The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 14, 2016, 11:54 PM   #1
FN_Guy

Help Identifying RIA 1903

Hey everyone. I recently acquired a Rock Island Arsenal 1903 with a 4 digit serial number. I have researched a majority of the proofs, but need some additional help on figuring out the rest. The only markings on the stock are two letter P's below the trigger gueard, and 4 numbers right above the magazine. The barrel is dated 7-15 by Springfield Armory and has two letter 'P's" on the underside of the barrel along with one letter 'T'. The bolt has S 29 on the lug and the number 2 underneath the bolt handle. There is also the letter 'R' on the piece that houses the firing pin. Attached are pictures of the rifle, I can provide more if needed. Thanks for all the help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by FN_Guy; December 15, 2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Photos
Old December 15, 2016, 12:14 AM   #2
emcon5

Invalid Attachment specified
Old December 15, 2016, 12:16 AM   #3
FN_Guy

sorry about that, try it now. I should have it fixed.
Old December 15, 2016, 01:17 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Well, two Ps on the barrel and stock and a SA 15 barrel indicate a refurbished rifle.
So does the R (Remington) bolt sleeve and S29 on the safety lug is the steel lot number being used at Springfield in 1907.
The stock without finger grooves is a WWII Remington.
The RIA action is from about 1905.
Kind of covers the gamut from nearly the first to nearly the last 1903, a part at a time.

I don't know what those other stamps mean but the gun has obviously been in and out of every rack in the civilized world.
Old December 15, 2016, 01:39 AM   #5
emcon5

It had a Hatcher Hole added at some point, I believe this was done just prior to WW2.

That may mean it was a Marine Corps rifle, but it is not definite. Some details here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...with-pictures/

You aren't planning on shooting it are you? If so, read the Warning on low numbers Springfields here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/
Old December 16, 2016, 10:30 PM   #6
tahunua001

it's a mix master, and is considered unsafe to shoot. any RIA with a serial lower than 285000 uses the single heat treatment process on the receivers and there's no guarantee that they didn't overcook the metal and make it brittle. some have been known to kaboom and cause injury to the shooter. the bolt sounds like it's a mix of springfield and remington parts, the barrel is probably original to the rifle. the stock is not original. original to standard 1903s should be the straight style with grasping grooves. since yours does not have grasping grooves, it is likely a late WWII replacement stock which was originally intended for the 1903A3.
Old March 24, 2017, 02:51 AM   #7
Ibmikey

The analysis by other members jjust about sums up the rifle, i disagree that is the original barrel and double proof marks suggest being rebuilt twice. As far as the low number receiver is concerned the rifle was rebuilt at a time long after the heat treat issue was known....although there are pages of forum pro's and especially cons about shooting a low number receiver...i have a late model bolt in my RR and shoot a reduced power (thus reduced pressure) load in it and all my 03's....yours looks like a later bolt ( handle bent back slightly) that helps withstand pressure. Shoot at your own risk but probably better to heed the advice of others even though the only basis they may have for their comments is a warrning they heard about or the few documented incidents from fifty to one hundred years ago in print, no mention is made of the untold thousands of rounds that were fired without incident.
Low numbered rifles were used extensively in WWII, one can only guess that they also shot military ammo at that time if in fact the weapon was fired.
Hopefully this does not start pages of "i would not shoot it" as I previously stated " shoot at your own risk" --- I shoot mine with reduced pressure loads, others do not shoot any ammo in theirs.
Old March 24, 2017, 10:50 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am glad that Ibmikey has clarified the safety situation and debunked the old myths. I might well believe him had I not broken a "low number" Springfield receiver into four pieces with a light hammer.

Jim

Tags
1903 springfield , bolt action , rock island arsenal , world war ii