The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2017, 10:17 AM   #1
Oldjarhead

Crossbreed Super tuck- Combat cut or not?

Does the combat cut really help, or is the standard cut ok, and more comfortable?
Old October 14, 2017, 10:28 AM   #2
HiBC

I don't have either.I have been reading the web pages because I'm interested.

Maybe the regular cut could be more comfortable.It covers a little more of your skin.
The Combat cut removes some backing to make it easier to get your fingers around the grip.
Old October 14, 2017, 10:47 AM   #3
pax

What I've seen -- long time firearms instructor here, also worked as the editor of Concealed Carry Magazine for 4 years before moving on -- is that
  • the standard cut interferes with a good, safe, efficient draw because it is almost impossible for most users to get their thumb into a solid grip on the gun while it is in the holster (which leads to slowness and some unsafe fumbling), but
  • the combat cut eventually folds over so you have a 'shark fin' that flops down to cover the holster when you want to put the gun away.

Of the two, I consider the combat cut preferable because it is possible to safely draw the gun and put it away even after the shark fin starts flopping. Learning to do so takes some very deliberate practice and care, but it is quite doable.

If the flopping bothers you but you like the look and feel of a hybrid holster, the Galco King Tuk (which is an obvious copy of the SuperTuck) uses a slightly thicker backing for more structure. It's still very comfortable.

Hope this helps.

pax
Old October 14, 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Louca

I got the combat cut on my Supertuck and I really like it. When I grip for a draw, my hand stays in the same position from purchase to the shot. I have never tried a regular cut Supertuck, but I am pretty sure my middle finger would not be able to wrap around the pistol during purchase and I would mostly draw the pistol with a thumb and last two fingers.

Get the combat cut.

Pax mentions flapping of the leather on a combat cut. I respect her long term experience, but I almost cannot imagine a Supertuck doing that with the thickness of leather they use. On my holster, when the pistol is holstered, it pretty much keeps the leather from bending at all, let alone flapping.

Last edited by Louca; October 14, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old October 20, 2017, 04:14 PM   #5
MagnumWill

I would vote get the standard cut... if you don’t like it, you’re fully capable of removing material.

I have the Supertuck with the normal cut for a Colt New Agent, and I’m not encountering the same problems some of the other guys have proposed.

Again, you can always take leather off... can’t put it back on. Not making the combat cut also keeps the gun from digging into your skin and keeping sweat away from it.