The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 2, 2009, 03:44 AM   #1
skeeter

GunBrokers Buyers Protection meant nothing for me

I bought a Python that turned out to be defective and had totally mis-matched stocks. It was listed on GunBroker as "like new in box,flawless" and to me that is dishonest. A "like new in box, flawless" Python for $1325 should work. It cost me $196 to have Colt fix it and I sent all the bills to GunBroker. Gunbroker says they will protect bidders from;1. not getting a item shipped to them and 2. getting an item that is materially different than advertised. It seems to me that being defective is materially different than advertised.
Their $500 Buyers Protection policy was rejected because, "This claim does not meet the requirement for reimbursement", so much for protecting this buyer. Of course the seller, cue7467, took no responsibility and said there was nothing he could do. I am sure he did not know about the mechanical defect because the gun had to be fired to experience that but unless he was blind he knew the grips were totally mis-matched.He offered to replace them for $75 but when I took him up on that he never returned any of my e-mails.
Guess this case is now closed but it should be a lesson to others that if a seller does not take a credit card; you have no protection and it can be a sign that is what the seller wants.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Moving to Retail Deals & Feedback forum.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 7, 2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removal of response of "New" rule violation
Old July 3, 2009, 02:25 AM   #3
skeeter

The gun has been fixed by Colt for a total cost of $196 plus i figure another $125-$150 for factory grips. So I figure this gun cost me $1700. I just recently sold my unfired truly new in box Python for $2000 figuring that the minute I shot it it would no longer be unfired and lose a lot of value. I thought I could sell it for what I got and buy a shooter for $1100 to $1200 and get to keep $800 or re-invest in another gun. Had i known what I was in for I would have kept my Python and used it. It just was too nice to shoot and the buyer also said he was not going to shoot it but pass it down to his son.
I really hope this has been a lesson for others when buying a gun sight unseen. It also would not have been a problem if I used a credit card.
I was just a little disappointed that GunBroker did not honor their word in protecting bidders with their "Buyers Protection".

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 7, 2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: removal of response to "New" rule violator's post