The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2017, 12:51 PM   #1
Seamaster

Can you use lead shot for casting?

The disease is progressing, started loading shot shells 10 years ago, metallic cartridges 4 years ago and now want to cast my own bullets.

In the process of scrounging up lead, mostly wheel weights to date, looking for any other suggestions? Considering melting lead shot, $1.60/lb. vs $3.00/lb. or more plus shipping from online sources. Any issues I should be concerned about?

Hope to start with .38 special 125 grn. FP or 9mm +/- 115grn. to 124grn., just for punching holes in paper.

TIA
Old April 4, 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
FITASC

Depending on the shot, the antimony can run from as low a0 to as high as 6%.

Right now, lead shot is running right at $35-$38 for the Peruvian Eagle brand

What might save you some money is calling around to your local trap/skeet clubs to see if they have any plans to have their fields mined. Clubs typically get 40% of the shot. cleaned and regraphited, to resell to the members. That usually runs ab out $25/bag
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 4, 2017, 02:35 PM   #3
dahermit

I had some cheap lead shot some years ago that I melted for casting. I found that it had a non-melting exteranl "crust" that left a lot of slag on top of the melt. At first I was confused in that it did not seem to melt and would just glow Red when I hit it with a propane torch. Then I found that I had to crush the shot on the side of the pot with my ladle to get it to release the lead alloy within. I found that better shot did not seem to do that.
But to answer your question, over the years I have found that with very few exceptions (Calcium-lead in no maintenance batteries, Zink contaminated lead, etc.), that if I could get it to melt, I could make handgun bullets out of it.
Old April 4, 2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Shot as mentioned usually has some antimony in it, which is why it usually is used to blend in with softer lead alloy to give it hardness.

That said if you already have a decent supply of WW' s that will cover about 90%of your casting needs especially for target bullets.

I might also suggest that you become a member of the Castboolit's website and browse the swapping and selling forum. There are usually folks there as well as in the vendora and sponsor forum who sell quality lead for a decent price delivered to your door.

You don't need anything special for the calibers you posted or anything overly hard. Straight wheel weights can be air cooled and run around a 12-14'ish BUN and quenched will go upwards of around 20-24.

I personally rarely use anything much more than alloy in the 10-12 range for 95% of my bullets and the other might gwt up to an 18 for the 454.
Old April 7, 2017, 11:28 AM   #5
Seamaster

Thanks for the responses, did read about the dangers with old car batteries.

Been reading/searching old threads and stickies and learning a lot, weatherman predicting better weather next week, hoping to start melting down some wheel weights and see what happens.
Old April 7, 2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

Wheel weights are great but dont make the mistake I dud and let the Zink ones melt in.
Old April 9, 2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Old 454

I dont know qhat you do for a living but i am lucky enough to get old water services from the city where i work.

Try to get old roofing lead.... window weights...old lead water services... i have even use old lead out of bell and spigot joints from old gas mains.. but they stink like all get out when melting them down.

Check scrap dealers to