The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2019, 04:47 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Not to the copper, past the copper... to the actual steel. The reason you see the copper up top is because I didn't go that far down up there as there's no engagement that high up. Below it is all bare steel.
That's even worse. The plating is harder, slicker and more corrosion resistant than the underlying steel. That's why it's there.

At least the copper strike coat offers some minimal corrosion protection for the steel--though not as good as the original plating. Once you go through it all the way to the steel, you lose even that.

I've watched some of Johnny Glock's videos and he gets some things right. But if he's advocating that the plating be removed during a trigger job, that's clearly one thing he's getting very wrong. That's disappointingly bad advice.

Just to be clear, let me repeat that the polishing did NOT cause the failure. That's a separate issue.
Old January 12, 2019, 05:00 PM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm clearly not a metallurgist, but I have to admit that the pic looks like there was a bubble in that part.
Old January 13, 2019, 08:29 AM   #28
RSKENT

Is this a common break?

Could this actually fire the pistol?
Old January 13, 2019, 02:56 PM   #29
Uncle Malice

Definitely not common. I don't know about causing the gun to fire. I wouldn't think it would be able to generate enough inertia to ignite after breaking lose.... but that would be crazy.
Old January 13, 2019, 04:44 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

The firing pin safety would still prevent the gun from firing since it blocks the firing pin up near the front of the firing pin.
Old January 15, 2019, 07:19 PM   #31
presspics

Parts break...I'm not a Glock fan but I'm not going to bash them..it happens..
Old January 15, 2019, 07:47 PM   #32
JDBerg

OP, this past Saturday, I had my own 19x gone over by an excellent Glock armorer, including the striker, and if you’re continuing to do excessive dry-firing without a snap cap then you should probably keep a spare striker assembly handy for the possibility that you might break another one again. Or start using snap caps.
Old January 16, 2019, 12:38 AM   #33
Uncle Malice

I'm not too worried about it. The striker breaking in that place was absolutely not caused by dry firing....it was a flaw in the metal. My normal gen4 19 has probably 20k+ dry fires on it... NEVER with snap caps. My gen4 26 is probably around 7500 dry fires, never seen a snap cap.

With all of that said, I'll be moving all of mine over to actual forged tool steel strikers instead of the OEM MIM ones... once that's done, I will have spare strikers on hand - of course, I will likely never need them.
Old January 16, 2019, 12:40 AM   #34
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Parts break...I'm not a Glock fan but I'm not going to bash them..it happens..
I wasn't going to bash them about the breakage, either. There was obviously a flaw in it, but they couldn't have known that. My complaint is that they weaseled their way out of a warranty replacement because it had been polished - where the break is obviously not from the polishing.

Just shoddy customer service is all. Not turning me away from Glocks, because I can always get the parts elsewhere.
Old January 16, 2019, 01:22 AM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The striker breaking in that place was absolutely not caused by dry firing....it was a flaw in the metal.
I agree. Although I can't see the flaw in the pictures, there's not nearly enough stress on the part to cause that kind of damage.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:08 AM   #36
tangolima

Dry firing a striker fire pistol with snap cap is a pain. There is no external hammer to cock. You will have to work the slide and probably ejecting the snap cap each time.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2019, 03:19 PM   #37
tipoc

Quote:
Dry firing a striker fire pistol with snap cap is a pain. There is no external hammer to cock. You will have to work the slide and probably ejecting the snap cap each time.
Naw, just retract the slide enough to reset the trigger.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 16, 2019, 03:22 PM   #38
TunnelRat

So I do use snap caps and I do retract the slide slightly. I don't think snap caps would have stopped this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2019, 03:26 PM   #39
tipoc

No, like others have said dry firing had nothing to do with this incident. It was a flawed part.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 16, 2019, 04:04 PM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

I can attest to Uncle Malice's dry firing numbers.

If you speak to him on the phone or in a video chat when you're trying to work on a pistol you hear *rack* *thunk* *rack* *thunk* LOL

And I agree that the dry firing in no way should ever break the striker in that end of the striker.

However, I still use snap caps for everything. Especially Glock. Slight rack it to engage the trigger.

What's a pain is dry practice with a DA/SA gun and snap caps. Try getting the reset in SA on that one.
Old January 18, 2019, 08:57 AM   #41
USNRet93

Shoddy customer service or SOP?..What the OP saw was very common with just about every other 'thing'...Do a engine chip job on yer car? Do an aftermarket exhaust/valve job on your motorcycle? Add ceramic bearings to your bike wheel? Add cutter blades rather than fishing line to your lawn edger?
Yes, it would have been nice for Glock to just replace the thing but pretty sure warranty='defects in manufacturing'..once modified/changed...all bets are off. IMHO.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 18, 2019, 06:30 PM   #42
stephen426

It's pretty stupid of them not to send you a replacement part that probably costs them a few bucks at best. My guess would be it absolves them of liability. I guess they don't want people modifying their guns since it is already perfect in their eyes. LOL
Old January 20, 2019, 08:39 AM   #43
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
It's pretty stupid of them not to send you a replacement part that probably costs them a few bucks at best. My guess would be it absolves them of liability. I guess they don't want people modifying their guns since it is already perfect in their eyes. LOL
Copy to ‘why I don’t like Glock’ thread...so, you do something similar to your Sig/Taurus/M&P/H&K/Ruger/blah blah and the striker breaks...do ya suppose they will all just send a new striker or do a freebie warranty job on their modified pistol?
Maybe not...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 20, 2019, 09:05 AM   #44
TunnelRat

Yay.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 20, 2019 at 09:15 AM.