The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2017, 07:37 PM   #1
keithdog

glock 17 vs 19 size? quick question

Hello, I am posting this on my fathers account, as I have occasionally done. Anyway, I cannot find an answer online, and short of going to the store and holding them, this is a quick easy way to find out. I understand the 19 is a smaller version of the 17. I have somewhat smaller hands (not [I]very small[I] but not at all large) and was curious if the grip/backstraps on the 19 are smaller than on the 17, or if its just barrel length etc that is smaller. For someone with smaller hands, would I be wise to look elsewhere than a glock for a high capacity full size gun? What pistols might fit the ticket for me if I do well with a slightly smaller grip but still desire the longer barrel and higher capacity of a full size?
Walther Creed looks promising at a fair price.
PS nothing crazy expensive. I don't care about bells and whistles. Reliability is more important to me.
PSS I have a glock 42 right now. It is my only pistol. I like it very much, it's great for concealed carry, but I would like something a tad bit beefier and in 9mm for home defense or TEOTWAWKI. Not looking for another carry piece.
Ok so the question isn't as quick as I thought it would be lol.
But you get the idea. Thoughts? Feelings? Criticisms of my thought process (there always is)?
Old October 8, 2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

Shorter grip, shorter slide/barrel. I think I would consider the grip adapters the same size (even though the 17's are longer), but the "hump" at the bottom of the grip is what makes it feel different to me. I have a 26 and a 19 and the 19 feels better because the "hump" on the 26 makes it feel bigger to me than the 19. The 17 fits my hand slightly better but I would still rather have the 19. YMMV.
Old October 8, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Sharkbite

A Smith &Wesson M&P with the small adaptor is noticably smaller then a G19

A G19 without a backstrap (or a Gen3) fits my hand perfectly. The small backstrap on my M&P is too small
Old October 8, 2017, 08:36 PM   #4
sakata8242

The way the Glock backstrap is contoured, the "Glock hump" will sit differently in your hand if you compare the 17 and 19. For me, I don't shoot the 17 well at all because of how the geometry changes from the 17 to 19. The 19 fits my medium sized hands better.

I moved away from Glocks and found that the HK P30 series of pistols fit my hand the best so far. When I take my Glocks out of the safe now, they feel like bricks in my hand.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:57 PM   #5
VoodooMountain

All glock 9mm/40 have same size grip frame . Only the length differs. The hump thickness are identical however some people find the subcompact version fits best as the hump ends up in the palm of the hand because the grip handle is so short.

The 17/19/34-22/23/35- 31/32 will fit identical to each other in your hand.

Mp 2.0 with small grip is the smallest grip on a double stack gun I have ever used. The 4 modules let you tailor it to get it just right.

I bought a 2.0 last week and it is a Very good pistol.
Gen 4 glock without backstrap also works very well for small-average size hands.

In my eyes those 2 are your best options in striker fired poly world for a myriad of reason which I won't get into in this thread.

Eaa witness or any cz75 also has a thinner grip but the platform isn't exactly apples to apples.

I absolutely refuse to recommend an xd however they have a slim grip with a 1911 style grip angle.

Last edited by VoodooMountain; October 8, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:05 PM   #6
tipoc

Post #4 summed it up well. There is no difference in the circumference of the grips between the 17 and the 19. But because of the different lengths of the grip frame they do feel a bit different in the hand.

So keep trying things out. There have been some good suggestions.

tipoc
Old October 9, 2017, 05:20 AM   #7
Chui

glock 17 vs 19 size? quick question

Also, look at the CZ P10C. It has a thin grip and slight palm swells.

The Beretta APX should also be looked closely at.

There is also the H&K P2000 (LEM variant).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 9, 2017, 05:49 AM   #8
smee78

Best bet is to go to a well stocked dealer and start putting guns in your hand. Its the only true way to know how they will feel in your hand.
But like it was mentioned, the 17 VS 19 is about a 1/2 inch length on the barrel and about 1/2 inch on the grip length.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Doc Holliday 1950

Keith,
I have a slightly smaller than the average hand size and picked the G19
over the G17 for that very reason. When my G19 arrived I did not change the back strap and the 19 fit my hands perfectly. I hope this helps I then bought the G43.
This too fit my hands perfectly. No adjustments there either. Hand size & hand strength are most important in picking the right revolver/pistol IMHO. These were some of the primary reasons for buying my Glocks. Don't buy what's the ' COOL" weapon. Get what fits your hands the best and has what you want & what you shoot the best always.

Doc
Old October 10, 2017, 12:44 PM   #10
JDBerg

I have a Gen3 17 and a Gen3 19 and these are both excellent, reliable and accurate service pistols. I practice with them both a lot and I think I shoot both very well. These are both keepers, I could not choose one over the other, but my Gen5 choice will be a 19 with factory NS.
Old October 10, 2017, 04:57 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

OP, get thee to a range and shoot some pistols to see what fits your hands! My hands are on the "smallish side of medium," and the Gen 4 G19 with no backstrap fits them well. The M&P Shield also fits well. One brand that I haven't seen mentioned (or perhaps overlooked) is Kahr. I think they make a couple of single-stack handguns in the mid-sized range that might be worth a look. Maybe the K9 or the P9?
Old October 11, 2017, 02:43 AM   #12
Ibmikey

Spats McGee Is pretty much on the issue you (OP) need to try the suggested pistols on for size, how do they feel ? Point? Have comfortable controls? Like new shoes, Once you try them on for size it is time for a walk (range) .
Fire the weapons you have chosen to suit your needs and make your decision at that point.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:16 PM   #13
keithdog

Thank you gents this is good advice. I do not have much money and will not be getting anything soon, and that is all the more reason to ask and plan well ahead so that I do not end up with buyers remorse after having saved up for months.
Thank you all.
Thread closed.
Old October 13, 2017, 10:42 PM   #14
otasan

Gen 4 G19s have interchangeable backstraps that change the grip diameter.
Old October 14, 2017, 06:50 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog
Thank you gents this is good advice. I do not have much money and will not be getting anything soon, and that is all the more reason to ask and plan well ahead so that I do not end up with buyers remorse after having saved up for months.
Thank you all.
keithdog, I get that. I really do. I loathe buyer's remorse. You may not have much money, but a trip to the range might help clarify your preferences here. Even better, got any friends that will let you shoot their pistols for free? (Though some offer of payment should be made and would undoubtedly be appreciated.)
Old October 17, 2017, 11:36 AM   #16
otasan

Glock 17

I am sending my G17 back to GlockGA on 25Oct2017. It has a broken striker and striker housing. Too much dry-firing, I suppose.