The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 19, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
7Cedars

High Standard Sport King

I have an old High Standard Sport King rifle that is in great shape except for one thing, the firing pin broke. This was the first rifle that my grandparents gave me (age 12) and it holds significant sentimental value for me. I remember growing up putting thousands of rounds through it whether it be shooting cans, pine cones or squirrels.

This rifle has been in my safe for about 10 years and I haven't found a great source for getting another part. Truth be told I haven't looked real hard either. But my question is in regards to why the firing pin broke. I have a lot of firearms and I have never had a firing pin break in half like this one did. Was this just a defective part, or is there something wrong with my gun? I know that these aren't the best firearms around and its pretty old, so maybe just fatigue? Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks!

Also if anyone knows of a good place to get another firing pin, I'd appreciate it.
Old June 19, 2014, 01:12 PM   #2
TATER

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/H.htm
Old June 19, 2014, 03:11 PM   #3
7Cedars

Is this a normal thing that can happen with this type of firearm? Should I be concerned?
Old June 19, 2014, 03:26 PM   #4
gyvel

Is this a normal thing that can happen with this type of firearm? Should I be concerned?

It can and does happen to almost every firearm ever made. In your case the part may have work hardened from excess dry firing, or maybe was improperly heat treated and hardened too much when it was produced.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Here is the specific part and link: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/426740B.htm

It's only $14.10
Old June 21, 2014, 09:49 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

The firing pin, and/or the extractor is the most likely part to fail (break) in many gun designs. Even those made to the highest standards (hehehe) can, and do break from time to time.

Dry firing some guns will also hasten the process. A firing pin that goes thousands of rounds over decades and then breaks isn't "defective" it just failed. It happens.

Now, if you replace the pin, and it breaks in fairly short order (round count), THEN you have an issue with the gun (or possibly what you are doing with the gun).

High Standards were pretty good guns, generally. Their pistols were good to very good, and their long guns were ok, although aimed more at the budget market than the ones from REM/WIN etc.

If you are getting the replacement pin, get two. if you can, get a couple of extractors, too. One to fix the gun with, the other to keep for the "next" time.

I say this, because if it happened once, it can happen again, even if it is decades or more later. And if it does break on your grandson, the parts available NOW might not be, THEN.

Put the spares away somewhere safe (a hollow under the buttplate works for some guns). Just ensure when the time comes, the next generation of owner knows its there, and why.