The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 4, 2018, 08:41 AM   #26
peterg7

S&W, Glock, Ruger.

Carry guns
G23
Shield9
LCP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 4, 2018, 02:02 PM   #27
KyJim

You asked for "brand" and not a particular gun. I shoot my 1911s the most and I have at least nine from Dan Wesson. So, I'm saying I shoot guns from Dan Wessons the most.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:07 PM   #28
SIGSHR

Lately my Browning HP and Colt Mark IV with Ciener Conversion Units.
Old September 4, 2018, 03:02 PM   #29
rock185

Others rotate, but for the last several months the American version of the SIG P210 has been going with me on my trips to the local range. This is a pistol I was prepared to dislike,i.e., being of US manufacture and not Swiss or German. But so far, haven't been able to come up with anything to gripe about from the standpoint of fit, finish, trigger, reliability or accuracy.

PzGren, If I had one of those Korth revolvers, I'd probably be throwing rocks at any of my current guns Those are beauties!
Old September 4, 2018, 03:49 PM   #30
RickB

All the shooting I do is competition, so my guns have to fit within a game's rule set, while at the same time being a gun I like.
I've been shooting, and carrying a SIG P938, as it's a great carry gun and it fits within IDPA's Back-Up Gun rules.
Similarly, I bought a four-inch S&W .45 revolver, as it fits IDPA's revolver rules.
It's not really about brand.

For many years, about the only gun I shot was a custom Caspian 1911, built to USPSA Limited 10 specs, and I put 50,000 rounds through it, but haven't taken it to the range in years.
Old September 4, 2018, 04:37 PM   #31
TailGator

My EDC is a Glock, so I shoot it for practice. Berettas for pleasure.
Old September 4, 2018, 06:21 PM   #32
Rangerrich99

Up until fairly recently I brought a triplet of Rugers to the range more often than not. Plus a couple 1911s. Sometime last year I made the switch to a brace of S&Ws, in particular a Shield9, M&P9C 2.0, and a M&P40c 2.0.

Still bring the 1911s; they're just more accurate and fun than any other semis I own/shoot. And I've been trying to make sure that at least some of my time at the range is purely about fun. Keeps things interesting.
Old September 4, 2018, 06:30 PM   #33
Corona

I usually bring three for a session. More often than not, it’s my Bersa Thunder 22 that gets the nod over the Ruger 22/45. The Bersa isn’t as inherently accurate at the 22/45 but it’s fun to shoot.

Similarly, I bring my Bersa 380. Same size, same ergos and pretty accurate. I love these pistols.

Also, my Ruger Security 9 rounds out the three gun shoot. Feels good in the hand, really like the trigger and it’s accurate enough for me. Honestly, it’s a great bargain.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:02 PM   #34
Eazyeach

S&W hands down. 2 of my carry guns are S&W. A shield and 2.0 compact. Use a model 66 around the farm and I plink with a M&P 15-22 all the time. Not really a fan boy per se , it just worked out that way.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:31 PM   #35
reddog81

S&W I guess. I picked up a 929 late last year and proabbaly have 2,000 rounds or more through it since then. I just got a 460 XVR and have brought that out the last couple of times also. Being able to shoot a 285 grain SWC at 1500 FPS with minimal recoil is addicting.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:57 PM   #36
Geezerbiker

I tend to shoot my revolvers more because the older I get, the less I like picking up brass...

Tony
Old September 4, 2018, 11:34 PM   #37
rep1954

A Tactical Solutions PacLite upper shortened to 3 1/2” on top of a Volquartsen 1911 Target Frame. It’s just a great combo for a 22lr and surprisingly accurate for it’s barrel length. Different guns go to the range with me weekly but this always goe’s. Inside 25 yards forgive the pun, it’s a blast.
Old September 5, 2018, 11:23 AM   #38
M88

Not counting the WW1 and 2 military rifles like my Garands, Enfields and Nagants, I have 25 different brands of handguns, rifles and shotguns. Shoot the most? No particular brand... I shoot the most enjoyable "fun" guns the most. Browning 1911-380... Chiappa Rhino 60DS 357... Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt... Mossberg MVP 5.56... Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creed... Ruger PC Carbine 9mm... M1 Garand 30-06... and one of the most pleasurable rifles ever due to how it "feels"... the whole package, my M1903A3 in 30-06.

Obviously, a collection of guns includes many that fill a niche in the collection, but are just not that enjoyable to shoot. To small (NAA Black Widow), painful (Ruger SP101 357), feels a bit awkward (FN Five-seveN) etc. So they stay in the gun safe unless you're showing them to somebody.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:23 PM   #39
peacefulgary

My Glock 43 because it's my everyday carry handgun.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:45 PM   #40
PushPuller

Like most I own several different brands.

Out of my handgun collection my CZs definitely get used the most. One or both of them goes EVERY weekly range trip. When shooting with the family its generally a Colt day on those days.
Old September 6, 2018, 03:36 PM   #41
unclejack37

My EDC, Beretta nano 9mm, then I also take my Ruger Mark III, or Ruger black Hawk. That's what I take most of the time to the range. Sometimes I take my RIA 1911 in 9mm or my Ruger Police 6 in 357 and 38 special. That's all range stuff. I also own 80 some acres in South Carolina between Clemson and the Georgia line. I shoot a lot of steel there, so I could be carrying almost anything and sometimes everything I own, 9mm 357, 22, 25, 223, 7.62 and lets not forget the Tannerite. That stuff is fun
Old September 6, 2018, 07:12 PM   #42
PzGren

Quote:
Others rotate, but for the last several months the American version of the SIG P210 has been going with me on my trips to the local range. This is a pistol I was prepared to dislike,i.e., being of US manufacture and not Swiss or German. But so far, haven't been able to come up with anything to gripe about from the standpoint of fit, finish, trigger, reliability or accuracy.

PzGren, If I had one of those Korth revolvers, I'd probably be throwing rocks at any of my current guns Those are beauties!
Thanks Rock,

I have a Swiss P210-6 that I like and have shot extensively but the Korths are indeed very nice to shoot and since I have many of them, they do keep me busy shooting and caring for them. That American P210 is a great gun from everything that I heard so far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P210-4n210-6.jpg (114.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by PzGren; September 6, 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:14 PM   #43
Kvon2

Between my SW, FNH, Heritage(rough rider), and pietta 1960 clone, the heritage gets the most use because it will shoot the cheapest dirtiest ammo I can find. Second would be my FNX40 because its my HD gun and I love the ergonomics.
Old September 7, 2018, 05:37 PM   #44
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
You Own Several Different Gun Brands, So Which Brand Gets Range Use Most Often & Why?
I missed the part about "why?" in my first response, so I thought I'd give my reasoning here. When I was younger I seemed to be able to switch from one pattern to another without much thought. For instance, when I was in my early twenties I either carried a model 19 or a 1911 most of the time and had no difficulty with handling or shooting either no matter how used to one or the other I became.

Then a few years ago things began to change for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line was that I found it took me some time to get comfortable with a revolver after spending several weeks carrying a semi or vice versa. Or carrying one of my DA/SA pistols after carrying one of my 1911s for awhile.

I decided that it was just easier to become very familiar with one platform/pattern. Originally I wanted to get a brace of SIGs to cover all my bases, but in the end I found that I wasn't completely comfortable with the DA/SA configuration, and that in the full-size versions the SIG grip was just a bit too large for my hands. And for my defensive purposes I decided that was unacceptable. I had the same kinds of issues with the Glocks I sampled.

That led me down a long path of trying to find another pattern gun that fit my needs, which ended up with the S&W M&P series eventually winning out over Ruger. Like the Sig or Glock, the M&P series is very modular, so going from one caliber or size to another is a matter of adjusting to only felt recoil impulses and nothing more. All controls, grip feel/size, etc., are identical so I don't have to remember anything extra going from gun to gun to gun.

I also like the fact that my M&Ps are so reliable when it comes to ammo selection. They'll eat anything, whether it be manufactured rounds (target or SD) or my reloads, without issue. My Glock 19 g4 is decidedly more picky, especially about my reloads, and I'm not excited about buying rounds for a single gun.

Anyway, since at least half of my time at the pistol range is taken up by shooting SD drills, most of the time at least a couple of my M&Ps get tossed in the bag. Consequently, since switching to this "one pattern" philosophy, I've found that my overall skill level has risen significantly, as well as my confidence level with any of my SD pistols.

But like I said, I make it point to just have some fun at the range, so at least one 1911 always makes the trip, and every other trip my .357 or .44 mag, because it's just fun to run a good 1911, like driving a Porshe roadster, or touching off some hot mag loads, because who doesn't like blowing things up and big fireballs now and again.
Old September 8, 2018, 09:42 AM   #45
Charlie98

That's sort of a circular question. I carry a Kahr, so it gets shot every time I'm at the range, so I guess that would check that box. As far as the rest of the pistols... I probably shoot them as much... equally... as any of them. I don't have any safe queens... so they all get fired. If we were to split hairs, I guess I fire my 1911's more than any of them, and my .22 Buckmarks the least.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old September 8, 2018, 11:03 AM   #46
kenny53

I shoot a number of handguns. I guess my favorite is the Ruger MK II, my least favorite is the Ruger New Model Single Six. Love to shoot the 1911 and any of the 9mms.
Old September 9, 2018, 11:10 PM   #47
jstert

ruger single six or heritage roughrider with 22lr cylinder to clean up all the odds and ends ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2018, 10:12 AM   #48
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Whatever I will be carrying gets the most time but then there will usually also be a "I haven't shot this for awhile ..." candidate as well.
That's me. Mostly Glock unless I'm carrying 1911s, then Dan Wesson.

The rest get much less range time and I prefer to use my limited range time to focus on my CCW.
Old September 10, 2018, 10:20 AM   #49
FindANewSlant

I only own 1 gun right now (Howa Model 1500 in .308, her name is Helen), so that one.

I hope to buy A) a ruger AR-556 B) a mossberg 500 hunting 12 gauge and C) a ruger 10/22 takedown within the next year or so and plan on practicing on each of them regularly, though the AR-556 and the 10/22 will probably end up being used the most due to cost of ammunition and relative fun shooting.
Old September 12, 2018, 05:00 PM   #50
Dragon breath

My favorite guns to shoot are a Canik S-120 ( all steel Cz 75 clone ) and a original S&W model 66. Followed closely by a Cz P-09. The ergonomics of the Canik and the Cz are just about perfect for me. I grew up shooting S&W revolvers, so the 66 feels like a old comfortable pair of shoes.