The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1
dreamen

Stevens Model 77e 20 gauge

I found on the site the exploded view of the parts for this shotgun, does anyone know where I can get disassembly instructions? My trigger guard pin seems really tight. I have hit lightly with a pin punch but hate to hit it too hard? Also does the barrel come off this gun? Just got this and trying to take apart and clean it before I put it away.
Thanks for the help
Old September 7, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Resist the urge to take this one apart, if you can. Just clean the bore and chamber and let it go at that. I don't think the barrel comes off on your model easily without unscrewing it from the receiver, as best I recall.

But if you can't resist... recall it's often easier to take stuff apart than get it back together... and as far as I know the 20 gauge guns are the same mechanically as the 12s, but there are no guarantees here. This is what they call in some places "imperfect information."

CLEAR the magazine and chamber, twice. Three times even.

First step in disassembly is to remove the buttstock. Take off the buttplate or recoil pad, and remove the stock screw with a long shank screwdriver.

YOU MUST REMOVE THE BUTTSTOCK before you try to remove the trigger plate assembly, because the buttstock screw goes into an extension cast into the aluminum trigger plate. Thus the buttstock screw puts pressure on the trigger plate assembly when it is tightened, pulling the trigger plate back against the pin and screw that go through it inside the receiver. That tension must be releived before the trigger plate can be removed.

BE SURE the safety is on and stays on with the trigger plate assy out of the gun. Be sure you don't accidentally detach any of the parts of the trigger plate assy while it's outside the receiver. Things like the slide latch (on the left side looking from the rear) are just sitting there unstaked on a stud, under spring pressure, and waiting for a nudge in the wrong direction to come off. And pulling the trigger with the safety off while the assembly is outside the receiver can sometimes result in an energetic self-disassembly. Did I mention you should be careful with the trigger plate assembly while it was outside the receiver?

To get the bolt assembly out, slide the forearm all the way back till the bolt appears at the back of the receiver (with the stock off and the trigger plate removed, there's nothing in the way). Gently spring the rear of the action bar from its notch in the side of the bolt slide with a thin screwdriver, and remove the bolt and bolt slide to the rear.

On the LEFT side of the bolt slide is the action bar contact lug. This lug is a separate piece on some models and is staked into its notch in the bolt slide. Be sure it isn't loose and doesn't fall out when the bolt slide is removed, if yours is one of these. It can be re-staked with a centerpunch if necessary.

I wouldn't go any further if I were you. You can clean everything that needs cleaning as an assembly without taking it apart any further. There's some weird stuff about removing the forearm assembly that I don't even want to try and describe. The bolt assembly and trigger plate assembly can be soaked in HOT water with some dish soap for a while, rinsed out with more HOT water, and either left to dry from residual heat or gently blown out with compressed air, then re-lubricated carefully.

The inside of the receiver can be cleaned out with a spray of WD-40 and wiped out carefully with paper towels if necessary. Then the places where parts move can be re-lubricated.

The Stevens/Savage pumpsguns from that era are pains in the butt to mess with (compared to more maintenance-friendly designs). And they are somewhat fragile in several places- the cast aluminum trigger plate and the single action bar to name a couple.

If you can clean it well enough to suit you without field stripping it, that's what I would advise...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 7, 2011, 06:16 PM   #3
dreamen

Pin?

I appreciate the reply, I still am unable to get the pin out of the trigger mech, it will not budge. I have the stock off, back screw out but the pin is what is holding the trigger mech in. I have soaked with WD40,will wait till morning and see if soaking helps unless someone has a suggestion. I need to get it out as I have to get the one part back in that a small screw held. I should not of removed it. This will be the last time I ever take this one apart. I can do my 870 blindfolded, never have seen one like this.
Old September 7, 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

It should drift out with little difficulty with the right sized pin punch. Make sure there's not a 'head' on one end of the pin or the other, or that one end isn't splined to help hold it in place. If so you'll want to drift the pin out toward the larger end or the spline, if there is one.

Don't know much else to offer...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:21 AM   #5
dreamen

Pin is the same size on both ends. It just does not want to move. Soaked down with WD40. Will let is sit for a while
Old September 8, 2011, 07:46 PM   #6
BrittB

Tap towards the same direction that the screw removes from. That's how it worked best for me. I wouldn't take the Rube Goldberg appart if I were you though, it's a true PIA!
Old September 8, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
dreamen

Well, I have tried everything, I cannot get that pin out. Do not want to damage the receiver. I got the ejector pin and screw back in. I was hoping to clean the receiver, but I think this gun is history. If I cannot take it apart to clean it, time to get rid of it. I do not have a lot in it and it is in excellent condition. Not sure what I would do with a 20ga anyway. I will find another wingmaster and sell this one. This is the first Stevens and probably my last other than a 22 I got from my Dad. But it is simple to clean. Thanks for the help