The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2010, 05:01 PM   #51
Berry's MfG

No, he contacted me about his bullets and I told him to use a micrometer and not calipers, or he could send some in for me to check.
Old July 21, 2010, 05:13 PM   #52
engineermike

Well lets see. Jay, I do not have a problem with your bullets that I know of. Although the 3000 rounds of Berry's bullets I do have are the first, of what I hope are many, of your bullets. It just occured to me that I didn't have a micrometer and since everyone in the reloading business seems to want to measure everything I thought I would add to my collection of tools. (Something about a guy thing ) Since I do not know the first thing about mirometers I thought I would get a general idea as to what brand/s were the best and go from there.

However, since I have started this proccess, everything is a proccess for me, I have come to the conclusion that if I ordered, say a thousand bullets, it might not be a bad idea to check about every one hundred one and see what the weight and diameters were. (I'll probablly check more often) You would be right that the micrometer would be more accurate as so far every time I have tried to use the callipers (Digital) the measurments have been off by at least .002 to .003 and sometimes more but it is not just your bullets it is on all the bullets I have measured. As it looks so far, I will probablly be loading your bullets and shooting them befor I get a micrometer. But as with most the real passing test will be what kind of pattern the bullets put on a target. I'm betting they will probably do fine if I keep them below a velocity of 1200.

Mike
Old July 21, 2010, 05:34 PM   #53
Berry's MfG

Please keep me posted Mike, i would like to hear what you discover.

Thanks - Jay
Old July 21, 2010, 05:46 PM   #54
engineermike

Mal,
I believe if you go to another thread further down titled "Undersized Berry's Bullets" You'll see how this thread got started and what Jay is refering to. Yes Jay I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Mike