non re-loadable ammo to take there. It is an indoor range and you don't always have good weather here to shoot outdoors. This range also has A/C and heat. I may return again but it isn't my first choice.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #65
Silver00LT

The ranges by me have a policy that you can not pick up brass.

I just drive the extra mileage to a secluded range and pick up my brass and anyone elses that left without picking theirs up.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:53 AM   #66
ssilence

The outdoor range near me allows you to keep whatever brass you pick up (or atleast I haven't seen any policies and they have yet to say anything to me.) The indoor range has a policy that you can pick up any brass that is within your shooting box/area. So, that means if the previous person left everything and didn't clean up, it is yours.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #67
FloridaGuy

All the ranges around my area allow you to pick up any brass. It use to be that nobody wanted the brass but now a days people almost fight over it.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old May 12, 2013, 10:09 AM   #68
TX Hunter

Can You only shoot ammo You buy at the Range ? Otherwise how could they tell Your shooting Handloads ? Propper Handloads look like Factory Amunition. Some of mine looks better.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:14 PM   #69
thump_rrr

I'm a member at an indoor range where no steel core ammo is allowed.
They also have a caliber limit and a velocity limit of 3,000fps.
All the laws at our range are to protect and prolong the life of our backstop.
MFS is bi-metallic with a thin copper jacket and an iron core.
This ammunition has caused substantial damage to our clubs backstop and is banned by name.
Our club sells reloading components and reloading equipment so they have no objection to us picking up our own brass.
They even don't mind if we pick through the brass bucket so long as we don't empty them.
The IPSC shooters make sure they get all the .40 cal they can get their hands on.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #70
Mr.RevolverGuy

I have an indoor range minutes away from me but drive further because of their rules and because I feel they aren't telling the truth. They do not allow reloads and say it is because of insurance, but then they have more remanufactured ammo on the shelf which actually state reloads on the box than they do of new ammo.

This same range say if you come in their range all brass belongs to them even if you shoot a revolver. I went in one day to shoot my 625 and at the time the rule was all brass on the floor belongs to the range, they had posters every where. After unloading a few cylinders of WWB new ammo cases the range officer walked into my lane and said excuse me then knocked all the brass I had on my lane on the floor. I asked what was going on he pointed to a sign I said that clearly says on the floor this is not on the floor. I spoke with the owner who happened to be there and he said no that pertains to all brass. I packed up and left. The next week I go into the shop and all the signs have been changed to ALL BRASS in bold letters is property of the range, the on the floor portion had been removed. I looked at a few Sig 1911's and walked out.

I will never visit there again.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:31 PM   #71
Silver00LT

^ MrRevolver - I hope you are spreading that rule by word by mouth to further hurt their business. That is down right rude and crooked. I would of picked up the brass he knocked over and told him to go to hell and walk out.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:53 PM   #72
thump_rrr

In mt opinion that is theft.
I would love to see them try to justify this in court.
You purchase a gun, brass, bullets, primers, and powder.
When you go to the range you expect to return home with your gun, and your brass because they are both reuseable.
They don't expect you to leave the gun behind when it is empty or do they?
Old May 13, 2013, 10:35 AM   #73
spacecoast

I'm not sure if stealing brass from a guy holding a gun is all that bright.

Seriously, that is a terrible policy. Maybe there is a way to warn other shooters to stay away.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:35 AM   #74
Scottish Highlander

post 70 is rediculouse, just for a laugh you should go in load your 6 shooter.....fire all 6 shots of and not empty it. Pack it away and walk out holding your middle finger up to them ...there clearly using the brass as a profit margin !!!!
Old May 13, 2013, 06:27 PM   #75
Mr.RevolverGuy

For those local if asked about ranges I always mention them as a range not to attend. But as I stated they have changed all of their signage to make it clear no reloads and that all brass after fired belongs to them. I am always hesitant to mention their name online because I have a friend that works there as a 2nd form of employment and is depending on them to make a living. They of course know who I am and if I start bad mouthing them online I fear I will put him in jeopardy of loosing his job. I feel free in mentioning this anonymously because I know of others whom have experienced the same thing.

I do know they do not sell the brass but send it all in to this company http://www.precisioncartridge.com/prices.html as a credit for remanufactured ammo. This is the ammo which they always have the most of even when there was not a shortage.