The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Nathan

Trim-It II vs WFT 2 vs

I have a WFT in 223. It works great. The cut is nice and clean. I debur the I’d and I’d, but only a few cases need this. I would be done here, but have added 300 BO and 30-06 to my high volume reloading....ok, so I should look at a

So, I was thinking about going to the WFT 2. It looks like a fine tool, but it costs puts me in the $200 range with the 3 calibers and setting trim depth can be a bit of a pain. Plus, I might want to go more calibers, if the price and setup are right.

At that price, I would like to try a tri-way trimmer for multiple calibers. So, the Trim-It II seems like it does it all. Am I missing something? It is a triway cutter, with easy adjustment, it has a “micrometer” body adjustment, multi-caliber.....so, the problem is there is little review info on it.i can find 2-3 positive reviews and 1-2 negative reviews. I’m guessing somebody here owns one.. do you use it? Like it? Tips or tricks?

POSITIVE REVIEW

Now, if you are a Giraud owner, I know you will be tempted to post on this. Please refrain, unless you can articulate why the Giraud is better...also, remember, we are targeting $200 MAX to trim 3-4 calibers.
Old January 5, 2019, 03:42 PM   #2
RC20

Ok, good thread a bit back and I am both a Giraud owner and a Trim it II.

3 calibers is going to run $300+ with the Tri Trimmer, so maybe a non starter. There are bonuses but.......

Issue with WFT is it does not tri trim, I had one and its a really nice tool. As I mass process brass (well in batch of 200 to 300) I am after speed where I can find it.

Trim it II is a bugger to set up. It works and it works well, but it has 5 Allen wrenches to adjust 5 different functions. As mine was not setup at the factory for the oddball 7.5 Swiss I shoot (I appreciated they had it and Giraud does not nor will) - it took my hours of playing with it to get it where it matched the Girarud.

For me its a one off buy, far too much time to change calibers with that one just to repeat it all going back.

Tri Trimmer is great for limited calibers, once you have 5, then you have reached the trade off of getting their motorized setup which is like $30 a change and does it quickly as I recall.

Frankly I like the way I did both Trim It and Tri. I have some arthritis developing in and my hands don't like that hand drill and holding the case.

I got out my old Milwaukee metal case drill, turned it upside down in a my vice and clamped it in, used the hold down trigger and off I go. I have as good a setup as the Girraud motorized out of stuff I had. It does not take up bench space as I have a hook to hang it on (I used my cordless drill for almost everything drill wise as the 18/20 volt Dewalts do all I need)

I can process 300 rounds in under 30 minutes (more like 25)

For the needed in and out (if you even mess with it) the Trim Trimmer has one hex (nice it uses one the size from the FIVE of the TI II ) and you are done (unless you change the blad or need to adjust that.

Tri Comes with a case done to the right setup.

I set mine to cut a bit more off the end as I anneal every 5 times and I do get a few cases that over grow. Its an easy adjustment.

WFT still does not tri trim and while hunting quantity cases would be no issue, doing a lot of target then is two more steps to chamfer and deburr.

Trim It II is worth it if Giraud does not make the type you need.

WFT and variants are nice for hunting but procession larger groups no.

I will just add Tri Trimmers as I do more calibers as I am on the edge and I have two already, unless I sold them it would be a waste to buy the $400 Giraud mortised and the 3 to 4 sizes I use).

A bonus is my vice and the chair I use are at a good relationship ergonomic wise so I am comfortable while doing it. Old crank backs appreciate that part!

If you keep growing calibers and bench space is not an issue (or you can set aside easily) then investing in the Motorized Giraud is a good way to go though its money up front vs a little at a time. Caliber changes is quick and easy.

The Drill setup clamped in a vice does it the same for all 3 so that is a bonus. Its also solid and exactly where I want it for comfort and with that I can process all 300 with no issue.

All those darned trade offs!

Last edited by RC20; January 5, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old January 5, 2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Nathan

Thanks. Are the Giraud cutter and Trim-it cutter the same? They really look the same....

Also, if the Giraud tritrimmer needed setup each time like the motorized unit, wouldn’t it be as hard as the Trim-It??
Old January 5, 2019, 05:52 PM   #4
RC20

Something is different I think, the Giraud only offers limited calibers of the Tri Trimmer. I have never taken my Tri apart and compared it to my brothers setup.

No, on the setup. The Trimit II has 5 difference adjustments. The Giraud has (now I have to go look) no more than 3 (two). So if you changed it between say 30-06 and 270, you would spend some time fiddling with Giraurd, a lot more with TT II.

I don't think its worth it not to mention in my case 308 has a different shoulder so that has to at least have the insert.

In my case (pun) could afford the individual ones. I am not sorry I got to gest the TTII, the TT I was not so good, it does work the same or very close to WFT and Giraud.

I just don't have time nor the patience to do the fiddly stuff repeatedly. Ok with the TT II as its once I have it right its done deal and no more.

I suspect anyone would get frustrated. I did not have the WFT II so no idea how easy that one is.
Old January 5, 2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Nathan

I don’t have the Trim-It II, so forgive my ignorance...

Don’t you...
1) Insert case holder to full depth and tighten.
2) adjust body to long side and tighten set screw.
3) put case in body and get trimmer close to it...within meh 0.02”.
4) adjust blade to match case mouth.
5) adjust body to trim a bit.
6) confirm chamfer on ID & OD...Adjust as needed
7) check length...adjust using micrometer body

Is that right? I’m sure it takes a bit., but usually I’m setting up for 200 to 1000.

I too think it odd that it uses 5 Allen wrench sizes...but that is an issue with std screws and picking just the right size fo each spot. I agree more mature designs have 1 or 2 sizes and adjust the design to hold the threads properly. A small complaint, I suppose.

That was my only complaint with the WFT. It is a poke and hope scenario! Even a just right case won’t work as the cutter digs in and will make the setup 0.001” or so short!
Old January 5, 2019, 07:22 PM   #6
RC20

From the bottom up:

.001 is fine, I see .003 variation, if its to trim length not an issue and I set them for another .005 less (that avoids a re-trim before I anneal and then I just run all of the through the trimmer without measuring)

Its been two years since I setup the Trim it II, don't remember, it was a lengthy go and the Giraud with its preset if you want a bit more off you just adjust the length a bit and you are fine.

It sounds the same, the only difference I think is the TT II tighten things up as they had some wobble in the shoulder bearing.

Its not super precise, but having hand trimmed cases those are not either without a lot of measuring.

Its a touch situation if you are budge limited as the best way to go is the Giraurd motorized. I did sell my WFT for the used price I paid for it so I could probably shift over to the Giraud.

I am not adding calibers very fast either. Maybe two in the next few years and then that likely it. So for $200 and some change I can get two more Giraud.

I do load 270 for family hunting gun so might add that one and we are up to....

My bother may have that adapter for the motorized and enough 270 cases to drop and do a bunch and fine as we..

All that stuff running around in your head.....................
Old January 6, 2019, 09:05 AM   #7
locknloader

I have a giraud for 223 and I have a Lyman kit that hooks up to a drill for multiple sizes (https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Product.../dp/B00AU6C7MI).

After using both of these (low end vs high end) here are my take always...

If you are doing high volume on a consistent basis, the giraud (or any trimmer that cuts, chamfers, deburrs in one step) is a tremendous time saver. I can process a ton of cases in short order in the giraud, usually I have to stop because my fingers start getting sore from doing so man cases.

The Lyman works great, just more time consuming. You have to chuck each case into the holder thing, feed the pilot bit into the case and fiddle it around a little until the pin goes into the flash hole, then when you are done trimming you have to chamfer and deburr manually. This takes wayyyyyyy longer.

I personally use the Lyman for 308 because I shoot that in pretty low volume so I don’t need the speed when processing the brass. 223 is cheap and fun to blast a ton off at the range so to me speed is very important there and it was worth the cost of the giraud, I waited a few months to buy it because of how expensive it was but now that I have it I would consider it worth what I paid.

My 2 cents.
Old February 2, 2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Nathan

Trim-it ii ordered 12/31
Received 2/2
It’s a long story..

Looks good...more to come.

Last edited by Nathan; February 3, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old February 3, 2019, 12:45 PM   #9
RC20

Once you get it setup I think you will like it (them). Cost vs sweat equity as it working of the box as it were.

There may be a few swear words about not getting the Tri Trimmer though (grin)
Old February 17, 2019, 10:26 PM   #10
Nathan

Well, got the Trim-it II into service tonight. I used it to trim about 300 30’06 for my M1 Garand. Trimming accuracy has not been measured yet, but it seems like it is following my fl sizing variation.

It took me about 30 min to setup the first time after figuring out what all the set screws did. After it was all setup, it took some experimenting with the drill to figure out ideal rpm and feed speed. After that, things went pretty smooth.

My only struggle was that the cutter shaft to body set screw came loose and I lost all adjustment. This cost me 2 cases. After a reset, it worked again and I finished up. I wonder if this setting should lock with a clinch locknut like a Hornady die lock ring.....something more solid.

The triway cutter is great, but much less smooth than an end mill. I guess that is worth it to be done in one operation. It look like the same cutter as the Giraud....and honestly, without the jack screw, I’m not sure how you could consistently setup us the cutter.

The micrometer adjust works pretty good for setup.....set it up long and then adjust it down to perfect. By doing this, I lost 0 cases due to setup.

It is faster than WFT + power deburring.

I sure wish they had a better way to lock down settings other than set screws.

Last edited by Nathan; February 18, 2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:51 AM   #11
RC20

Mine once set never moved so good.

The nice thing about the Gerard is fewer settings and a done case. All I did on that was move the trim to more so I could match my trim cycle to my anneal cycle (5 firings)

I thought the Gerard was well worth the higher cost. Its a tad tighter but not enough to matter.
Old February 22, 2019, 05:03 PM   #12
Nathan

I thought this was interesting about the Trim-it II....the sd for trim length(base to mouth) in my first round was 0.0019”....not bad....the fl size sd(base to datum) for those same cases was also 0.0019”! Wow! Seems like the trim length is close to 0 variation since all the variation can be traced back to sizing!
Old February 24, 2019, 04:02 PM   #13
RC20

My take on Trim It II (the I had serious issues) is that its a good but too complicated tool.

Gerard is simpler and comes pre set for the cartridge (with a sample).

I really don't care about any variations (small in either case pun intended)

I cut them shorter than spec and then I just recut them when I anneal and it works out fine, I don't have to bother with in between as I over cut a bit.

So in essence its the Fram thing. You can pay me now (pre setup and simpler) or you can spend your time latter (Trim it II) doing it yourself.

Finished quality is about the same though I don't get to excited about it.

As noted, I appreciate that TTII had it in 7.5 x 55 that Gerard did not.

My brother bought the Gerard motorized unit. It took some hand pain but I figured out I could chuck them into a corded drill and clamp it in a vice and I had the same thing.

In this case (more pun) I found that my setup worked better for me than his. The motorized unit had to be on a flats surface . Chucking my setup into the drill is as good as the Gerard motorized but I can adjust it to do left or right as my hand tires and I have a stool that site nicely in front of it to work with comfortably (my back gets unhappy just standing in one place) - not sure I could setup the Gerard Motorized to do that.

Its a shame that the WFT does not tri trim, its a nice tool but you have one or two steps more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench Drill III.jpg (105.8 KB, 19 views)
Old February 24, 2019, 05:52 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

People with more money than time to spend just get separate cutter heads for the motorized Giraud and set them up once and leave them adjusted rather than fiddle with adjusting every trim session.

Note that Giraud lists the 7.5×55 for their motorized unit; just not for the Tri-Way.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 24, 2019, 09:07 PM   #15
RC20

Yeas my brother does that.

I might have gone motorized if I had known how many calibers I was going to shoot!

But the drill setup works so well for me I am going to stick with it.

Ergonomics work really good for me and thats a big help. Getting old is not for sissies.