The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 29, 2018, 01:24 PM   #1
jimsouth

Firearm Finishes

I had a look at an over & under 16 gauge Browning that a friend had refinished with ( I believe ) DuraCoat. Sort of an epoxy finish. Normally, I'd go with professional re-bluing, but the Browning had surface issues, and although still an excellent hunting shotgun, it would never be a collectible. The DuraCoat finish did look nice. How long it will last, I do not know.
Old March 29, 2018, 05:10 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

How long it will last seems to depend mostly on prep. If the prep is done properly they seem to last well. Abrasion/friction points not so much, but on an O/U there aren't all that many places that rub.
Old March 30, 2018, 10:22 AM   #3
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
How long it will last seems to depend mostly on prep. If the prep is done properly they seem to last well. Abrasion/friction points not so much, but on an O/U there aren't all that many places that rub.
The FIL had a SA .380 Beretta that he brought back after WW2 ( war prize paperwork & all ). He deliberately removed the bluing; and don't ask me why. I believe he was considering nickel plating; but never got around to it. Now long gone, but removing the original finish really cut the value. It was a 1939. If it had been a 1937, that was the one most sought after by collectors; or so I've been told.
Old March 30, 2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Lauer Weaponry has a new finish they call Durablue. It's a Duracoat product that is supposed to very closely replicate the look of traditional bluing. I haven't tried it yet, but I expect to do so very soon.
Old March 30, 2018, 03:24 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The FIL had a SA .380 Beretta that he brought back after WW2 ( war prize paperwork & all ). He deliberately removed the bluing; and don't ask me why. I believe he was considering nickel plating; but never got around to it. Now long gone, but removing the original finish really cut the value. It was a 1939. If it had been a 1937, that was the one most sought after by collectors; or so I've been told.
??
Old April 1, 2018, 09:05 AM   #6
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
??
italian army issue model1934 beretta pistol ……rare 1937 ... - Pre98
https://www.pre98.com/.../italian-ar...re-1937-dated-...
Old April 1, 2018, 09:04 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Are you going to duracote the pistol? Did he duracote the pistol? I'm not seeing the tie-in.
Old April 1, 2018, 09:12 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

The black finish on the slide on my Hi Power "Practical" seems very heavy.....it was made in 1994 and has held up to lots of shooting.

I prefer rust bluing but it's easily scratched and flash rusted.....stainless is probably best but I haven't tried any Cerokoats.
Old April 2, 2018, 07:49 AM   #9
KEYBEAR

I have a Ruger Blackhawk three screw in 44 Mag . Two years ago I had it Coated with Duracoat in a shop that does a lot of firearm coating . I went with a gloss black as the firearm was going to be my every day shooter . The finish lasted six months and looked very bad so I had a local shop redo it . That has been a year and a half ago it still looks good . This old Ruger has shot a lot of lead and only the front and side of the cylinder shows loss of coating . I clean the Ruger once a week in the summer and use brake cleaner . This Handgun is just a tool but still looks good .
Old April 15, 2018, 07:45 AM   #10
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR View Post
I have a Ruger Blackhawk three screw in 44 Mag . Two years ago I had it Coated with Duracoat in a shop that does a lot of firearm coating . I went with a gloss black as the firearm was going to be my every day shooter . The finish lasted six months and looked very bad so I had a local shop redo it . That has been a year and a half ago it still looks good . This old Ruger has shot a lot of lead and only the front and side of the cylinder shows loss of coating . I clean the Ruger once a week in the summer and use brake cleaner . This Handgun is just a tool but still looks good .
I always clean with original Liquid Wrench.
Old April 16, 2018, 04:32 PM   #11
TrueBlue711

Quote:
How long it will last seems to depend mostly on prep.
Exactly this. Duracoat is a great firearm finish and will last a long time, but depends on who did it and how well they prepped the surface. If the guy had it professionally Duracoated, then it should last you a good while. But if he did it himself in the garage, you don't know how well he prepped the surface. The reason why professionally done vs done in the garage is better is because they prep the surface (usually) with a bead blaster and giant solvent baths for best surface prep work. Not many people have those in their garage.

I'm not saying all Duracoat work done from garages are bad, it's just a gamble. I personally Duracoat a lot of my own guns. Pain in the butt, but I sand everything down by hand since I do not have a bead blaster. Some of my guns I Duracoated a few years ago have minor wear and tear, which doesn't bother me personally.

All that being said, if you plan on refinishing that Browning again, go with Cerakote. Probably the best firearm finish there is out there.
Old April 16, 2018, 04:39 PM   #12
FITASC

I'm just trying to picture a Duracoated Browning O/U......................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa