The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1
'75Scout

Scattergun Technologies 870

Does anybody have one? Which model? Was it worth the price as compared to a factory Remington 870 18" HD model with extended mag for $299.

The Scattergun technologies 870s are my dream shotguns and I would love to have one, but its a lot of dough to shell out. The Springfield M1A w/walnut stock is my dream rifle. I know I have expensive taste.
Old September 27, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2
9mmMike

If I were in the market to over-spend on an 870, I would buy a factory police gun from Remington.

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870.htm

I have a gaggle of 870's, all purchased used or built from stripped receivers.
This was a way cheaper route and I have guns that are as "built to taste" as you can get.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 27, 2005, 01:08 PM   #3
ReconDoc242

I have a scattergun remington 870 boderpatrol model and it is worth every penny. The breacher on my old team while I was still in the service recommedned it. I my humble opinion it is simple as perfect as a shotgun can be.
-doc
Old September 27, 2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Taffnevy

I got one slightly used for $375. It's actually the only 870 I've ever held or fired so I really couldn't tell you the difference.

Could anyone chime in as to what they do to modify it, and what makes one worth $800+ new?
Old September 27, 2005, 09:38 PM   #5
'75Scout

I believe it says exactly what they do on the Wilson Combat. I know they make various tactical improvements. Sights(Night front and Ghost ring rear), enlarged saftey, new armor-coat finish, surefire forearm (which costs $285 alone for cheapest model), sling, sidesaddel. Mechanical upgrades also take place. I'd say for the parts added its not a bad deal, but I just wanted to know if it is actaully worth it. Maybe not for me b/c its for HD, not being used in LE/Military.
Old September 28, 2005, 12:32 AM   #6
hags

870p

I wouldn't waste my time or money with the Scattergun shotgun.
Go for a Remington 870P model. I own an 870P and it's a first rate quality combat shotgun. Scattergun builds their shotguns with an 870 express as the base. You don't get the metal trigger guard, you don't get the metal safety, and the 870P has a drop proof safety. The express uses MIM internals including the extractor. You also don't get the heavy barrel.
Considering the BorderPatrol model is about twice the price of an 870P, depending on the model, it shouldn't be a difficult choice.
Old September 28, 2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

I don't have one because I don't think they are worth the money. I've seen them, and worked on them for other folks but I can do better on my own. If you are at all handy you can do it yourself with a good used 870 police gun or Wingmaster (even a good older Express model) and spend the difference on something else like ammo.

But if you want the feeling of spending money like a government purchasing agent, by all means go ahead...

lpl/nc (you will have to install your own big- head safety anyway if you want one, unless Wilson has changed their policy on that- they will ship it in the case for you to handle on your own...)
Old September 28, 2005, 07:23 PM   #8
sm

Lee Lapin's Post
+1

And we didn't even mention the BETTER patterns / groups from a bone stock 870 with aftermarket choke(s) that outshot the Vang's and STs...

"Oh this old thang...just a old bird gun...honest". *snicker*
Old September 29, 2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Nnobby45

Two Scattergun Tech's

I have two Scattergun Tech shotguns. One is custom built from scratch on the Express and is as fine a shotgun as I've seen and smoother than any I've encountered. I wouldn't want it any smoother. It falls open by it'self, already! You can check Wilson's site if you want to see the specs.

Yes, Wilson/Scattergun Tech's are expensive. Old retired guys like me can afford a few extravaganzas. I have no regrets.

The other is a Wingmaster that I supplied and I had it built to Border Patrol Specifications. It's a fine shotgun, just as it was when I sent it to them. It now has a Speedfeed stock and fore-end, 6 rd side saddle, tac sling, 2 rd ext, TrackLock 2 ghost rings with tritium front, Armour Tuff finish and so forth. I wish theyd polished up the barrel and smoothed things out a little more, like the Custom. Things were a little rough just ahead of the forcing cone. Even so, it doesn't seem to accumulate lead (from slugs) any worse. Mostly a cosmetic blemish for those who like to look inside the bore a lot. I had a little talk with Wilson and they did apologize and offered to take it back and polish it up right. I declined. It's my grab and go gun for outdoors. The Custom Built (Standard Model) came cyl bore, 18.5".

They put an IC 18" on the Border Patrol and would probably put one on the Standard Model (Custom built) if you asked them. Federals new FliteControl wad in their LE 132-00 9 pellet or 133-00 8 pellet loads make chokes obsolete. Same with Hornady TAP. Wads open up after they leave the muzzle--the load controls the pattern. Like 7-9" at 25 yds. 4" at 15yds. Fed. uses plated shot. TAP is lead.

It is smooth enough to hit a target (albeit close) 5 times in .99 seconds. Not bad for an 870 and an old geezer like me. The timer starts on the first shot, you have almost a full second for the next four. Took me about 6 trys to get under 1 sec. Normal is about 1.25 sec. That's with the less smooth Border Patrol, and I know some of you are faster than that.

Not to get off topic, but it would be interesting to know how fast some of you have timed yourselves. Any 870 man knows you can't dry fire as fast as you can actually shoot, since the recoil actually runs the slide (well, you help a little bit Fed. LE Tactical slugs and buckshot work slick as a whistle in both guns.

I'd say to '75Scout--go for it. The Custom was my dream gun, too. Now I have one. (I did remove the sidesaddle for HD). The SureFire adds enough weight. You can also order a plug from SureFire so you can remove the light and not worry about digging it up outdoors. You can change back and forth real quick.

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 29, 2005 at 04:14 AM. Reason: more better grammar
Old September 29, 2005, 09:31 AM   #10
9mmMike

Quote:
And we didn't even mention the BETTER patterns / groups from a bone stock 870 with aftermarket choke(s) that outshot the Vang's and STs...
While I do not doubt this, I prefer a fixed choke SG. I have a Vang barrel on one of my 870's. I have a home-grown (Allem's Gun Craft is local) back-bored and "coned" barrel on another. Performance is not too dissimilar but the Vang is a skosh tighter.

I also like the fact that I can get full-choke patterns from a barrel through which I can safely shoot slugs.

To each his own but I still like to build my own. They're just too dang fun when you're a tinkerer.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 2, 2005, 08:54 AM   #11
Nanuk

You may guess where I work, When I was in patrol I carried the "Border Patrol" model. All of the ones I saw said "Police Magnum" on the side, not "express". The first one we had were before wilson owned the company. Those of us in the Patrol saw these as one of the best purchases Uncle Sam ever made. They came with 14" barrels, 5 shot tubes, and night sights. Ours have metal trigger guards, the newer one "Wilson" ones may have plastic but I have only shot one of the new ones once. They pattern fine for a combat shotgun, being that 15-25 yards was the max range for buckshot. They also shoot slugs nice due to the ghost ring sights. My personal preference on a SG is a bead sight, I feel that the ghost ring covers to much.
Old October 2, 2005, 10:25 AM   #12
GunsnRovers

I went my own way with my 870.

Used Sacramento PD 870
Forcing cone lengthened
Hogue short LOP rear stock
Mepolight front bead
Wilsons +1 extension
Mac's Shootin Irons refinish (gun kote over parkerizing)

Later I added a Surefire picatinny forearm and LaRue light.

I'm into the whole package for just under $850 including the light. The light and forearm cost just about as must as the gun itself.

With Federal & Hornady 8 pellet reduced 00 loads, I'm getting awesome groups out to 25 yards.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old October 2, 2005, 04:52 PM   #13
liliysdad

The old Scatterrgun Tech and the new one owned by Wilson arent quite the same.

The old ones were based on Police model guns, and were well worth the money. They were also considerably less expensive than the current one. When Wilson took control of Scattergun Tech, they really dropped the ball, IMO. The base gun is now the Express, and the price skyrocketed. They aslo ceased work onany gun but the 870. Wehn Scattergun was its own entity, they did work on 1100s, 11-87s, and Mossbergs.

If its and old one, go for it. If not, Id skip it.
Old October 2, 2005, 09:33 PM   #14
hags

870p MAX

Just go for the ultimate and get the 870P MAX. You can check it out here.
http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870pmax.htm
At just $690 wholesale you should be able to pick one up for around $800-$850.
IMHO the Scattergun shotguns arent' worth the money.
Old October 5, 2005, 05:38 PM   #15
TAckerman

I have an "Original" Scatter Gun Tech. Border Patrol with the Vang Comp System and Vang Comp Porting. The trigger Gaurd is metal as is the oversized safety.

I bought it used for $800.00, and then added the Vang Comp work for $260.00 more. It had had no wear marks on the mag tube, and the action wasn't burnished at all. Pretty much "unfired". I know I paid too much for it, but the market was bearing the rediculous prices Wilson has set for the newer SGT's. Oh well...I love this Shotgun!
Old October 5, 2005, 05:53 PM   #16
gordo b.

I'm with Guns and Rovers
If I was gonna spend good $$$ again, I'd go with Robar for sure. At least you get real Craftsmaen doing real gunslicking and applying the best finishs in the industry.I'd do it on a wingmaster or Pd model from the late 60s thru middle 80s as a base. Don't worry about condition ,when Robar gets done with it it is better than new. He cuts butt stocks/barrels real nice and does the best sight systems. Buy/bolt on the tubes , sidesaddles and forearms and stocks yourself like a real man (or Woman) and the money you save -buy ammo.
Old October 5, 2005, 06:58 PM   #17
rellascout

I own a 870P got it for about $275 used. Great shot gun. I could trick it out 7 ways to Sunday and never pay as much as the they want for the Standard model.

If you are looking for something trickout right out of the box i have heard good things about the FN Tatical Police Shotgun based on the Winny 1300.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_tactical.htm

You can get them for $600 OTD