The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 12, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
CaptainCrossman

Walker with full chambers of powder

shot a Walker for the first time in my life today- full chambers of Pioneer BP substitute-awesome gun. What amazed me was, it kicked less than the Colt 1860 or Rem 1858 w/full chambers of powder- due to the increased weight of the Walker. Actually very enjoyable and easy to shoot- and it didn't toss the loading ram downward either. Shot offhand shaky while kneeling on the ground from 25 yards, at an old rotted 1953 Plymouth hood that was laying in the woods, looked like about a 12" pattern just shooting quickly at the middle of the hood.

the Walker with its larger arbor and wedge/frame, is definitely stronger than the later medium frame Colts I've fired.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Poordevil

Didn't drop the loading lever? I thought they dropped almost every time with a full load of powder. Just what I have heard, I don't own a Walker.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Didn't drop the loading lever?
Try that with 60gr of fffg Black Powder and see how the Walker feels.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 12, 2009, 05:32 PM   #4
olyinaz

What do you think of the American Pioneer powder?

The FFFg looks to me more like FFg (or even more coarse than that) and I have trouble getting it to flow out of my powder flask. Which I find annoying...

It does seem to shoot cleaner however and it's got no sulfur smell which is nice.

Oly
Old May 12, 2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Smokin_Gun

Oly, I pretty much don't like any synthetic substitute powders...I've proved only to myself(and that's enough for me) that Real Black Powder shoots the most consistant and is the most reliable and has a longer shelf life in a can or loaded than any subs so far.
Now that's just my opinion but it's a very reliable one tried and true.
Old May 12, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Gbro

Quote:
and it's got no sulfur smell which is nice.
And one of my favorite smells.
My 1858 Army shoots very nice with 30grains fffg. What it gives up in accuracy it makes up for with a sweet cloud
Each their own, Ayee!
Old May 12, 2009, 11:08 PM   #7
olyinaz

>>>(Sulfer) - "one of my favorite smells."<<<

Good greif! Remind me to double down on the beans & franks if we ever road trip. Sheesh...

At any rate, I have to agree that BP is thus far impossible to beat (as far as I know) because all of the substitutes I've tried have some sort of major drawback. I was wondering what El Capitain thought of it.

Oly
Old May 13, 2009, 05:21 AM   #8
CaptainCrossman

Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Didn't drop the loading lever?
Try that with 60gr of fffg Black Powder and see how the Walker feels.

the gun is practically new- the latch catch is still tight.

actually I've found pyrodex kicks more than 3F BP, try that full cylinders compressed and see how it feels
Old May 13, 2009, 07:27 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Not every Walker drops the loading lever, my 2nd gen is good about not dropping it. I seldom fill it completely, 45grs is plenty for me.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:52 AM   #10
CaptainCrossman

Walkers are fun to shoot, but looking at this from a practical, common-sense stance: if you shoot only 45 grains from a Walker, you may as well just shoot a Remington 1858, my Rem 58 cylinder holds 42.6 grains

one time I actually filled each cylinder of the Rem '58 to the top, packed the powder down with the rammer, then topped each charge off with loose powder again, then put the balls over that and packed it in- so that would be at least 45 grains or more

the only reason I could see for carrying around/shooting the somewhat heavy Walker, would be for the advantage of the 60+ grains of powder capacity, and the higher velocity
Old May 13, 2009, 09:35 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Walkers are fun to shoot, but looking at this from a practical, common-sense stance: if you shoot only 45 grains from a Walker, you may as well just shoot a Remington 1858, my Rem 58 cylinder holds 42.6 grains
Colt specifications for the Walker are 35 to 55 grains of 3f with 50gr recommended. My particular revolver is most accurate at 45gr, so that's what I load. Loading more than 55gr just increases wear and tear on the revolver.

Uberti recommends 22gr for their 1858, that is a mild load. I shoot 30 to 35 in all my 58's. Again, over loading just wastes powder and tears up guns.

I have stuffed the chambers full of black, Pyrodex and Triple 7 just for the hell of it, but i sure don't do it often. What's the point, accuracy goes to crap and it beats the hell out of your revolver.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
actually I've found pyrodex kicks more than 3F BP, try that full cylinders compressed and see how it feels
The only substitute powder that don't seem like a wet fart goin' off is 777 ffg or fffg. The rest including Pyrodex ain't nothin' like the Holy Black (powder)...
Word!
Old May 13, 2009, 12:58 PM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
a wet fart goin' off
Don't you hate those That's funny.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:14 PM   #14
mykeal

Quote:
Colt specifications for the Walker are 35 to 55 grains of 3f with 50gr recommended. My particular revolver is most accurate at 45gr, so that's what I load. Loading more than 55gr just increases wear and tear on the revolver.

Uberti recommends 22gr for their 1858, that is a mild load. I shoot 30 to 35 in all my 58's. Again, over loading just wastes powder and tears up guns.
madcratebuilder puts it very well. The reason for carrying a Walker with 45 grains rather than a Remington with 45 grains is better accuracy and less abuse on the gun. Very simple.