The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Old 454

Is the shortage dying down ?

I was able to get Winchester 3k small pistol primers today and 2k Large pistol at my LGS.

Some powders I havn't seen in awhile like Trail Boss, but they said they expect to get some next thursday.

I have been seeing plenty of H110, W296, Varget, BLC2, WST, Power Pistol, HP-38, some Unique, AA#5.

Last edited by Old 454; June 7, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2
arch308

Must be nice. The shelves are pretty bare around here still.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:53 PM   #3
rg1

Doesn't seem to be getting better fast. One local shop had a good selection of CCI primers but not Remington. Most popular powders can't be found locally. Shops that do have a few boxes of popular bullets in 22 and 30 calibers limit customers to only one box. You can't find popular powders or bullets anywhere on the internet. Prices have jumped in most cases especially locally. I don't see it getting better for a good while, like a YEAR, that is if there's no other bad news. A local shop said he'd ordered 375 pounds of powder and only received less than 25 pounds. Maybe it's a regional issue of who is getting restocked first? Depressing to have your hobby disrupted.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Hammerhead

There is some powder around here, but no Trail Boss, Universal, Unique, 2400,...
No .22lr ammo, no handgun or SR primers.
Funny thing is there's plenty of .223 ammo. Wasn't the initial panic over .223 ammo?
Old June 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
lamarw

Berry's is showing a few more available bullets than in the last few months. There are even some 230 gr. 45's in the available column.

I think I read where May sales of firearms might of dropped a tad.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Shortage easing? Maybe--

The other day there was a good selection of Remington primers at the local Sportsmans. Tonight Gamaliel had some IMR 4198---ordered a few pounds. The Hazardous Shipping charge is a pain, but considering that the best time of year to shoot is right now, it is worth it to go ahead and stock up. Till tonight I thought I might not be able to enjoy the summer.

We may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Farmland

I have had no problems getting supplies. In the past month I have been able to by 4.000 - 233 bullets, 500 -280 bullets, 2,000 -380,9mm,40&45 bullets. I have bought 4,000 Rem 7 1/2 BR Primers, 1,000 lg pistol and 1,000 lg rifle. I have bought 8 lbs of RL7, 3 pounds of RL10 and 5 Pounds of Win Auto Comp gunpowder.

This was only what I needed for the year, I still have enough other bullets, primers and powder so I only bought what I needed.

Most of it was bought from three different internet sites and just a small portion form the local Stores.

So IMHO there has been no problems getting what I needed.

Last edited by Farmland; June 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
math teacher

In the northwest the shelves are bare of powder and primers and there is a very poor selection of bullets at Sportmans, Sportco, Cabalas, and Fisherman's Marine. The stuff goes within two hours if anything come in. The only powder available is for muzzle loaders. For those of us who live over a hundred miles from any of these stores, it is almost impossible to be there at the right time. The last time I was in Sportco there was a line up of over 50 people at customer service to purchase from a new order of 22LR.
Old June 7, 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Swampman1

Quote:
Funny thing is there's plenty of .223 ammo. Wasn't the initial panic over .223 ammo?
The panick was immediate and covered ALL aspects of the firearm industry. From handguns to rifles...from 22 LR, all the way up to 45 cal and beyond. Very little was unaffected. But I will never believe that this shortage is based only on panick buying. There is much more to it.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:46 PM   #10
AllenJ

The shelves here in CA are still pretty bare. It has gotten some better but we have farther to go than we've came in my opinion.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:46 PM   #11
603Country

There was plenty of ammo of all types in Academy (Waco) today, but the local reloading store is pretty depleted. Maybe better than it was a couple months ago. It's a hit or miss situation around here.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Nathan

Central OH report:
Well, the panic has shaped up different here than I thought. The shotshell panic never got to the point that stores were completely empty of shotshell ammo. It was full inventory by ~late February, I would say.

Rifle Ammo looked restock to me in mid April.

Pistol ammo has looked pretty good in May.

Primers are still not in stock for more than a few days at a time, unless they are $50 - $60 per 1000.

Actually, that is my biggest issue I see lately. Sure, 9mm can be bought, but $35 for 50? Really?

So, what can be bought is becoming more expensive by 1.5 - 2 times normal. I suppose this will change when online retailers get caught up.

I sure wish Powder Valley had some of what I need. . .
Old June 7, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
serf 'rett

Still running short in our area unless you want to pay some inflated prices. I can’t bring myself to pay $50.00 for 1K primers or $0.60/round for factory .223 Rem that cost around $0.38 each six months ago. Hardest to find is bulk pack .22.

While I have been able to pick up some components lately, I think it’s more connected to watching and checking local stores and internet suppliers on a regular basis (could say daily) and is less due to increased supply.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:45 PM   #14
hodaka

Powder Valley had some Tula primers for an hour or so today. I ordered 6K of SP and LR. They are mostly gone now.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Old 454

hmmm sounds like its hit or miss in diffrent areas.

When I ask at my LGS after I bought my primers they said they had another shipment of 25k primers coming in next week along with powder.

I was also able to get a 750 round case of 5.45x39 for 225.00 plus tax

Who knows all this they are getting may have been on back order and they are just now getting it.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:37 PM   #16
bamiller

Not here.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #17
deepcreek

I have been seeing pallets of 223 and 7.62x39 in the last couple of weeks, 2mo ago you would not see that(unless a mob was buying it). Also racks are full of guns again. around the Denver area.
Old June 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Garycw

In SW Ohio lots of guns in the LGS. Pistols, rifles, even Ak's & AR's. not much problem finding all calibers except .22 ammo. I never thought I'd see .22 dry up like this, but I never thought I'd have to pay for a drink of water or air either.
Old June 7, 2013, 08:41 PM   #19
ChasingWhitetail91

2 boxes of some 9mm is all I seen at Walmart the other day ( aside from assorted shotgun loads none of which were slugs).
Old June 7, 2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingWhitetail91 View Post
2 boxes of some 9mm is all I seen at Walmart the other day ( aside from assorted shotgun loads none of which were slugs).
I have up on Walmart months ago. LGS is for me the best bets
Old June 7, 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Huskerguy

Seems to go in cycles her in central Kansas. I could get primers for $26 a 1,000 in a case lot for several months and now nothing. Bullets (what I am looking for anyway) are nonexistent. Powder started showing up everywhere. I picked up two 8lb jugs of 4335 and some Titegroup in 1 lb jugs for 17.50 - 20 bucks and have plenty and all of a sudden I run across a 4 ;b jug for 70. Rats! In the middle of that I wanted to start working up some W231 loads and found a lb here and there and found a bargain on 8 lbs of W231. Now I don't seem much of the W231/HP38 around, still no bullets, primers dried up but some other powders are showing up all over around here. I do see a bunch of Hornady V Max in 55 grain for $15 a thousand.
Absolutely NO ammo on walmart shelves. Did see a little 22 in a coupe of gun shops. 223 is showing up in gun shops in decent quantities although I don't need any.

So for me it is a mixed bag. Good one week/month for one thing and bad for another. I really don't "need" anything but then again when I go to a gun shop I always say there isn't anything I need but lots I want.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Silver00LT

Here the scalpers are waking up and realizing that there is no more profit anymore as people are being educated.

Hoarders though that are selfish and not leave any for the person behind them though...well that is another story.

Online though I am seeing Cabela's, etc carry reloading components IN stock.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:34 PM   #23
TXGunNut

It's early yet, most supplies will be on the shelves within 60-90 days. Don't feed the scalpers!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 7, 2013, 11:22 PM   #24
Misssissippi Dave

Some things are starting to trickle in from time to time. I think it might be several months before you can just go into a normally well stocked shop and select what you want. It may take even longer for the big on line places to start stocking reasonable amounts again. Most of the people making bullets are way behind. Starline still doesn't have much in the way of brass yet. Yep, it's going to be a while longer. It's like this recovery I keep hearing we have been in these past few years. I just haven't seen any thing to make me believe it is here yet.
Old June 7, 2013, 11:37 PM   #25
SVTCobra306

Locally here I'm starting to see things slowly return to normal.. stuff leaves fast but not "minutes" fast, it lasts several hours. Saw the first signs of bulk ammo coming back, 250 round packs at Bass Pro and 900 round cases of 5.56 at Scheels.. and I visited three stores in one day that all had primers (besides 209's, I don't count those) for the first time this year.

Local Wal Marts are still bare.. I have a gut feeling that either the employees are or know the scalpers and the stuff never hits the shelves, nothing is ever even disturbed. One local Wal Mart is getting AR's pretty regularly, that's a good thing.
Closed Thread