The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2005, 06:56 PM   #1
xrageofangelsx

Relatively new the the shotgun scene; question on first shotgun for Home Defense

So as I journey further into more urban areas of our great country's Midwestern section, I seek what I am told is the ultimate of Self-Defense weapons; the shot gun. Versitle in as much as it can be loaded with slugs or shot, rock salt or "non-lethal" beanbags, I will be moving down into an area of Cincinnati that is not nearly as nice as the commute from Kentucky I now take.

While moving to a third place is simply out of the question I am wondering what is the best possible 12 gauge home defense weapon I can purchase, naturally, for as little as 300 dollars USD.

Because of my age, I will admit that I am somewhat drawn to the tactical side of things as a moth is drawn to the light yet the pricetags of such tactical items are usually enough to steer me away and back into the practical realm of things.

I have shot a few shotguns, so I am fully aware of the kick of a shotgun and that buckshot can and does go through drywall. However, though I will be moving to a urban area, I will only have to worry about one other person as a housemate in addition to our dog (outside only). So the worrying of buckshot going through several of our own house's walls and killing a loved one is slim.

What is being considered:

As of this very moment, I am considering purchasing a Mossberg 500 Persuader that holds 7. I would like to spent less than 500 dollars but if I can be convinced that spending a few more dollars will get me the proverbial bang for the buck, I wouldn't mind getting it. This will probably be my last gun purchase in the next year or so as I will be graduating from college and Sally Mae will be siphoning large portions of my paycheck.

I checked CDNN and I saw the H&K Home Defense 7+1 shotguns for 489.99 or so and this would explain my rant on tactical stuff. The H&K would be ubersweet to have, but I can't necessarily justify it.

Any other recommendations? Is it worth the price of the H&K?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2005, 07:58 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

For the $300 range you can have a Remington Express 870 Home Defense model.
For the money, this is probably the best buy.
http://www.remington.com/firearms/sh...70expsyn18.htm

What you get in the Express HD, is a STEEL shotgun, with the factory magazine extension.
For not much more money than the aluminum Mossberg you get a better quality, more durable gun, which you can add tactical "goodies" to later, as desired.

For less than $500 you can have the Cadallic: The Remington 870 Police model.
http://www.remingtonle.com
What you get in the Police gun, is the best quality, most durable pump shotgun in the world.
This is the gun that is used by more than 95% of all law enforcement agencies in America.
You can add any accessory made for shotguns.
Unlike most other guns, the 870 Police will give you NO problems, and will last you for the rest of your life, no matter HOW much you shoot it.
Old May 8, 2005, 08:16 PM   #3
locked'n'cocked

I agree with Dfariswheel. My sportsman's warehouse has a rem 870 with a factory extention for about $250. great, reliable gun.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:08 PM   #4
45 Fu

My HD shotgun is neither sexy nor "tactical" looking, but it works. I bought a 12 ga. Charles Daly Field pump with an 18" cyl. barrel. It has twin action bars and a front rifle sight. It will eat either 2 3/4" or 3" shells. I bought the gun, a five shell holder, pair of QD swivels and a sling for $200. I have shot everything from light game loads to heavy 3" magnum 00 buck and it has held up well.

I'm not knocking the 870. It's an excellent weapon. I'm just not a shotgun guy (I shoot a rifle much better) and the Daly does what I need it to do and I didn't break the bank getting what I needed. If you are in to smooth bores then I would go with a Mossberg or Remington, but if you are just wanting something to do the job the Daly's can't be beat.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:45 PM   #5
shojin

Nova Tactical

The Benelli Nova Tactical is a very nice pump shotgun. I just purchased on with ghost ring sights and a +2 extention tube for just under $400. And it makes nice tight patterns. I think think Novas are better made than current 870s. (Let the flames begin )
Old May 9, 2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Tomac

Remington 870 Police Magnum trade-ins like this one for $275: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976537741.htm are great deals as the shotguns have usually been carried lots but fired little. They'll have some cosmetic wear but are excellent internally.
Tomac
Old May 9, 2005, 08:22 AM   #7
BillCA

Let's not overlook the Winchester 1300 Defender. It's an aluminum alloy receiver so it's slightly lighter and faster handling than the 870. Twin action bars and 8 round capacity make it a good buy. If you'll be shooting a shotgun a lot, go with the 870. If you'll just use it for home defense and shoot it occasionally, go with the 1300 or a Mossberg.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:49 AM   #8
perception

Well, I seem to be in the minority, but I love my Mossberg 500, shoots extremely well and is pretty cheap. All of those tactical goodies can be bought and put on aftermarket. I love the ambidextrous safety probably the most, and thats why I recommend itt.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Romulus

Quote:
the 870 Police will give you NO problems
Dfaris, the ejector spring on my 870 PM came loose after a few rounds (the rivet wasn't peened down all the way) No prob, factory repair center fixed that problem. But let's not kid ourselves about Remington's QC these days, even the Police models suffer...that said it is a van-tastic piece

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old May 9, 2005, 02:16 PM   #10
9mm1033

You might want to read the article regarding HOME DEFENSE SHOTGUNS in the June issue of Guns & Ammo.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:42 PM   #11
xrageofangelsx

I really like what I see hear, but I can't find it for sale anywhere online...
Old May 10, 2005, 12:04 PM   #12
xrageofangelsx

I also picked up the new Guns and Ammo this month that features a couple-page article on Home Defense shotgun. Roughly the same recommendations are you guys. Thanks again!
Old May 11, 2005, 01:37 PM   #13
shooter_john

Mossberg 590A1
I jsut got mine a couple of months ago. Comes with 8+1 magazine, ghost ring sights, a bayonet/ accessory lug and is all STEEL. If it is tough enough for the U.S. Marines, it is tough enough for my house. It is also a decent skeet gun!
Old May 11, 2005, 06:47 PM   #14
Romulus

Quote:
Mossberg 590A1...is all STEEL
Unless Mossberg changed something recently, the receiver of the 590 is aluminum alloy

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano