The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2002, 06:46 AM   #1
Richard

Holster for CCW with a 5" 1911A1

I have four 1911A1 pistols that are set for carry. Heres the rub. If I try to carry strong side or behind the kidney the end of the barrel/holster shows. I am tall, wear my belt around my waist, and the bottom of the barrel/holster still shows below my sweater, jacket, or polo type shirt. I tried calling a couple of holster makers yesterday and they wouldn't offer any advice. I thought an inside the waistband might work. What say you, what brand, and what model? Thanks in advance and regards, Richard
Old April 9, 2002, 07:40 AM   #2
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Try a G-Code with a 15 degree forward cant paddle. I designed the rig to ride high and close to the body for just the reason you state. One stop Knife shop ( http://www.1sks.com/store/g-code.html ) has them on line or ask at your local shop as we have dealers nearly everywhere now.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old April 9, 2002, 09:29 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

What Scott said plus.
Your clothes are part of the rig. Too short is wrong.

I am little feller, carried 1911 for over 20 years, concealed. All weather, all seasons. Casual to formal. Leather is important, but so is your tailor.

Sam
Old April 9, 2002, 12:30 PM   #4
9mmepiphany

there are more great holsters for the 1911 than any other gun on the market, so there must be somthing out there. you must have just had bad luck with the makers you picked to call.

for serious carry, a custom maker is actually a better buy then the big manufacturers (leather as opposed to ploymer). i've had excellent experiences with alessi's holsters...lou is very forthcoming and will also refer you to another maker if they have somthing that fits you needs.

i've been able to carry a beretta 92/96 (harder to conceal due to thickness) OWB in a alessi ACP/DOJ under a eddie bauer XL t-shirt or polo...they have a "tall" size which is about 1-1.5" longer. my normal carry is in a forbus paddle holster under a medium jacket. when i wear a suit i switch to a safariland 5181 paddle for my sig 220...rides higher and closer to the body. the alessi CQC/s carries higher on the belt too.

if you go IWB, the longer barrel is actually an asset as it stablizes the butt of the gun against your body.
Old April 10, 2002, 11:36 AM   #5
jimsbowies

like you guys, I've tried 'em all

I've done the Galco Paddles, Wilson's, Kramer's, etc....

Try a Yaqui Slide....regardless of who makes it....you'll not go back
Old April 15, 2002, 11:46 AM   #6
Mike11b

I regularly carry a 5" Kimber Custom CDP (Switching to a Glock 36 when in shorts and a tee shirt, or when at a non-right minded client's where I have to remove my jacket. The 36 goes on the ankle in those instances). I have a DeSantis IWB, and a Kydex IWB from FIST-INC (The Kydex doesn't wear out on those sweaty days) that can convert to a tuckable. Kramer, Wilson Combat, Mitch Rosen, and Wild Bills all specialize in 1911 IWB's. Give Wild Bill a call.....he has good prices for handmade work.

The same above manufacturers have decent strong sides too. Though, I've found with a really good strong side that it is difficult to draw a full size 1911. I think that is in part because a strong side that is truly concealable has that high ride aspect to it. Difficult does not mean impossible though. i got around it by practicing my draws from concealed DAILY. It is a perishable skill.
Old April 15, 2002, 03:55 PM   #7
AK103K

I use a Blade-Tech IWB in kydex. Works great. Has a sweat shield all the way up the back and wont sweat through in the summer like leather. IWB is the most concealable of the belt holsters hands down. Sam's right about the clothes, they are a part of your rig. You could have the best holster out there, but its gonna stand out in that Speedo.