The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2017, 12:57 AM   #1
BluRidgDav

Why is Glock still building the 20SF, 21SF, 29SF & 30SF models?

I mean, since the release of Gen 4, what is the purpose of the older Gen 3 SF line of pistols?

Why not buy a Gen 4 model 20, 21, 29 or 30, and then just leave the extra back-straps in the box?

You get the new Gen 4 checkering pattern, new ambidextrous (capable) Gen 4 magazine release,
and before you add an optional back-strap; the grip of a new Gen 4 is the same smaller size as an older Gen 3 SF grip.

Thanx, Dave

Last edited by BluRidgDav; March 25, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old March 25, 2017, 12:58 AM   #2
TruthTellers

Because people still buy them
Old March 25, 2017, 05:16 AM   #3
745SW

I think in markets/states like California Glock only markets the Gen3. Most likely because each model has to be approved, a costly endeavor.
Old March 25, 2017, 05:16 AM   #4
gsparesa

Probably, because you can't buy a Gen 4 in California, unless you are in law enforcement. It's not the cost but the rules to get a new firearm on the roster. Since the technology does not exist to serial number every case the new firearm expels, it is really a way for the liberal democrates to impose a gun ban in the state of California.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 26, 2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Removing intentional misspellings of CA
Old March 25, 2017, 07:39 AM   #5
CDW4ME

I prefer the smaller Gen 3 magazine release.
Old March 25, 2017, 07:45 AM   #6
9x19

I have a model 41, but would have happily bought the same pistol on a Gen 3 frame.

I get along just fine with the SF frames, and all my other Glocks are Gen 3.
Old March 25, 2017, 08:04 AM   #7
JDBerg

I prefer my Gen3 9mm Glocks over the Gen4 versions. I don't see the point in paying that extra $ for an extra factory mag when "IMHO" a Magpul is just as good for $15.99. And why pay for a backstrap kit if you don't use it? I've had my Gen3 17 since 2009, and my latest Gen3 19 for just a few months. I like the rubber Talon grip that I put on my 19, I'm not sure how that would fit on a Gen4 if I had a bigger backstrap on it

Now my Gen4 21 is a different story, I think I shoot this one better with the large beavertail backstrap on it, and that wider slide used to slice the web of my shooting hand every time, until I put that backstrap on
Old March 25, 2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Winterhawk56

I live in California and you can get the gen4SF as I have a Glock 21. The trouble is California charges a premium price and they are still limited supply. Not all GEN4SFs are available. I have found the 20 and 21 available.

I also took mine and bought ZEV Internals! Great shooter. Many other mods, new tritium sight and ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2017, 02:25 PM   #9
burrhead

Yesterday I bought another Gen 3 G21 SF because, being left handed, I much prefer the mag release. The button is small and sticks out so I can easily hit it with my trigger finger. As many left handers will tell you, having the mag release under your trigger finger makes a lot more sense it being under your thumb. Don't have to reposition your grip during mag changes and it's faster all things being equal.

Gen 3 is also cheaper. To me the 4 isn't worth the extra $.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; March 25, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old March 25, 2017, 03:23 PM   #10
gsparesa

Winterhawk, What in the name of the retail store in SoCal where an ordinary citizen can purchase a brand new Gen 4? Not used.
Old March 25, 2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Screwball

Don't think they did a 30S in Gen 4... love mine.
Old March 25, 2017, 08:53 PM   #12
JSMidd

I know this... most of the companies that customize Glocks do so off the Gen3 platform. I don't know why, but they do... and there's a huge market for them.
"Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon...neither I, my brothers, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us removed our clothes, each took his weapon even to the water."
Nehemiah 4
Old March 25, 2017, 09:06 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead
Gen 3 is also cheaper. To me the 4 isn't worth the extra $.
I think the Gen 4's biggest selling point is the recoil reducing dual recoil spring assembly. I shot a G22 Gen 3 and a G35 Gen 4 and the difference was night and day.

The backstraps are also cool for the Gen 4's. The OP has a point, but the fact is that the Gen 3's are established in the market and have such longevity and reliability that they're never going anywhere.
Old March 25, 2017, 10:37 PM   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

All my Glocks are Gen3's---absolutely no interest in Gen4's.
-------Metallica
Old March 25, 2017, 10:39 PM   #15
Model12Win

Lots of bros dig the G3s. G4s... not proven yet to many, and some won't ever have one due to the ejection problems they've had in the past.
Old March 25, 2017, 11:59 PM   #16
BluRidgDav

Thanx for the input, guys!

But, I wasn't trying to start a Gen 3 -vs- Gen 4 debate.

I was curious about Glock's business decision to continue manufacturing the old SF models, when the bare grip size of new Gen 4's is the same.

Thanx, Dave.
Old March 26, 2017, 06:34 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

I think post #2 nailed it. "Because people still buy them." Some buy Gen 3 because that's what they prefer; some buy Gen 3 because Gen 4 hasn't been approved for civilian sale in CA. Regardless, people still buy them and if they're buying them in enough numbers to keep it profitable, Glock will keep making them.
Old March 26, 2017, 06:39 AM   #18
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgDav View Post
But, I wasn't trying to start a Gen 3 -vs- Gen 4 debate.

I was curious about Glock's business decision to continue manufacturing the old SF models, when the bare grip size of new Gen 4's is the same.

The debate ultimately has to do with that...

If people don't want a Gen 4, a .45 or 10mm SF frame is a better choice for them than a Gen 4.

Glock did try to expand their 21 frame options in the same generation... remember the 21 with the 1913 rail? They also did the 21 with an ambidextrous release. Only model that they did it with (could say the RTF was similar, but broader), and never did it again on commercial pistols.

Glock will do these minor changes to meet a contract, as the FBI guns without the finger grooves.
Old March 26, 2017, 02:45 PM   #19
BluRidgDav

Sorry, "Because people still buy them." does not explain this.

If that was true, then Glock would continue to make Gen 3's in all of their other models, too. Which they don't.
They have stopped manufacturing Gen 3's in all of their most popular models in .357 SIG, 9mm and .40 S&W calibers.

The ONLY Gen 3's still in their line-up are the four wide-body SF models that I asked about, and four other narrower .45 ACP/GAP caliber guns: 30S, 36, 38 and 39.

This has something to do with frame size/design of the 10mm & .45 caliber models only, not popularity.

Thanx again, Dave.

Last edited by BluRidgDav; March 26, 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old March 26, 2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Deaf Smith

I find Gen 3 to be so good I still don't see any reason for Gen. 4. The grips never even bothered me.

Deaf
Old March 26, 2017, 04:01 PM   #21
smee78

"Sorry, "Because people still buy them." does not explain this." Why not? Its your opinion that this does not explain it. What do you think it is a big massive conspiracy. They build what sells, if people still buy 3rd gen guns in enough volume to make it profitable then why not. I believe your seeing something that's not there.
Old March 26, 2017, 04:44 PM   #22
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgDav View Post
If that was true, then Glock would continue to make Gen 3's in all of their other models, too. Which they don't.

They have stopped manufacturing Gen 3's in all of their most popular models in .357 SIG, 9mm and .40 S&W calibers.

Really? And you got that info how?

Because the US Glock website still lists the regular models in all calibers, then ones labeled "GEN 4." You show me a 17L Gen 4 (a periodically produced model), then I'll believe you.

In 2013, they discontinued the C models... and was said to do the same with the ones you are talking about in this thread (Gen 3 guns). It wasn't a unsubstantiated story... and you can look up the articles written about it. So, I definitely would like to know your source that Gen 3s are discontinued.

You asked a question and got what most people see as the answer. If that doesn't suffice... go call Glock.
Old March 27, 2017, 05:52 AM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgDav
Sorry, "Because people still buy them." does not explain this.
From a business perspective, yeah, it does. Perhaps more accurately: "Because people still buy them in sufficient numbers to create a profit margin that will keep the stockholders happy."

Quote:
If that was true, then Glock would continue to make Gen 3's in all of their other models, too.
Not unless people were buying them in sufficient numbers to warrant doing so. Even if some of a given model are selling, there's some "floor" number below which it still makes sense to discontinue.

Quote:
....They have stopped manufacturing Gen 3's in all of their most popular models in .357 SIG, 9mm and .40 S&W calibers.

The ONLY Gen 3's still in their line-up are the four wide-body SF models that I asked about, and four other narrower .45 ACP/GAP caliber guns: 30S, 36, 38 and 39...
You must have some inside information unavailable to the rest of us then, because as of today's date, Glock's website lists both Gen 3 and Gen 4 in:
In .357 SIG -- G31, G32 and G33;
In 9mm -- G17, G19, G26 and G34
In .40 -- G22, G23, G27 and G35
Old March 27, 2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
That's completely untrue.

And with USSOCOM, NSWC, and others having specifically adopted the Gen 3 Glock 19, it's unlikely that they will stop manufacturing these for a very long time.
Old March 28, 2017, 12:56 PM   #25
hagar

I'd take a G20SF any day over a Gen 4. I do own one, and an early 1996 Gen 2 G20.