The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 2, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
oldkim

Shooting on the move practice events near Seattle, WA

For those interested in shooting on the move, using one's holster and just having fun near the Seattle area (Renton, WA).

I am a NRA Certified Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer that conduct practice shoots for Concealed Pistol License holders or those that are interested in the competition sections of pistol shooting. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assocation) or USPSA (United States Practical Shooting Association or aka IPSC).

www.idpa.com
www.uspsa.com

I hold practice events at Renton Fish and Game Club (RFGC) in the Renton Highlands.

www.rfgc.org

These events are offered as a "bridge" to those that are newer to shooting to those more experienced but have not explored shooting on the move. I called these shoots "Shooting Like the Good Old Days" since I remember going as a youngster to a dirt pit and blasting away with my brother. Although you can still go out to those far far places I find the drive to daunting and far. What I have set up here at Renton Fish and Game Club, which is about 30 minutes East from Seattle, is to use the "Action Bays" to teach and develop beginning to advanced pistol shooting techniques and to further the action sports of pistol shooting.

The events are centered around a core group of Safety Officers (SO) that volunteer their time and expertise. Randy and Christian have been with me since the beginning. I have now incorporated IDPA and USPSA SO's and their expertise in shooting the competition aspects. Again, these events are for practice, low stress and high fun factor. No prizes or awards but simple bragging rights and good memories.

I only hold a few of these every few month but I am working on getting them more frequently.

The first step to getting further information is to contact me so I can add you to my email list.

Please send me your email, full name, contact number and a brief history of your shooting experience (what classes or what you shot or how much you have been shooting).

Ammo
I recommend having at least 300 rounds (6 boxes) of ammo if not more. Yes, start stocking up when you can. Plan on shooting it all as the shoots goes pretty quickly. You control how much and how fast you shoot so ultimately it all depends on you.

Holster
A good holster is needed, please keep in mind cross draw, shoulder holsters or small of back are not allowed. We stress safety first so the muzzle control becomes the issue regarding these holsters. Muzzle needs to be pointed down or relatively down.

Safety First
Please know that above all else safety is key. We do stress safety first and then fun a close second. Muzzle control, Finger on Trigger and treating all guns as though it was loaded. The range is a COLD Range: which means that all holstered firearms will have the magazine removed and go through a clearing safety check to ensure the chamber is empty. So, no magazine or loaded guns unless you are shooting.

Shooting on the move
For those that have been shooting at a regular range, shooting on the move is exponentially more fun and difficult. Learning to shoot on the move is like relearning how to shoot all over again. Do know we take babysteps to develop these skills so you'll be in very good hands.

Membership and Cost
RFGC is open to the public but I do offer discounts for members.
I typically charge $25 for non members and $5 for members.
To just shoot at RFGC is $10 for the rifle and pistol section for non members (free for members).
I typically hold these events from 10am - 2pm.

NEXT SHOOT: TBA

Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
RFGC Member
IDPA Member

Please do not PM. Send email since I can't check this site when at work.

NRA Safety Rules

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Watch the video as it gives an overview of firearm safety.

http://www.usashooting.com/getStarted.php

Selecting a pistol for woman

http://www.ehow.com/how_4702234_choose- ... women.html

What I focus on are the three fundamentals of GRIP, SIGHT PICTURE and TRIGGER CONTROL

GRIP
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/a ... th-2.shtml

SIGHT PICTURE
http://www.bing.com/search?q=pistol+Sig ... =QBRE&qs=n

TRIGGER CONTROL
http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframeriz ... rigger.htm

SHOOTING ON THE MOVE
Todd Jarrett - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYvMpT ... 11&index=7
Army Pro Tip - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHDgmWO ... 11&index=6

HOW TO SHOOT
Todd Jarrett - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl ... 11&index=8Young Kim, NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
NRA Life Member, NRA Range Safety Officer
RFGC and IDPA Member

"Shoot Safely, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport"
Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old September 3, 2009, 11:51 PM   #2
golfnutrlv

oldkim,

I might be inerested in getting involved. I didn't see your email in the post, but send me an email at the address below, and I will email you back.

Im in Spokane, but could easily come over for a little practice/training. Its kind of hard to find places to train such as what you have around here. There are a few, but your arrangement sounds great!!

Please send me an email at your convenience.

Randell Vansant
[email protected]

Thanks so much...
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old September 4, 2009, 01:35 AM   #3
oldkim

My email

Please send all emails to [email protected]

When I cut and pasted I lost my email on the post.

I'm not aware of any "practice sessions" you can attend for $25 ($5 for members) anywhere in the US. But I will say I haven't looked that hard lately. Just keep in mind I'm not doing this to make money. Actually, I don't make any money - the fee goes to the club. All the other safety officers are volunteers too. No one get's "paid" nor is this in conjunction with a training school. This is for "average joes" to be able to shoot in ways most ranges will not allow simply due to the cost and liability. Since we have qualified volunteer staff and a club that is willing to allow me to conduct these types of shoots I figured it would be a win - win for everyone. I usually have anywhere from 30-45 shooters at each event. I try to limit the size so the safety officers/shooter ratio is safe.

I'm fortunate in many ways (life and work) and I like to share my enjoyment of my primary hobby of shooting.

Thanks,
Young

Randell
I have sent you an email too.

Old September 13, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
oldkim

If you're sitting on the fence....

So anyone considering to come. Just pre-register so I know who is coming and I can send you updates.

The rule for no same day shooters is because I simply do not have the time to go over the intent of the shoot while getting all the stuff ready for the shooters I have registered. Also for the shooters to be prepared to have enough ammo and right gear, right mind set, just so they know ahead of time.

There is no cost to register - when registered I have your name, email, contact and brief history so I know you have a basic understanding of gun handling. This does not mean I expect you to know what a cold range is and how to "act" with a holstered gun. We'll take care of all the basics.

This is not a competition. For anyone that has been.....

If you are shooting at a regular range and if you are getting bored - this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you are looking into IDPA or USPSA - the action shooting side ... this is the shoot you want to try out.
If you carry and just need practice with your conceal or open carry gear... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to have fun shooting again... this is the shoot you want.
If you just want to meet like minded folks (gun people)... this is the shoot.

It's all self paced with lots of help if you need it. We try to focus on safety and having a great time. Come join us!

Young

[email protected]

PS I just recieved a nice donation from Dev owner of Dino's Greek and Italian Restaurant which I'll be giving away at the end of the shoot.

17642 1st Ave S
Burien, WA 98148-1729
(206) 246-1332

They offer 15% off for Opencarry.org members