The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Sabre9mm

wiped supressors

As my last post stated, I just got rolling for a 9mm Poseidon from Thompson machine.

I was originally going to hang it on my XDM, but heard some cautions against it, and bought a G17 and a storm lake barrel instead to dedicate to this suppressor.

Having never owned one like this before, I have a question concerning one of the advertised features, and that is that both the front and rear wipes are not perforated until a round is fired, and that the unit can therefore be used to store an ablative until used without it leaking out either end.

That means that technically I am firing a handgun with a plugged barrel at least the first time, that concerns me greatly, should it?

According to the manufacturer it is designed to work that way, any fellows out there done this and or words of caution? Or is the neoprene simply supple enough under those conditions to be a moot point?
Old May 14, 2015, 12:19 PM   #2
precision_shooter

The neoprene wipe should not offer any significant amount of resistance to cause any overpressure/blowing up the can concerns. Will basically be like shooting a piece of thick paper with the muzzle rested against the paper.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 14, 2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Remember, when shooting a can "wet" you dont fill the can up. Just squirt 5cc's into the baffles. I use a medical syringe. Easy to carry and fill
Old May 14, 2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Sabre9mm

As for the 5cc, is that specific to this device, or an in general value?

likewise I would assume that the placement inside the can is of little relevance considering the turbulence inside it has got to be hell on earth when it fires, Id est, no matter where I put it it will move where it wants to when I fire?

I would assume the only exception would be if it was directly in the line of fire it would be expelled before being useful?...

I would say squirt in a measure, give it a shake and let the rest work itself out, sound about right?

Since you mention the paper as well, I have watched several videos and disassembles of this device, and the wipes are always just randomly shredded like you would anticipate something like that to be when a bullet rips through it, would any precut patterns or like an * shape, or a small center hole change anything about the performance to make it remotely worth it?

The feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old May 14, 2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Sharkbite

Ive used 5cc in my fullsize Octane45, my "mini" AAC Ti-rant 9s and my 22lr Warlock.

Those have wildly varying internal volumes. Seems to work on all of them just fine
Old May 14, 2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Machineguntony

Wouldn't wipes cause the bullet to lose a bit of stability and thereby create inaccuracy?

What is the advantage to using wipes?
Old May 14, 2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Sabre9mm

Excellent, the more information I have the better, I have been scouring the internet for every nugget of information I may acquire to educate myself more on this topic.

I work hard, play hard, and this is an exciting new field I want to get the most of, plus it will make my next one (because you know there will have to be a next one) a more informed purchase.

I am going to try and get my hands on a Gen2 Sub2000 to swap back and forth with this one too, because that thing was already quiet compared to the hand gun, and I bet this is the perfect device for it.
Old May 16, 2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

I would not buy a wiped suppressor.

The super small pistol cans are a possible exception but I have passed on DeGroat Nano at a discounted price two times now...

Those wiped super small cans (Poseidon, Nano) are only good for a few shots. I guess if I was going to carry a suppressed gun, one of those cans would be a good choice. I like a lot of internal volume for my pistol suppressors.
Old May 18, 2015, 02:02 PM   #9
Sabre9mm

Brooks from Thompson machine just responded to me.
He said in the newer versions that the wipe is only forward, no more rear one in the latest design of the Poseidon. And that since the bullet has exited the barrel before impact with the otherwise sealed chamber of the suppressor, it should be of no consequence.

I asked if pre cutting the baffles would reduce the random tearing of the first round, he said it was no problem (not sure if that means it will work, or just will not cause problems) will let you guys know what works best when I get it

This will be the longest shooting toy wait of my life...