The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Kevin_d77

Night Sights on a Shield?

I have been doing some reading and it seems that they don't actually make them specifically for the Shield but you can get the ones for the full size M&P and get them to work. Had anyone tried this and what were your results/impressions? Also, what brand did you use?

I ordered a Theis kydex holster and wondered if the sights would need to be considered. I shot him a quick email and he stated that it wouldn't matter but not sure if the sights increase any dimensions since they're not actually for the Shield.

Thoughts/questions/comments?
Old March 20, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

This is a real problem. The full size sights will fit the dovetails but the slide is a little thinner so at least on the rear sight the edges of the sight are not perfectly flush with the slide contour. I installed Ameriglos.

The rear sight is not to hard to install. The front sight was a pain, a royal pain. It is an incredibly tight dovetail (you will find a lot of references to this fact in a search). I did not have a sight pusher that fit the Shield so I tried with brass punch. Of course I had to hit it so hard it broke the vial. You have to find an adjustable sight pusher as there are none specifically made for the Shield yet (that I know of anyway)
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 20, 2013, 02:26 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

My 2 & 2/5th cents...

If it were me; I'd spy the slick Trijicon 3 dot HD system; www.trijicon.com . They are bright, steel & robust.
Top pistolsmith & SWAT team commander; David Bowie of Ohio; www.bowietacticalconcepts.com , has great M&P night sights. I'm not sure if they fit the Shield models but you can check. I like the "operator" night type.

ClydeFrog
Old March 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Skadoosh

Huh...I would have thought that with the marketing the Shield has been getting, tritium night sights would be standard fit with non-tritium being an option.