The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 17, 2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Pistoler0

How accurate are ammo manufacturer's claimed MV numbers?

I don't have access to a chronometer, and I am trying to develop DOPE for my 308 bolt action. I have about 500 rds of SMK loaded ammo (Bullets 1st) which is accurate and affordable. They quoted velocity out of an 18" AR-10 barrel which is difficult to extrapolate to my 26" bolt action barrel.

I am also trying to devise a drop chart for an AR-47 that I mostly feed with Tula.

In your experience, how accurate are ammo manufacturer's claimed MV numbers?

I suppose this vary by manufacturer, and in that case I would appreciate your experience with the factory ammo that you are familiar with.
Old September 17, 2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Bart B.

They are very accurate for the barrel, component lots and technique used. The same ammo won't shoot the same speed in other barrels.

Your load will change about 25 fps per inch of the barrel length.
Old September 17, 2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
Your load will change about 25 fps per inch of the barrel length.
Thank you, this is useful info.
Old September 17, 2021, 04:17 PM   #4
Bart B.

Here's some icing on this conversation cake.

Rarely will two people shooting the same rifle and ammo get the same velocity.
Old September 17, 2021, 05:15 PM   #5
jmr40

There have been countess tests done and data posted on the internet where people have measured velocity, cut the barrel down 1" and repeated until they got to the legal minimum. The velocity difference is usually a lot less than most think, especially with common barrel lengths.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...s-with-length/

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/01/308...ld-medal-bthp/

The problem is that even from the same barrel length you will see very different speeds from different barrels. Around 25-50 fps is normal and I've seen some cases where there was 100fps difference between 2 different rifles with barrels the same length.

I have a 308 with a 20" barrel that shoots faster than either of my 22" rifles. And there is 20-30 fps difference between each of the ones with 22" barrels. My 22" Winchester 30-06 is consistently 60-90 fps faster than my 22" Remington 30-06.

Even if you were working with load data for a 26" barrel it wouldn't necessarily be accurate for YOUR 26" barrel.

In your case I'd take the speeds from the 18" barrel and add about 100 fps to it and run the numbers. That should be close enough to get you on paper with your shots. You can tweak things from there.

Winston Churchill
Old September 18, 2021, 01:10 AM   #6
stagpanther

I find quality manufacturer's quotes to be very close, sometimes right on, even if I don't know what barrel they used. Hornady's stuff for example.
Old September 19, 2021, 11:42 AM   #7
Lavan

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html

Whoops seem only handguns. oh well