The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 6, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
12beretta
Registration in progress

Vintage 12 Ga. breech load shotgun

I am trying to I.D. an early shotgun for a friend , it is a 12 Ga. breech loading gun with an unusual breech . It opens by rolling to the right on a hinge bar when the hammer is cocked , this piece also slides back to act as an ejector . It has a " 39 " inch barrel from breech to muzzle , the stock has a raised comb and has the numbers 343 on it near the butt , the same numbers are on the inside of the breech block but with a " P " in front .the butt plate rolls up over the top of the stock for about " 2 " inches .near the receiver on the barrel the letters LG inside a square appear ,on a screw at the rear of the sideplate is the number 15 , badly worn on the side plate are two lines of scroll the bottom looks like dE C ****** too worn to read . possibly military ? If I could figure out the process I would post pictures , still working on that . My brother has an old military rifle with a similar breech , he believes that to be belgian with the name Kor buhl ???? thanks for any help ......
Old April 6, 2011, 02:42 PM   #2
tater134

Does it look like this?

Old April 6, 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
12beretta
Registration in progress

Yes , it does , except for minor difference in the stock , Is your photo a shotgun ? if so what gauge ? the one I have appears to have a slightly longer forepiece with a barrel band .
Old April 6, 2011, 03:26 PM   #4
tater134

Mine is in 12ga. There are some variations in these shotguns. The stock style on mine is different from most because it was made to be sold in Germany. These guns are known as "Zulu shotguns" and they were made from French muskets that were then converted to breech loaders during the Franco-Prussian War and converted to 12 or 10ga shotguns when they were sold as surplus during the 1880's.
Old April 6, 2011, 07:18 PM   #5
12beretta
Registration in progress

" zulu shotgun "

I really appreciate your help and quick response , I think my friend Ray will be very happy to learn what he has , again thank you, this is a great site and forum and people like you sharing info. make it even better ....
Old April 6, 2011, 07:23 PM   #6
tater134

Glad I could help you out. If your friend plans on firing his he should make sure the breech isnt loose when closed and should use only lightly loaded black powder shells. Ive fired mine a few times but I havent had a chance to shoot any clays with it yet.
Old April 7, 2011, 05:33 PM   #7
PetahW

I'm not sure, but I believe that type breeching is referred to as "Snyder" type, after the Snyder rifles with the same type breechblock.