The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2013, 05:36 AM   #1
traumac

Sig P938 SPORT model?

I finally found a friend with a P938 to try at the range, overall liked the feel in my hand. So of course, I am shopping, hoping wife doesn't realize until I get it.

I have seen some "Sport" models, less expensive than the others out there. Called Sig Customer Svc and they told me it is discontinued (would not elaborate). It has rubber grip, comes with two mags. Admittedly might be older and need an extractor tune up but...

Anyone have advice on whether to go with one of these, or stick with the current models only.

As always, appreciate the sage advice
Old May 4, 2013, 06:35 AM   #2
weblance

Older? Thev have been out... what? 6 months? I have the Sig P238 Two-tone, rubber grip, Sig laser, Tritium night sights and extended magazine. It was $479 new. I see Sig has the same package for the P938 priced at $579 new. The other model P938s are a couple hundred dollars more. I say buy it. I really want to...
Old May 4, 2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Technosavant

Sig goes through model variants like my dog through Beggin' Strips.

Their warranty will be just as good for a discontinued model as it would be for one that came off the assembly line yesterday. My P938 (don't know what they call it, it's complete Nitron finish, Hogue rubber grips) has been 100% from day one. I'd have no problem recommending them... even the discontinued models at a slightly lower price.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
redhologram

Shop around if you have any options. Otherwise, Sig stands behind their products. But I got my p938, new, rosewood grips, less than 2 months ago for somewhere in the $650 or so range. But be sure to go get yourself the extended mags. I've got 3 ~ 7 rd mags for my 938 and 2 ~ 7 rd mags for my 238. I like them much better. Makes ease and speed of changing them out better.