The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
blackdog_507

Let's talk Taurus.....

Ok, so I don't own a Taurus handgun. I am a S&W guy all the way. I have a smith 1911, SW99 in 40 (walther colaboration), 686-5 Lew Horton gun, and model 10 .38 inheritted from my grandfather. And I'm always looking to buy more. I have a Ruger Single Six, and a Walther P22. I have avoided Taurus handguns when the opportunity has come up, just because I've been able to find Smith's or other I like better. I don't own a 9mm and I'm wanting a true DA/SA high-cap gun with a METAL frame (not poly) with a de-cocker, etc. So, I've looked at several options from Smith (59, 39, etc) and can't find a gun I like the look and feel of. So then I looked to the beretta 92, and it seems a bit big and uncomfortable in the grip area. I'd love a Sig 226, or an HK, but the prices are just too high right now. So I find a Taurus PT909 in 9mm which according to the Taurus website is model 92 reduced by 20%. It looks a lot like a 92 also. Looks like everything I want, and I like the looks and feel. I'm happy with everything about it, except the raging bull stamped on the side of it. Should this be stopping me from purchasing it?
Old March 12, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2
kylen

No that shouldn't stop you. But the other raging bull aka Taurus Bashers may stop you. I bought a Taurus PT92 and it's a great firearm. Never had any issues with it. Or with my Taurus Judge or Taurus Millennium Pro 3rd gen. .45. They have all been reliable. Good luck with whatever u decide to do.

Last edited by kylen; March 12, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old March 12, 2011, 05:06 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

Before you make a decision,,,

Check out a CZ-75BD,,,
9mm, 16 + 1 capacity, decocker.

There are lots of great guns out there,,,
And I'm not saying the CZ's are the best of the lot,,,
But they are definitely good enough to warrant a good looking at.

Just a thought,,,

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 12, 2011, 09:05 PM   #4
blchandl2

I wouldn't let it stop me if it is the tpe of gun you want. I just bought a Taurus 99AF and really like it. I have a model 65? 37 magnum that I bought 28 years without a single issue.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:29 PM   #5
BerettaBuckeye

Let's talk search function, lots to read through and most of it probably not what you want to hear
- Jeff Cooper
Old March 12, 2011, 10:08 PM   #6
larryh1108

If you like it, buy it. With gun prices these days they don't lose much value unless you pay too much to start with. As long as you don't beat it up you should be able to get near what you paid for it if it isn't what you hoped it would be. Win/win, IMO.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Jake Balam

I have a Taurus, I had an xd.

I traded my xd, I still have my Taurus..

Loved my xd, Taurus was just a better carry gun.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Bamashooter

I have had no issues whatsoever with my taurus. If you like it, buy it. Who cares what other people think.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:55 PM   #9
John Fritz

I own a Beretta 92FS Inox and a Taurus PT92AFS. I like them both equally. I prefer the slide mounted safety/decocker on the Beretta versus the frame mounted Taurus. Both guns have performed flawlessly and are more accurate than I am. I would not hesitate to recommend the PT92 to anyone looking for that style gun.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
exphys2010

It should all depend on how much the raging bull stamp actually bothers you. I personally wouldn't care that much, but I am a taurus fan. I own several handguns, and 3 of them are from Taurus, and 1 is a stainless steel PT92. All 3 have been fantastic firearms, not a hiccup from any of them, and the 92 is very accurate. With the exception of maybe Ruger handguns, I don't think there is a better value of firearm for the money in my opinion. So id say go with it.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:42 PM   #11
gunluver

If you like it, buy it. It's your money. Do I notice little bits of fit and finish on Taurus guns to be less than some other models.....yes. I also notice a higher pricetag on those other models. I, too, have read all the horror stories about Taurus. But I also know that because Taurus is more affordable than say Beretta or Sig, more people are going to buy them. A lot of those people that are buying the more affordable Taurus are also first gun owners and less experienced shooters. Sometimes I wonder how many of these "issues" we read about on the internet are real issues and how many of them would not have been issues in the hands of a more experienced shooter.

No disrespect intended to anyone that has had a real problem with a Taurus. I am sure there are some problems. But there are also problems with Kimbers, Sigs, and Hk's. But at half the price of these other manufacturers, there are more Taurus's on the street which equals more precieved issues.

I have owned one Taurus. Bought it probably 10 years ago, a tracker .357 revolver. Never had one single issue with it and it preformed as it should....with any load I put through it. The ONLY reason I got rid of it was because I came accross a Colt that I just HAD to have and I traded the taurus in. I would not hesitate to buy another Taurus if it was a model that I wanted.

I'm sure being new here, I will be starting a flaming war over my opinion....sorry about that. But really, if you like it....can afford it....then why would you NOT buy it.
Old March 12, 2011, 11:46 PM   #12
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Let's talk search function, lots to read through and most of it probably not what you want to hear
I'll save him some time and summarize what he will read right hear. Every Taurus I ever owned had multiple problems. I sent some back multiple times and after months they were returned in the same condition they were sent, broken. In short, avoid Taurus like the plague.

Quote:
If you like it, buy it. With gun prices these days they don't lose much value unless you pay too much to start with. As long as you don't beat it up you should be able to get near what you paid for it if it isn't what you hoped it would be. Win/win, IMO.
Have you ever tried selling a Taurus? That wasn't my experience at all.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:07 AM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

I have a few 9 mm pistols. I also have a couple of Taurus revolvers. I have found they work well for me. I wouldn't care what name is on a pistol so long as it works and is comfortable in my hand. The 909 sounds like it deserves another look. It might be nice to have a smaller version of my Beretta 92 FS. I will have to look to see if they have an INOX version to make them look similar. Thanks for the post.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:59 AM   #14
triumph666

i have never once had a problem with a taurus and i have owned quite a few....the only reason i ever sold any of them was because i turned a real nice profit doing so

Today at a huge firearm auction i let my buddy beat me on a bid for a Taurus stainles 92 and right now i'm seriously regretting it even tho i bought a 92 a week ago(it went for 300$) but i did go home with a customised 1911a1

In my opinion i'd try the new model your interested in and enjoy
Old March 13, 2011, 01:15 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Browning High-Power, CZ-75, SIG P226R.....Love them...

Only issue I have with Taurus is one I HAD, Millennium Pro PT145....

Then : I got mad, sold it for half of what it was worth, cussed to the high heavens and down. They lost me, never again...locked shut, jammed...D. All The Above.
Handled it by getting rid of it....

Today : (If I still had it) I would have DROVE to where they are made, which is where I live, Miami Florida...and had it fixed, run 300+ rounds through it and probably be happy.

It was a great feeling gun, 10+1 of .45ACP..Accessory rail and all.

I've been over the stage of mad at a gun brand for malfunctioning an average of several months to a year.

However if one polymer gun of mine ever blows up in my hand off factory ammo...? Wow I'd lose it.....hasn't happened, hope it never will.

Anyways, YES! I've actually heard good about the PT92 being a really good and reliable firearm. I'm considering one myself....maybe.

Check out IMFDB .org and search "Romeo + Juliet" it's used a lot in that movie
Old March 13, 2011, 01:33 AM   #16
John Fritz

Anyone thinking about a stainless PT92 might want to check this out.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:36 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

John Fritz, bless your heart!

It's a DARN shame I'm paying a 500 for custom work my 1911 right now!

Doesn't say when it ends...Don't want it to either
Old March 13, 2011, 01:39 AM   #18
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
And I'm not saying the CZ's are the best of the lot,,,
Well, heck, I will, then. I'm very much of the opinion that they're the best for their price, anyway.

As far as Taurii go, from what I've seen they seem to be a bit of a roll of the dice. I've never heard bad things about the PT92, but I've heard enough horror stories about the other models that I wouldn't buy one myself. I think the chances are you'll get a good one, you'll love it, and it'll last you many thousands of rounds. But if you get a bad one, woe betide you.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:46 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

FreakGasonlineFight, this is true...although EVERY gun is a hit or miss...Just in MY opinion...It's a higher risk with Taurus. Though I will mention again, I myself also never heard of an issue with the PT92
Old March 13, 2011, 12:47 PM   #20
John Fritz

Constatine, that sale at Larry's Pawn has been going on for awhile now. The way I found out about it was by the guys on TaurusArmed.net talking about the PT1911AL being on sale for $450.00 which is a pretty amazing price.

I would've bought one of those if it didn't have an aluminum frame.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:36 PM   #21
Mike Kerns

Let's talk Taurus

I have a PT911, 9 mm, and have had it for 3 or 4 years. It has been back to Taurus twice for the same thing. The mag release breaks and the mag falls out on the ground while you are shooting. Yes, they have fixed it both times, and yes, there was no charge, except for the inconvenience of shipping both ways and doing without the gun, not to mention the faith I have lost in the gun. Of course trade in isn't anything, so I guess you just keep sending it back.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:39 PM   #22
John Fritz

Mike, how did the mag release break twice? What exactly happened to it?

I just picked up my PT1911SS 9mm last week. I love it.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:34 PM   #23
Amin Parker

Nothing wrong with the Taurus 92s. If i was you ill buy a cz75 and never look back.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:43 PM   #24
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
But at half the price of these other manufacturers, there are more Taurus's on the street which equals more precieved issues.
But... when it does have problems, you're sending that Taurus back on the slow boat to Brazil. Mistakes happen and even the big manufacturers have problems. But Taurus tends to have more problems than most, the customer service is awful and you cannot resell it for much (just check out all the Gunbroker auctions ending with no bids on all those Taurus firearms).

My current list of acceptable manufacturers includes: Ruger, Smith and Wesson, CZ, Sig, Beretta, Glock, Freedom Arms, Kahr, Para, Kimber and Kel-tec. I could add a few more but these are the ones where you will get a quality firearm or they will fix it properly.

My list of "won't wast my time" manufacturers includes: Taurus, Rossi (now owned by Taurus), Charter Arms, Llama. There are also more in this category and some that fit in between the two.

I hate to waste my money, I would not spend it on a Taurus.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #25
John Fritz

Sig - Have not yet returned two phone calls to customer service.

Para Ordnance - Don't even ask. Eight weeks turnaround for any repair regardless of complexity.

Taurus - Prepaid shipping label and three week turnaround with no follow-up required on my part.

My point is that all manufacturers have issues. My personal opinion is that Taurus doesn't deserve all the bad rep they receive from people. Just because someone had a junk Taurus ten years ago does not mean that every gun Taurus has manufactured since then has been junk also.

Tags
9mm , pt909 , s&w , smith & wesson , taurus